Workplace Experience 3
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
30.000 Credyd neu 15.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Mr Dewi Rowlands
Workplace experience is central to the course, it allows students to experience working as a designer in a commercial environment. This module continues the series of Year1 and Year2 workplacement modules with further attention being given to self-evaluation of professional development.
This module aims:
- To raise students' understanding of leadership, management, decision making, strategy and ethos in business.
- To raise students' ability to analyse and evaluate the effectiveness of companies and commerce.
- To raise students' awareness of the role and importance of design within business.
- To raise students' awareness of some of the key issues that influence the design and manufacture of products.
- To provide students with experience of the way in which practical considerations constrain or compliment the application of theory in the workplace.
- To give students valuable 'real world' experiences which will positively contribute to their portfolio and CVs.
The workplacement is a key aspect of the course and gives students the opportunity to work with companies and industrial partners to gain valuable practical experiences. Students typically approach this series of workplacement modules (one in the first year, one in the second and one in the third year) with the following strategies:
- gather a broad range of experiences by focusing on skill acquisition - for example, placements in design studios, small or large scale manufacturing companies, specialist CAD or graphic companies, or
- target specific companies where the student would like to work in future.
During the 6 week placement, students are expected to compile a report about specific aspects they observed and to link their analysis to their own professional development.
In Year 3, there are six weeks of placement time, typically arranged as a single block in Semester 2. To achieve the learning outcomes, students will guided in their preparation by university tutors, supported in the workplace by dedicated mentors (trainer) and monitored by visiting university tutors. In addition to the focus of the study in the previous workplacements (see XUC|E1048 and XUC|E2048) it will examine further issues that influence product design and manufacture, such as:
- company ethos, vision, mission and values
- leadership and management
- marketing, political and consumer trends
- quality control and sustainability
- analytical skills
- self evaluation of work and contribution to the company
- self evaluation of personal development and skills
See the learning outcomes.
A good overall grasp of all the learning outcomes and how they relate to one another.
A very good grasp of all the learning outcomes and the ability to reflect on their relationship to one another in an analytic way.
Develop their analytical report writing skills
Develop their presentation skills
Evaluate their own professional development progress
Analyse the leadership, management, vision mission values, ethos, and marketing of a company
Analyse the innovation and design processes within a company
Evaluate their own work contribution to furthering design or business elements within a company
Analyse quality control and sustainability factors within a company
Evaluate their own learning in regards to their analytical skills and understanding of theoretical approaches to commerce
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||Workplacement Presentation||10.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Students spend about 30 days a year in the workplace. The total time of 240 hours for the Year 3 module includes time spent in the workplace, in preparation, and on the report.
Private study time for research, and assessment preparation
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Be conversant with all practical elements of health and safety within the design and manufacture of products.
- Make informed choices regarding social, ethical and environmental issues which are related to the processes of design and manufacture
- Work effectively and in an organised manner within subject specific tasks
- Develop the skills, qualities and attributes required for working independently, as a participating member of a team and across organizations, through the close working relationships between students, lecturers, and industrialists.
- Appropriately implement the skills, knowledge, and understanding gained in both college and industrial situations
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W240: BSC Product Design year 3 (BSC/PD)
- W242: BSc Product Design with International Experience year 4 (BSC/PDIE)