Catchment Modelling & Analysis
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Sopan Patil
This module aims to teach:
- the role of modelling within the natural and environmental sciences
- the elements involved in building hydrological and biogeochemical process models at a catchment scale
- obtaining and preparing the input data needed for the models
- calibration and parameter uncertainty in catchment models
- analysing the consequences of catchment management decisions through multi-stakeholder interaction
Major themes covered
- Importance of models in scientific inquiry
- A brief history of different approaches to catchment modelling
- Introduction to MATLAB programming language
- Obtaining and processing the input data for models
- Modelling of hydrological processes
- Automated calibration of model parameters
- Lumped vs. distributed catchment models
- Polyscape: A landscape analysis tool for modelling the effects of multi-stakeholder interaction in catchment management decisions
Grade D- to D+ Adequate knowledge of the key concepts in catchment modelling. Evidence of limited ability in the use of MATLAB programming language for data visualisation and building catchment models. Structured, accurate and relevant description of the existing catchment models in the literature. Basic level of critical evaluation expected.
Grade C- to B+ Clear understanding and thorough knowledge of the key concepts in catchment modelling with ability to independently use MATLAB programming language for data visualisation and building catchment models. Evidence of reading and knowledge of the connection between hydrological and biogeochemical processes on the landscape, as well as the role of humans in modifying them. Thorough analysis and critical evaluation of existing catchment models in the literature. High standard of presentation.
Grade A- to A** Clear understanding, wide and thorough knowledge of the key concepts in catchment modelling. Evidence of a substantial ability in using MATLAB programming language for data visualisation and building catchment models. Evidence of substantial reading and appreciation of the connection between hydrological and biogeochemical processes on the landscape, as well as the role of humans in modifying them. Critical evaluation of existing catchment models in the literature with well-reasoned opinion. Elegant and flowing presentation, with flair for subject.
A thorough understanding of basic environmental modelling concepts such as the control volume approach, interaction and coupling of multiple processes, input data preparation, and parameter calibration
An ability to visualise the data and build process-based models in MATLAB programming language.
An ability to understand and critique existing catchment models in the literature, especially their assumptions and limitations.
An understanding of how models can inform land-use decisions by different stakeholders that affect catchment processes.
|Practical 1 - Introductory MATLAB programming||20.00|
|Practical 2 - Building and running a hydrological model using MATLAB||25.00|
|Individual Written Report||30.00|
|Catchment Management and Modelling||10.00|
|Catchment Model Presentation||15.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||10|
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Recognize and apply appropriate theories and concepts from a range of disciplines.
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Collect, analyse and interpret primary and/or secondary data using appropriate qualitative and/or quantitative techniques.
- Awareness of the concepts of spatial and temporal scale in understanding processes and relationships.
- Apply appropriate techniques for presenting spatial and/or temporal trends in data.
- Preparation of effective maps, diagrams and visualizations.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/dxx-3707.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C183: BSC Appl.Terrestrial & Marine Ec 4 year 4 (BSC/APTME)
- C185: BSc Applied Terrestrial & Marine Ecology with Intl Exp (5yr) year 4 (BSC/APTMIE)
- C180: BSc Appl. Terrestrial &Marine Ec year 3 (BSC/ATME)
- C184: BSc App Terrestrial & Marine Ecology with Intl Experience year 4 (BSC/ATMEIE)
- C13P: BSc Applied Terrestrial and Marine Ecology with Placement Yr year 4 (BSC/ATMEP)
- D447: BSC Environmental Conservation year 3 (BSC/ECON)
- D448: BSC Environmental Conservation year 4 (BSC/ECON4)
- D451: BSc Environmental Conservation (International Experience) year 4 (BSC/ENIE)
- F900: BSC Environmental Science year 3 (BSC/ES)
- F901: BSc Environmental Science (4 yr with placement) year 4 (BSC/ES4)
- F90F: BSc Environmental Science year 3 (BSC/ESF)
- 8U71: BSc Environmental Science (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/ESIE)
- F803: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 3 (BSC/GEF)
- F804: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 4 (BSC/GEF4)
- F807: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry with Intl Exp year 4 (BSC/GEFIE)
- F800: BSC Geography year 3 (BSC/GEOG)
- F806: BSc Geography (4 yr with placement) year 4 (BSC/GEOG4)
- F802: BSc Geography (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/GEOGIE)
- F840: BSc Physical Geography and Oceanography year 3 (BSC/PGO)
- F84P: BSc Physical Geography and Oceanography with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/PGOP)
- F850: Master of Environmental Science year 3 (M/ENVSCI)
- F851: MEnvSci Environmental Science with International Experience year 4 (MENVSC/ESIE)
- F801: MGeog Geography year 3 (MGEOG/G)
- F805: MGeog Geography with International Experience year 4 (MGEOG/GIE)