English for Academic Purposes
Rhedir gan Bangor University International College
30.000 Credyd neu 15.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Mrs Deborah Mitchell
This module aims to raise the English language skills for life and study in the UK, and is intended for those who are seeking progression to a Bangor University degree requiring an entry level equivalent to IELTS 6.0 or higher.
The course makes students aware of the critical importance of English language competence in all four skills within an academic context and provides English language preparation for continuing academic study on an undergraduate degree programme at Bangor University.
The language learning content is skills based and maps against CEFR and IELTS level descriptors in Writing, Reading, Listening and Speaking.
The approach throughout is to direct skills learning and development towards applications within an academic environment. Attention is paid to the acquisition of formal language required for production of essays, reports and presentations, for drawing information from lectures and for an appropriate contribution to academic discourse.
The whole is set within the context of higher education in the UK and emphasis is placed on developing the students’ understanding of the demands placed on them by university study, of the conventions of academic study and of the notion of good and unacceptable academic practice.
Student has performed with a significant level of fluency in written and spoken English and demonstrated an ability to work effectively within a wide range of academic study skills. The student’s performance indicate a high level of suitability for degree level study.
Student has demonstrated sufficient ability in written and spoken English to earn the minimum level of pass to be considered appropriate for progression onto an undergraduate degree programme with an entry requirement of 6.0 IELTS.
Student has demonstrated a higher level of ability in written and spoken English in an academic context and has been able to secure a stronger level of pass indicating suitability for progression onto an undergraduate degree programme with an entry requirement of 6.5 IELTS.
Demonstrate the research, speaking and presentational skills required for presentations, seminars and debates
Make use of strategies to enable further independent development of English language ability.
Read academic texts, make decisions about usefulness of the content, and critically extract appropriate information with few problems around vocabulary and speed
Participate in classroom discourse as an information seeker and information provider to gain and give help where needed and to be able to give presentations within a classroom or test context, with few problems of organisation and clarity
Write subjective notes that are retrievable and referenceable
Demonstrate the listening skills required for effective note-taking on university-style lectures
Write extended texts appropriate to academic context with few problems of coherence and cohesion
Listen interactively in classes, whether in lecture, workshop or laboratory, to items of varying length and possess skills of repair (the ability to ask for clarification, repetition and exemplification)
|ARHOLIAD||Term 1 - listening exams||
2 lecture based listening exam(s) with answer keys.
|ARHOLIAD||Term 1 - reading exams||
2 academic reading exams with answer keys
|ARHOLIAD||Term 2 - writing exam||
Writing exam including the different stages of the essay writing process with an answer key and writing assessment criteria.
|CYFLWYNIAD GRWP||Term 2 - group presentation||
Group presentation assessed individually using speaking assessment criteria.
|TRAETHAWD||Term 3 - researched essay||
Researched essay including preparatory components with writing assessment criteria.
|LLAFAR||Term 3 - seminar discussion||
Group seminar discussion assessed individually using speaking assessment criteria.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
5 hours a week over 30 weeks
5 hours a week over 30 weeks
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Core textbook: De Chazal E & McCarter S (2012) Oxford EAP: A course in English for Academic Purposes (Upper Intermediate/B2) Oxford University Press: Oxford