Poetry and Short Fiction: Image, Voice and Narrative
Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Zoë Skoulding
The aims of the module are:
To encourage a critical understanding of the particular qualities of the short story and of contemporary poetry
To develop a comprehensive understanding of how to use techniques appropriate to a specific literary form
To enhance students' ability to edit and revise creative work to a high standard
To enable students to reflect critically on creative practice in order to sustain and develop it.
This module focuses on the specific literary qualities of the short story and the poem, and how to achieve them. It is designed to build expertise in writing with precision and originality in these forms. In addition to exploring the qualities of each form, the module will suggest ways of considering the interface between them, for example in the use of imagery or by comparing the prose poem with flash fiction. Models from short stories will demonstrate how fiction writers, through dialogue and realist notation, create scenes that define character and develop plot. Students will develop an understanding of how to use imagery, voice and structure effectively in their own stories, as well as how to use experimental techniques to challenge traditional expectations.
C- i C+
A 2(ii) candidate’s work will show many of the following qualities:
Some attempt at serious exploration of ideas.
Some link between themes and form. Good attempt to engage with form, but this may not be entirely sustained.
Use of language technically proficient, but not always focused.
Some awareness of the creative process and of decisions made in writing.
Good work, but its strengths need to be more fully sustained to reach publishable standard.
A 3rd class candidate’s work will show many of the following features:
Limited engagement with ideas.
Link between themes and form not always clear.
Limited sense of formal conventions. Inconsistent with regard to linguistic technicalities.
Limited awareness of redrafting and editing process.
Typically, the work of a first class candidate will show many of the following qualities:
Excellent levels of originality, vision and depth; striking and thorough engagement with ideas.
Excellent understanding and control of form.
Impressive linguistic control and/or innovation.
Sophisticated understanding of the creative process and assured control of decisions made in writing.
Dynamic work approaching publishable standard.
A 2(i) candidate’s work will show many of the following qualities:
Demonstration of a degree of vitality and originality.
Very good understanding of generic conventions; sound use of structures and forms.
Resourceful use of language.
Sound understanding of the creative process and thoughtful control of decisions made in writing.
Very good work, which at times comes close to publishable standard.
- A critical understanding of the particular qualities of the short story and of contemporary poetry
- Comprehensive understanding of how to use techniques appropriate to a specific literary form
- The ability to edit and revise creative work to a high standard
- Ability to reflect critically on creative practice in order to sustain and develop it.
|LLYFR LOG NEU BORTFFOLIO||Portfolio 1||
A portfolio of six poems, or a mixture of poetry and microfiction, with 500 word commentary and a review of 400 words of a poetry collection by one of the visiting writers.
|LLYFR LOG NEU BORTFFOLIO||Portfolio 2||
Either seven poems or 2,000 words of short fiction with a critical commentary of 500 words and a comparative review of readings by visiting writers (400 words).
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Twenty-two weekly one-hour seminars over Semesters 1 and 2. Two readings by visiting writers.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/qxp-2001.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- WP83: BA Media Studies & Creative Wrtng year 2 (BA/CWMS)
- 2P78: BA English Lit with Creative Writing with International Exp year 2 (BA/ECI)
- 2P17: BA English Literature and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/ENCW)
- 2D13: BA English Literature with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/ENGLC)
- P3W8: BA Film Studies and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/FSCW)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/MUSCW)
- Q2W9: MArts English Literature with Creative Writing year 2 (MARTS/ELCW)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W890: BA Creative&Professional Writing year 2 (BA/CPW)
- 8G55: BA English Language with Creative Writing (with Int Exp) year 3 (BA/ELCIE)
- Q3WL: BA Eng Lang with Creat Writ year 2 (BA/ELCW)
- R1W8: BA French with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/FRCW)
- R2W8: BA German with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/GERCW)
- R4W8: BA Spanish with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/SPCW)