Systems & Design Thinking
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
This module provides frameworks and methods for understanding complex systems and design thinking, informed by systems and design theory. You will learn frameworks, processes and methods that support the design of new products and systems that interact with real-world scenarios. You will apply frameworks and discover, define, develop and deliver a proposal to solve a complex, human-centred challenge.
Indicative content includes:
- Systems in real-world scenarios
- We readily understand and solve problems that are well defined, but the systems we need to design are required to work in the real world; in situations that are ill-defined.
- Systems Thinking
- Systems interact with their environment creating outcomes that are unexpected.
- Frameworks, processes, and methods to understand complex human-centred challenges.
- Models taken from control theory to model human and social systems.
- Design Thinking
- Direct, linear approaches to solving complex problems seldom work.
- Iterative, divergent and convergent proceses and methods and the co-evolution of problem-solution pairs.
- Structured Communicaiton
- Complex challenges are multifaceted and scenario based approaches.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Equivalent to 40%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Communicate challenges, their component aspects, potential solutions and their designs in an efficient manner.
Illustrate systems, in real-world scenarios, using frameworks that help discover and define complex human-centric problems.
Apply frameworks, processes and methods to explore and analyse complex human centred challenges.
Combine and apply frameworks to develop and deliver prototypes for solutions to problems analysed.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Tutor-directed private study, including revision.
Students complete a group project, 12 through Enterprise by Design.
Traditional lecture (2 hrs x 10 weeks)
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Identify emerging technologies and technology trends;
- Apply an understanding and appreciation of continuous improvement techniques
- Apply underpinning concepts and ideas of engineering;
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Plan, budget, organise and manage people and resources;
- Agree objectives and work plans with individuals;
- Use both verbal and written communication skills to different target audiences;
- Communicate proposals persuasively and respond positively to feedback;
- Analyse and display data using appropriate methods and mathematical techniques;
- Demonstrate familiarity with relevant subject specific and general computer software packages.
- Knowledge and understanding of facts, concepts, principles & theories
- Use of such knowledge in modelling and design
- Problem solving strategies
- Analyse if/how a system meets current and future requirements
- Deploy theory in design, implementation and evaluation of systems
- Knowledge and understanding of commercial and economic issues
- Knowledge of management techniques to achieve objectives
- Specify, design or construct computer-based systems
- Evaluate systems in terms of quality and trade-offs
- Recognise risk/safety for safe operation of computing equipment
- Deploy tools effectively
- Work as a member of a development team
- Development of general transferable skills
- Deploy systems to meet business goals
- Knowledge of systems architecture
- Specify, deploy, verify and maintain information systems
- Defining problems, managing design process and evaluating outcomes
- System Design
- Knowledge and/or understanding of appropriate scientific and engineering principles
- Knowledge and understanding of mathematical principles
- Knowledge and understanding of computational modelling
- Specify, deploy, verify and maintain computer-based systems
- Principles of appropriate supporting engineering and scientific disciplines
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- GW49: BSC Creative Technologies year 3 (BSC/CT)