Introduction to Embedded Systems
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Mr John Story
The aim of this module is to provide learners with an understanding of the fundamental concepts of Embedded Systems. The larger part of the module will be practical, developing experience of a common tool chain to foster the skills necessary to build simple systems. Developing hardware and software to meet set goals, testing and evaluating outcomes.
Indicative content includes:
- Core concepts, putting the Embedded system in context.
- Learning the toolchain for embedded systems.
- Sensing the world, introducing a ranges of sensors and concepts.
- Acting on the world, actuating devices in a controlled manner.
- Communications, linking systems together for greeted effect.
- Development technique and process.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Equivalent to 40%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Employ a typical development environment for embedded systems to take a basic development board, compile a simple application, download to the target board and test the resulting outcomes.
Demonstrate the role of digital and analogue sensors in embedded systems and how they integrate with a typical microcontroller to allow selection of a sensor appropriate for a given task.
Demonstrate that embedded systems often act on the world by integrating a typical microcontroller and selected actuators for a given task.
Define 'Embedded System', as contrasted with general purpose computers. Identify key differences between different systems.
Use simple serial communications to connect an embedded system in the real world to the digital domain.
|GWAITH CWRS||Embedded Systems Infographic||
Produce a single page, graphic rich description of Embedded Systems. Give examples. Describe typical trasnducers and architectures. Software and tools. Relative costs and complexity.
|GWAITH CWRS||Course Project||
Develop a simple mechatronic system that interacts with a person.
|GWAITH CWRS||Laboratory Experiments and Prototypes||
Build simple prototypes demonstrating sensing, acting, and communicating.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Practical laboratories (3hrs x 12 weeks).
Tutor-directed private study, including individual assessments.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Identify emerging technologies and technology trends;
- Apply underpinning concepts and ideas of engineering;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the specialist cognate area of electronic engineering in an international context;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the specialist cognate area of computer systems engineering in an international context;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the specialist cognate area of computer systems for controlling complex systems;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions, especially ones that include embedded microprocessors
- Formulate and analyse requirements and practical constraints of products, processes and services, place them in an engineering context and manage their implementation;
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions.
- Appreciate the importance of designing products with due regard to good laboratory practice, health and safety considerations and ethical issues.
- Access and synthesize information and literature sources;
- Communicate proposals persuasively and respond positively to feedback;
- Demonstrate familiarity with relevant subject specific and general computer software packages.
- Knowledge and understanding of facts, concepts, principles & theories
- Use of such knowledge in modelling and design
- Problem solving strategies
- Analyse if/how a system meets current and future requirements
- Specify, design or construct computer-based systems
- Evaluate systems in terms of quality and trade-offs
- Deploy tools effectively
- System Design
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/ice-1112.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- H612: BEng Computer Systs Eng (3 yrs) year 1 (BENG/CSE)
- H61B: BEng Computer Sys Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 1 (BENG/CSE1)
- H610: BENG Electronic Engineering (3 yrs) year 1 (BENG/ELE)
- H62B: BEng Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 1 (BENG/ELE1)
- H621: BEng Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 1 (BENG/ELEIE)
- GW49: BSC Creative Technologies year 1 (BSC/CT)
- H611: BSc Electronic Engineering year 1 (BSC/ELE)
- H63B: BSc Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 1 (BSC/ELE1)
- H661: MEng Control and Instrumentation Engineering year 1 (MENG/CIE)
- H617: MEng Computer Systs Eng (4 yrs) year 1 (MENG/CSE)
- H619: MEng Computer Systems Engineering (with International Exper) year 1 (MENG/CSEIE)
- H601: MEng Electronic Engineering (4 yrs) year 1 (MENG/EE)