Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
This module aims to expose students to the concerns of engineering on an industrial scale. This includes emerging techniques and concerns, as well as established elements.
Indicative content includes:
- Understand the drivers and enablers of Industry 4.0.
- Understand the various stages of industrial revolutions.
- Understand what is meant by smart factories and how they compare to existing ones.
- Understand what is meant by Internet of Thing (IoT) and Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT).
- Understand the role and importance of Data Science leading to data-driven decisions and automation.
- Understand the role of Cyber Physical Systems and other major systems in Industry 4.0.
- Understand the use of collaborative robots in industrial contexts.
- Understand the challenges in cybersecurity in engineering and how to reduce them.
- Examples of smart automations, products and services.
Understand how organisations and their workforce can better prepare for Industry 4.0 . Industrial Engineering
Understand and be able to apply the traditional techniques of method study.
- Understand the factors that affect the ergonomic design of jobs, tools and equipment, and the workplace.
- Apply relevant work study and lean production techniques to the design of production systems.
- Understand the roles of time standards in manufacturing.
- Know the different ways in which time standards can be determined and the advantages and disadvantages of each method.
- Understand the basic principles behind learning and be able to manipulate a simple learning model to predict the effect of learning on the cycle time of repetitive work.
- Understand the basics of machine reliability and know how to calculate reliability of complex engineering systems.
- Know how to develop an optimal maintenance schedule for factory equipment.
- Understand the different types of process layout and the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Appreciate the factors that affect the layout of a factory.
- Understand and be able to apply the techniques used in planning factory layouts.
Supply chain management
- Able to monitor and measure performance to continually improve efficiencies.
- Understand issues surrounding the development of the right supply chain strategy for the business/product groups and the implementation of lean supply chain management.
- Understand the importance of managing the information flows in a supply chain network, and the challenges of accurate demand and forecast planning.
- Demonstrate an appreciation for the complexities in managing and designing distribution centres so that they support the overall SC strategy and customer value proposition in the marketplace.
- Understand the role of supplier selection, procurement and supplier management.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Equivalent to 40%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Develop an appreciation for the traditional methods of Industrial Engineering.
Assess the importance of information flows within a company.
Critique the main drivers and purpose behind industry 4.0.
|Industrial Case Study||30.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
A series of interactive lectures, seminars, workshops, web-based learning, problem solving exercises, individual and group activities and linked tutorials. Consideration of case study materials, journals and guest speakers will form an important part of the delivery illustrating the application of themes to real-world situations.
Tutor-directed private study, including revision.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Identify emerging technologies and technology trends;
- Apply an understanding and appreciation of continuous improvement techniques
- Apply underpinning concepts and ideas of engineering;
- Systematically review factors affecting the implementation of a project, including safety and sustainability;
- Appreciate the importance of designing products with due regard to good laboratory practice, health and safety considerations and ethical issues.
- Access and synthesize information and literature sources;
- Use both verbal and written communication skills to different target audiences;
- Demonstrate familiarity with relevant subject specific and general computer software packages.
- Demonstrate an awareness of current advances and contemporary approaches in the discipline and have strategies for keeping that awareness current;
- Demonstrate an awareness of the need to work safely and comply within relevant legislative and regulatory frameworks;
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- H301: BSc Appd Mechanical Engineering Systems (Deg Apprenticeship) year 3 (BSC/AMES)