Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Zoë Skoulding
Creative non-fiction is an ever-evolving genre challenging traditional ideas of fact-based narratives. This module explores the ways in which writers have troubled the distinction between writing that is classed as ‘fiction’ and its constitutive others, such as biography, autobiography, history, travel writing, critical writing and nature writing. By reading and discussing contemporary and historical works of non-fiction, and listening to contemporary non-fiction podcasts and audio, students will gain insights into the process of researching and writing creative non-fiction. Through creative writing exercises and workshops, students will experiment with different ways of producing fact-based texts, and have the opportunity to develop their own works of creative non-fiction.
Module topics may include: writing the self; writing history; biography; the essay form; creative audio and writing for the ear; writing place; art criticism; nature writing and travel writing. As well as examining these subjects from the practitioner's perspective, students will be encouraged to work on and share their own creative practice, helped by writing exercises and workshops, whilst developing skills in reading and constructive criticism.
A 3rd class candidate’s work will show many of the following features:
Limited engagement with ideas and/or response to module texts.
Link between themes and form not always clear.
Limited sense of formal conventions. Inconsistent with regard to linguistic technicalities
Limited awareness of redrafting and editing process.
A 2(i) candidate’s work will show many of the following qualities:
Demonstration of a degree of vitality and originality.
Very good understanding of generic conventions; sound use of structures and forms.
Resourceful use of language
Sound understanding of the creative process and thoughtful control of decisions made in writing.
Very good work, which at times comes close to publishable standard
C- i C+
A 2(ii) candidate’s work will show many of the following qualities:
Some attempt at serious exploration of ideas.
Some link between themes and form. Good attempt to engage with form, but this may not be entirely sustained.
Use of language technically proficient, but not always focused.
Some awareness of the creative process and of decisions made in writing.
Good work, but its strengths need to be more fully sustained to reach publishable standard.
Typically, the work of a first class candidate will show many of the following qualities:
Excellent levels of originality, vision and depth; striking and thorough engagement with ideas.
Excellent understanding and control of form.
Impressive linguistic control and/or innovation.
Sophisticated understanding of the creative process and assured control of decisions made in writing.
Dynamic work approaching publishable standard.
- Apply those histories, theories and creative nonfiction models to own creative practice through a work of creative nonfiction.
- A developed knowledge and understanding of the creative nonfiction genre, its models, histories, and theories.
- Knowledge and awareness of the creative processes and research techniques involved in a range of creative nonfiction forms
- Critically analyse their own creative objectives throughout writing practice and how this has impacted upon their wider practice.
- A broader understanding of the research process and how to turn research into written materials.
- A broader understanding of how to pitch the creative nonfiction concept to a near-publishable standard.
|GWAITH CWRS||Creative Non-Fiction Audio and Commentary||40.00|
|GWAITH CWRS||Creative Non-Fiction Portfolio and Commentary||60.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Rhetorical skills of effective communication and argument, both oral and written (English Benchmark Statement 2.3; 3.1.10; 3.2.5; 3.3.1; 3.3.6).
- The capacity for independent thought and judgement; the ability to articulate knowledge and understanding of texts, concepts and theories and to interrogate and apply a variety of theoretical positions and weigh the importance of alternative perspectives (English Benchmark Statement 1.3.9; 2.1; 2.3; 3.1.10; 3.2.2; 3.3.1; 3.3.7; 3.3.11).
- Recognition of the multi-faceted nature of literature, and of its complex relationship to other media or disciplines and forms of knowledge (English Benchmark Statement 1.3.7; 2.1; 2.2; 2.4; 2.5; 3.1.8; 3.1.12).
- Critical Skills in the close reading, description, reasoning and analysis of texts (English Benchmark Statement 1.3.6; 1.3.9; 2.1; 2.3; 3.2.1; 3.3.1; 3.2.1; 3.3.8; 3.3.12).
- Competence in the planning and execution of essays, presentations and other writing and project work (English Benchmark Statement 3.3.6).
- Conceptual skills developed by demonstration and discussion. (English Benchmark Statement 3.2.2; 3.3.14; 3.3.17; 3.3.18; 3.3.19).
- Study skills in researching concepts and contexts by directed reading. (English Benchmark Statement 3.3.22; 3.3.23).
- The ability to express ideas clearly in discussion and in organised written form. (English Benchmark Statement 3.2.5; 3.2.7; 3.3.11; 3.3.15; 3.3.16; 3.3.21; 3.3.24).
- An understanding of creative and critical processes, and of the wide range of skills inherent in creative writing. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.1).
- Knowledge of a wide range of canonical English texts, providing a confident understanding of literary traditions as well as the confidence to experiment and challenge conventions when writing creatively. (English Benchmark Statement 3.1).
- An awareness of writing and publishing contexts, opportunities and audiences in the wider world (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.1).
- Artistic engagement and ability to articulate complex ideas in oral and written forms. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Ability to connect creative and critical ideas between and among forms, techniques and types of creative and critical praxis. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Awareness of how different social and cultural contexts affect the nature of language and meaning (English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Reflective practitioner skills, including awareness of the practice of others in collaborative learning (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- The ability to synthesize information from various sources, choosing and applying appropriate concepts and methods (English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to formulate and solve problems, anticipate and accommodate change, and work within contexts of ambiguity, uncertainty and unfamiliarity (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to engage in processes of drafting and redrafting texts to achieve clarity of expression and an appropriate style. (English Benchmark Statement 3.3; NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Ability to gather information, analyse, interpret and discuss different viewpoints (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Information technology (IT) skills broadly understood and the ability to access, work with and evaluate electronic resources (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/qxp-2009.html
See Talis reading list. Extracts of texts will be provided.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- 2P78: BA English Lit with Creative Writing with International Exp year 2 (BA/ECI)
- 2P17: BA English Literature and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/ENCW)
- 2P1P: BA English Literature and Creative Writing with Place Yr year 2 (BA/ENCWP)
- 2D13: BA English Literature with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/ENGLC)
- Q2W9: MArts English Literature with Creative Writing year 2 (MARTS/ELCW)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W890: BA Creative&Professional Writing year 2 (BA/CPW)
- W89P: BA Creative and Professional Writing with Placement Year year 3 (BA/CPWP)
- W899: BA Creative & Professional Writing with International Exp year 3 (BA/CRIE)
- 8G55: BA English Language with Creative Writing (with Int Exp) year 3 (BA/ELCIE)
- Q3WL: BA Eng Lang with Creat Writ year 2 (BA/ELCW)
- 8H25: BA English Literature year 2 (BA/ENGL)
- 8H2P: BA English Literature with Placement Year year 2 (BA/ENGLP)
- 8H26: BA English Literature (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/ENIE)
- R1W8: BA French with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/FRCW)
- P3W8: BA Film Studies and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/FSCW)
- R2W8: BA German with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/GERCW)
- P500: BA Journalism (Subject to Validation) year 2 (BA/J)
- WW39: BA Music and Creative Writing with International Experience year 2 (BA/MCWIE)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/MUSCW)
- W6W8: BA Professional Writing & Film year 2 (BA/PWF)
- P3W9: BA Professional Writing and Media year 2 (BA/PWM)
- 8M74: BA Spanish with Creative Writing (with International Exp) year 2 (BA/SCIE)
- R4W8: BA Spanish with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/SPCW)
- M1W1: LLB Law with Creative Media Writing year 2 (LLB/LCMW)
- M1W2: LLB Law with Creative Media Writing (International Exp) year 2 (LLB/LCMWI)