Perspectives in Marine Science
Rhedir gan School of Ocean Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Prof Mattias Green
The Module is designed to broaden the knowledge base of all MScistudents who are otherwise focussed very strongly towards their individual research projects. Attendance at Research Seminars will bring students into contact with new areas of marine science and the methods, techniques and statistical problems associated with them. A broad approach will be facilitated by the requirement that students attend seminars from all three seminar series at SOS. The students will write short, succinct and concise abstract (250 words) based on four selected seminars. This will require them to concentrate very carefully during the presentation, take notes and to subsequently develop and improve their abstracting and writing skills. Further knowledge acquisition is undertaken through the production of an essays (2000 words) based on primary literature (approx 10 papers) around the subject of the chosen seminar topic. They will also produce a 600-word popular science summary of a fellow student's literature review seminar. This will be written as if for The Conversation - an online science communication magazine - and aims to give experience in communicating science to a wider audience.
The specific knowledge content of the course will be variable from year to year depending on the Seminars in the two series running in the School. These will range across marine biology, geology, and oceanography, and it will be this range that is an important feature of the Module. The Seminars will be almost all of a research type such that their structure follows a similar pattern: introduction, materials and methods, results and discussion.
Abstracts: Basic abstracts that convey some understanding of the Seminar topics. Essays: rudimentary presentation of an expanded research seminar using some primary literature.
Abstracts: competent abstracts that clearly reveal a good understanding of the topic presented. Essays: competent use of several primary research papers to develop a coherent story within the essay
Abstract: Succinct, concise and grammatically correct abstract that conveys a complete understanding of the Seminar delivered. Essays: an engaging or highly creative, insightful, carefully argued, thoroughly researched and well written, grammatically correct essay.
Acquire a broader knowledge of marine science
Become proficient in writing short abstracts
Be able to search for, obtain and critically analyse primary research literature following introduction by a single Seminar.
Be able to synthesise, analyse and communicate complex research activities, concepts and ideas in essay format
|GWAITH CWRS||Abstract 1||10.00|
|GWAITH CWRS||Abstract 2||10.00|
|GWAITH CWRS||Abstract 3||10.00|
|TRAETHAWD||Popular science summary||30.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Two lectures outlining the Module, explaining what is required and giving advice on abstract preparation, literature searching and the distillation of a complex subject into an essay. Synchronous for 2020
Students attend at the (online) Research Seminars at School of Ocean Sciences delivered by PhD students, Post docs, staff or visitors.
Researching, synthesising, completing assessments.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- 2W79: MMBiol Marine Biology (with International Experience) year 5 (MMBIOL/MBI)
- F652: MSci Geological Oceanography year 4 (MSCI/GO)
- C167: MSci Marine Biology year 4 (MSCI/MB)
- F712: MSci Marine Biology and Oceanography year 4 (MSCI/MBO)
- C169: MSci Marine Biology and Zoology year 4 (MSCI/MBZ)
- C168: MSci Marine Vertebrate Zoology year 4 (MSCI/MVZ)
- F734: MSci Physical Oceanography year 4 (MSCI/PO)