Networking Theory and Practice
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Mr Alex Clewett
• Introduce the foundations of computer networking • Develop a clear understanding of network routing and switching • Give a both a theoretical and practical method of network implementation • Provide a robust guide to real business networks in SMEs • Introduce a range of tools for network implementation and diagnostics for cross-OS systems • Explain the concepts of a client/server system • Consider the social, cultural and business implication of networks and their security
Indicative content includes:
1 a) Network Standards and Definitions. b) OSI Model. c) The Internet, WANS and LANS. d) Bandwidth and Contention. e) Network components and Services. f) Communication Protocols ie. IPv4, IPv6, Ports/Sockets etc. g) Routing, Switching and Firewalls.
2 a) Network Design. b) Cable management and routing. c) Cost/Value/Robustness analysis. d) Component prioritization for SME networks. e) Cabling tools and components, eg RJ45 cabling and patching.
3 a) How to implement servers to manage a small network i.e. DHCP, DNS etc. b) Be able to make effective use of wireless network technologies. c) To setup and administer other servers and configure security appliances to protect the network.
4 a) Use devices to help end users gain maximum potential from the network. b) Integrate other technologies to improve “up-time” eg UPS, Router VPNs etc. c) Look at WAN connections and the options available, eg. ADSL, Cable, fibre etc.
5 a) Look at VOIP implementations. b) Consider types of monitoring systems, e.g. SCADA. c) Explore the benefits of Ethernet use in control systems and business efficiency. d) Gain a brief insight to the mainstream social web tools.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Equivalent to 40%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Describe the extent to which networks and the technologies play a role on society
Understand the main types of network and the terminology used to describe it.
Implement and specify real network solutions for SMEs and be able to diagnose network faults
Administer and implement client/server systems for a network
Demonstrate the ability to interpret SME needs though robust design and specification
|In class test 1||20.00|
|In class test 2||20.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Traditional Lectures (1 hours x 24 weeks)
2 hours of assessed laboratory per week (24 weeks)
Tutor-directed private study, including individual assessments.
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Knowledge and understanding of facts, concepts, principles & theories
- Use of such knowledge in modelling and design
- Analyse if/how a system meets current and future requirements
- Deploy theory in design, implementation and evaluation of systems
- Knowledge and understanding of commercial and economic issues
- Knowledge of information security issues
- Deploy tools effectively
- Development of general transferable skills
- Deploy systems to meet business goals
- Specify, deploy, verify and maintain information systems
- Defining problems, managing design process and evaluating outcomes
- Specify, deploy, verify and maintain computer-based systems
- Principles of appropriate supporting engineering and scientific disciplines
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- I110: BSc Computer Information Systems year 1 (BSC/CIS)
- I11B: BSc Computer Information Systems (4 year with Incorp Found) year 1 (BSC/CIS1)