Rhedir gan School of History, Law and Social Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Joshua Andrews
The aim of the module is to examine the relevance of ethics to debates concerning controversial issues in contemporary society. This will be done in relation to some of the following issues: responsibility for alleviating world poverty; responsible care for the environment; problems relating to euthanasia; the issue of abortion and women’s rights; and the justification for war. The purpose will be to enable students to view various sides of the argument in each case and come to their own considered conclusions.
The module will begin with a brief outline of the various ethical challenges which face contemporary society. It will then consider the following issues: (a) world poverty (is it the responsibility of individuals or governments or both to alleviate world poverty?); (b) the arguments justifying an environmental ethic; ethical considerations to be considered in the case of voluntary and non-voluntary euthanasia; the issue of abortion the notion of reverence for human life; war and peace (the just war theory; ethics and nuclear weapons etc.)
Generally accurate but with omissions and errors. Assertions are made without clear supporting evidence or reasoning. Has structure but is lacking in clarity and therefore relies on the reader to make links and assumptions. Draws on a relatively narrow range of material.
Good C- - C +. Submitted work is competent throughout and occasionally distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates: Good structure and logically developed arguments. At least in parts draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student. Assertions are, in the main, backed by evidence and sound reasoning. Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
Very Good B- - B+. Submitted work is competent throughout and distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates: Very good structure and logically developed arguments. Draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student. Assertions are backed by evidence and sound reasoning. Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
Excellent A - - A*. Submitted work is of an outstanding quality and excellent in one or more of the following ways: Has originality of exposition with the student’s own thinking being readily apparent. Provides clear evidence of extensive and relevant independent study. Arguments are laid down with clarity and provide the reader with successive stages of consideration to reach conclusions.
be fully appraised of the complexity and ambiguity involved in arguments relating to issues of contemporary concern
demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the relevant study skills and be able to present arguments in a clear and convincing manner, when presented both orally and in written form.
engage in critical dialogue with a range of ethicists on specific issues of contemporary concern
critically evaluate ethical controversies with reference to specific case studies
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- R806: BA Modern Languages & Philosophy, Ethics & Religion year 4 (BA/MLPRE)
- V5V6: BA Philosophy, Ethics and Religion year 3 (BA/PER)
- VV56: BA Philosophy and Religion year 3 (BA/PHRE)
- VV5P: BA Philosophy and Religion with Placement Year year 3 (BA/PHREP)
- L200: BA Politics year 3 (BA/POL)
- L20F: BA Politics [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/POLF)
- L201: BA Politics with Placement Year year 3 (BA/POLP)
- 3VQV: BA Philosophy and Religion and English Literature year 3 (BA/PREN)
- VVR1: BA Philosophy and Religion and French year 4 (BA/PRF)
- VVR2: BA Philosophy and Religion and German year 4 (BA/PRG)
- VVV1: BA Philosophy and Religion and History year 3 (BA/PRH)
- VVR3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Italian year 4 (BA/PRI)
- VV57: BA Philosophy and Religion with International Experience year 3 (BA/PRIE)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 3 (BA/PRM)
- VVR4: BA Philosophy and Religion and Spanish year 4 (BA/PRS)
- VVQ5: BA Philosophy and Religion and Welsh year 3 (BA/PRW)
- VVV2: BA Philosophy and Religion and Welsh History year 3 (BA/PRWH)
- M1V5: LLB Law with Philosophy and Religion year 3 (LLB/LPR)