Internet of Things
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Understand the technologies behind the buzzword. Provide the learner with the knowledge and skills necessary to prototype Internet of Things deployments for real environments.
Indicative content includes:
- Behind the buzzword, the 'what' and the 'why' of IoT.
- Architecture of an IoT deployment.
- Information at different scales, from single data points to sensor networks for big data.
- Looking at a range of communication options.
- Security, influences and impact.
- Exploring the server side, prototyping with open platforms.
- Prototyping devices with a network connection.
- Prototyping lower cost, low bandwidth, low power devices for scale.
Equivalent to 40%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Illustrate the processing flow of information from IoT devices to an end-user.
Understand the why and the what of Internet of Things [IoT]. Be able to describe a typical architecture for an IoT deployment.
Construct a server to act as a conduit between an IoT device and it's user.
Differentiate methods of communications in an IoT deployment, and their possible pros/cons.
Contrast the costs, in time and effort, of securing IoT deployments.
Prototype simple IoT devices using common development boards.
|Internet of Things Infographic||10.00|
|IoT Solutions Portfolio||90.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Seminars explaining a principle leading to a technical workshop.
Tutor-directed private study including individual assessments.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Identify emerging technologies and technology trends;
- Apply underpinning concepts and ideas of engineering;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions, especially ones that include embedded microprocessors
- Formulate and analyse requirements and practical constraints of products, processes and services, place them in an engineering context and manage their implementation;
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Systematically review factors affecting the implementation of a project, including safety and sustainability;
- Appreciate the importance of designing products with due regard to good laboratory practice, health and safety considerations and ethical issues.
- Use both verbal and written communication skills to different target audiences;
- Communicate proposals persuasively and respond positively to feedback;
- Analyse and display data using appropriate methods and mathematical techniques;
- Demonstrate familiarity with relevant subject specific and general computer software packages.
- Demonstrate an awareness of current advances and contemporary approaches in the discipline and have strategies for keeping that awareness current;
- Demonstrate an awareness of the need to work safely and comply within relevant legislative and regulatory frameworks;
- Knowledge and understanding of facts, concepts, principles & theories
- Use of such knowledge in modelling and design
- Problem solving strategies
- Analyse if/how a system meets current and future requirements
- Deploy theory in design, implementation and evaluation of systems
- Knowledge of information security issues
- Specify, design or construct computer-based systems
- Evaluate systems in terms of quality and trade-offs
- Recognise risk/safety for safe operation of computing equipment
- Deploy tools effectively
- Development of general transferable skills
- Deploy systems to meet business goals
- Methods, techniques and tools for information modelling, management and security
- Knowledge of systems architecture
- Specify, deploy, verify and maintain information systems
- System Design
- Specify, deploy, verify and maintain computer-based systems
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- H612: BEng Computer Systs Eng (3 yrs) year 3 (BENG/CSE)
- H61B: BEng Computer Sys Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BENG/CSE1)
- I110: BSc Computer Information Systems year 3 (BSC/CIS)
- I11B: BSc Computer Information Systems (4 year with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/CIS1)
- I111: BSc Computer Information Systems with International Exp year 4 (BSC/CISIE)
- I11P: BSc Computer Information Systems with Industrial Placement year 4 (BSC/CISP)
- G400: BSC Computer Science year 3 (BSC/CS)
- GW49: BSC Creative Technologies year 3 (BSC/CT)
- H117: MComp Computer Science year 3 (MCOMP/CS)
- H617: MEng Computer Systs Eng (4 yrs) year 3 (MENG/CSE)