Physiological Assessment Skills
Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Mr Kevin Williams
The aim of this module is to provide students with core physiological testing skills and to ensure a sufficient level of understanding through academic and practical experience.
- Anthropometry, Somatotyping and Bodycomposition Assessments
- Blood Pressure and Pre Screening.
- Indirect Maximal Oxygen Uptake Procedures
- Direct Maximal Oxygen Uptake Procedures
- Spirometry (Closed Loop and Open Loop)
- Capillary Blood Sampling (Hematocrit, Heamoglobin, Blood Lactate)
- Methods of Assessing Aerobic Endurance Performance
- Methods of Assessing Anaerobic Power and Capacity
- Flexibility Assessments
- Communication Skills
- Interactive and Group Skills
- Data interpretation
- Application of theory into practice
- Assessing safety and ethical issues
C (50-59%) Mediocre – A clearer understanding of assignment requirements. Demonstrated ability to complete all tests. Evidence of physiological understanding with few inaccuracies and misconceptions evident. Tests may have needed more rehearsal as well as providing more detailed instruction for the participant. Clearer understanding of safety considerations.
B (60-69%) Good/Very Good– A very good understanding of assessment requirements. Demonstrated ability to complete all tests. A clearer understanding of physiological concepts. Very few inaccuracies and misconceptions evident. Well-rehearsed with sufficient instruction. A very good understanding of safety considerations.
F (0-29%) Very poor/fail – Failure to successfully perform physiological assessments with mostly irrelevant or incorrect responses to theoretical questions. Little or no instruction provided to participants, little or no knowledge of safety considerations prior to testing.
E (30-39%) Poor – Insufficient understanding of the Physiological assessments and the corresponding theoretical concepts. Little instruction provided to participants. Poor understanding of safety considerations.
D (40-49%) Pass - Basic understanding of the physiological assessments and theoretical concepts. Test may be partially complete or accuracy may be questionable. Limited physiological understanding. Poorly rehearsed and therefore lacks direction and depth. Inaccuracies and misconceptions evident. Basic instruction and communication with participant. Basic understanding of safety considerations.
Module failure that prevents you passing the year will require resit assessment and attendance at Supplementary Assessment Week
A (70-100%) Excellent - An excellent understanding of assessment requirements. Demonstrated ability to complete all tests with excellent responses provided to theoretical questions. No inaccuracies and misconceptions evident. Very well-rehearsed with excellent communication and instruction. An excellent understanding of safety considerations.
Demonstrate an awareness of safety considerations for testing
Demonstrate effective communication with a participant
Demonstrate competency in a number of core laboratory based physiological assessments
Demonstrate a theoretical understanding of physiological concepts and how data can be interpreted and applied
|ARHOLIAD||Client Feedback Report||
30min Practical examination, demonstrating various testing procedures with a client with Viva Voce style theoretical questions at the end of each protocol.
|ASESIAD FFURFIANNOL||Online Viva Voce Examination||
Formative MCQ to help monitor progress throughout the module.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
Interactive laboratory sessions with a theoretical introduction and practical application
Background reading, laboratory preparation, MCQ formative assessments and supervised preparation for the examination
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- critically assess and evaluate data and evidence in the context of research methodologies and data sources
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- self-appraise and reflect on practice
- recognise and respond to moral, ethical, sustainability and safety issues that directly pertain to the context of study including relevant legislation and professional codes of conduct
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.
- demonstrate effective robust data collection methods
- Advanced fitness assessment and exercise prescription - Vivian H. Heyward, Ann L. Gibson , 2014
- Physiological tests for elite athletes - Rebecca K. Tanner, Christopher John Gore, Australian Institute of Sport, c2013
- ACSM's guidelines for exercise testing and prescription - Linda S. Pescatello, American College of Sports Medicine, c2014
- Kinanthropometry and exercise physiology laboratory manual: tests, procedures, and data
- Roger G. Eston, Thomas Reilly, 2009
- Physiological assessment of human fitness - Peter J. Maud, Carl Foster, c2006
- Sport and Exercise Physiology Testing: Guidelines : The British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences Guide - Edward M. Winter, British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences, 2006
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C61F: BSc Sport & Exercise Science with Foundation Year year 2 (BSC/SESF)
- CB69: BSC Sport, Health & Exercise Sci. year 2 (BSC/SHES)
- CB70: BSc Sport, Health & Exercise Science with International Exp year 2 (BSC/SHSIE)
- C600: BSC Sports Science year 2 (BSC/SPS)
- C60P: BSc Sport Science with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/SPSP)
- C604: BSc Sports Science (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/SSIE)
- C608: MSci Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences year 2 (MSCI/SHS)
- C607: MSci Sport Science year 2 (MSCI/SS)
- C613: MSci Sport Science with International Experience year 2 (MSCI/SSIE)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C611: BSc Adventure Sport Science year 2 (BSC/ASS)
- C61P: BSc Adventure Sport Science with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/ASSP)
- C651: BSC Sport- Health & Physical Educ year 2 (BSC/SHPE)
- C602: BSC Sport Science (ODA) year 2 (BSC/SSOA)
- C612: MSci Adventure Sport Science year 2 (MSCI/ASS)
- C609: MSci Sport Science (Outdoor Activities) year 2 (MSCI/SSOA)