Rhedir gan School of Education and Human Development
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Margiad Williams
Note: this module will be run as a short, fat module in weeks 1-7
The module aims to develop students’ understanding of the theoretical frameworks and methodologies which underpin approaches to research in the field of childhood and education. It looks at how methodology is used to produce firm evidence and how to use the evidence for analysis. The appropriate steps to use in carrying out ethical research with children are explained and guidance is given on how to use different skills to investigate and to present findings in a research report. Students will formulate, in discussion with a supervisor, a research proposal – being clear about methodology adopted and how that influences their approach. The module prepares students for dissertation module XAE3023 in BA Childhood Studies.
The module focuses on:
• research skills, dissertation writing skills, and choosing the right methodology for the students' research field;
• principal modes of data collection, including interviews, focus groups, and questionnaires. • examples from the lecturer’s own research and from other work within the School including the experiences of doctoral and post doctoral researchers. • philosophic bases of research, discussing and explaining the nature of a dissertation and identifying and selecting an area of study; • main concepts involved in forming the questions to be studied and making a hypothesis.
A satisfactory knowledge and understanding of ethical issues regarding researching with children, the ability to select methodology and be able to design and present a plan for a research project.
A good knowledge and understanding of ethical issues regarding researching with children, the ability to select appropriate methodology and be able to design and present a robust plan for a research project.
A comprehensive knowledge and in depth understanding of ethical issues regarding researching with children, the ability to select appropriate methodology from a range of sources, and be able to design and present a polished and comprehensive plan for a research project.
Confidently and competently present prepared and impromptu speeches
evaluate key theories and debates in research methodology, including the significance of qualitative and quantitative research approaches, and understand how they relate to researching with children and young people
demonstrate critical understanding of the range of ethical considerations of undertaking research with children and young people and be able to evaluate the various methods
critically discuss academic, peer-reviewed literature that is relevant to the research topic
critically discuss the different methods of research, and be able to reflect critically on their limitations and advantages in relation to a range of contexts
demonstrate critical understanding of the content of a good research report
formulate a research proposal, including selecting appropriate research methods, on a topic relating to children and young people
|Mini Research Project||40.00|
|Bangor Oral Presentation Scheme||10.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
1 x 2 hour, weekly on-line session, weeks 1-6 Semester 1 [12 hours] Preparation for Assignment 2 (1 x 2 hour session?) and supervision of research proposal with supervisor in Semester 2 (4 sessions x1 hours) [6 hours]
7 hours activity per week, weeks 1-6 Semester 1 in preparation for weekly on-line sessions [42 hours]
Independent study for Assignments 1 and 2 [140 hours]
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- apply multiple perspectives to early childhood issues recognising that early childhood studies involves a range of research methods theories evidence and applications
- integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in early childhood studies and recognise distinctive early childhood studies approaches to relevant issues
- reflect upon the ethics of studying babies and young children and their families and communities
- generate and explore hypotheses and research questions relating to early childhood in an ecological context
- carry out empirical studies ethically involving a variety of methods of data collection including observation relating to early childhood in an ecological context