Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Eifiona Lane
The course covers the political, economic, environmental and socio-cultural understanding of food production, marketing/distribution and consumption, power-laden processes revealed as connected in time and space. The module will encourage students to develop a holistic understanding of food systems in the global North and South, including current trends that restructure the North/South divide. Students will develop proficiency in the use of quantitative and qualitative methods to understand, compare and evaluate both global and localised food systems enacted at different locations and scales. In addition, students will gain experience of both field-based and desk-based studies of Food Geographies. Field-visits will be to local case-study sites.
The module will combine lecture-, seminar- and field-based learning that will cover the following themes:
Transnational corporations, food security, soils and land. Environmental and community impacts of global food (Global South) e.g. Clearances and Plantations. Traditional and alternative food systems. Food Regimes, packaging and waste. Farming, the environment and Food production. Re-localised food economies (Global North) and place-based foods. New challenges & horizons in sustainable global food.
Grades B- to B+: Much or most of the relevant information and skills accurately deployed. Good/adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good/fair integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed works' objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Grades D- to C+: No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information / skills. Some grasp of theoretical conceptual practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed works' objectives.
Grades A- and above: An outstanding performance, exceptionally able. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Very good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills
Demonstrate a conceptual and practical understanding of a wide range of food innovations and the ability to apply this knowledge within a practical and sustainable resource management setting.
Demonstrate a critical understanding of key issues in Food Geographies from an academic and practitioner viewpoint.
Effectively collate and synthesize information and arguments from a variety of information sources and from field-based learning.
Display excellent skills in communicating new developments within and across a wide range of food and drink geographies.
|Field based report||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Recognize and apply appropriate theories and concepts from a range of disciplines.
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Awareness of the concepts of spatial and temporal scale in understanding processes and relationships.
- Appreciation of the reciprocal nature of human-environmental relationships.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Field work clothing and footwear as appropriate
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- L700: BA Geography year 3 (BA/GEOG)
- L702: BA Geography (4 yr with placement) year 4 (BA/GEOG4)
- L701: BA Geography (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/GEOGIE)
- F803: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 3 (BSC/GEF)
- F804: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 4 (BSC/GEF4)
- F807: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry with Intl Exp year 4 (BSC/GEFIE)
- F800: BSC Geography year 3 (BSC/GEOG)
- F806: BSc Geography (4 yr with placement) year 4 (BSC/GEOG4)
- F802: BSc Geography (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/GEOGIE)
- F801: MGeog Geography year 3 (MGEOG/G)
- F805: MGeog Geography with International Experience year 4 (MGEOG/GIE)