Personality & Indiv Diffs
Rhedir gan School of Psychology
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Frances Garrad-Cole
This module addresses key topics within the field of personality, intelligence and individual differences. The module is split into two parts: intelligence and Personality and each will be assessed separately. The Areas covered include historic and current perspectives on personality, including psychoanalysis, humanistic and trait approaches. Individual differences and intelligence will be explored including intelligence testing, emotional intelligence and heritability of intelligence.
Students will gain an insight into personality and individual differences. On completion of the module, students will have gained a number of employability skills including: an understanding of the use or value of intelligence and/or personality testing; independent and self-motivated study; critical evaluation of academic topics and the relevance of such topics to current issues and debates. In 2020/21 this module will be delivered fully online. There will be asynchronous delivery of content paired with synchronous discussion forums. You will also be welcome to attend a weekly virtual drop in session if you have any questions.
Adequate answer to the question, largely based on lecture material. No real development of arguments. <
Reasonably comprehensive coverage. Well organised and structured. Good understanding of the material. <
Comprehensive and accurate coverage of the area clarity of argument and expression. Depth of insight into theoretical issues.<< subject to change>>
1.On sucessful completion of the module, students will be able to demonstrate understanding, knowledge and relevance of the different approaches to the scientific study of intelligence.
2.On sucessful completion of the module, students will be able to demonstrate understanding, knowledge and application of tests of personality and how these are administered.
3.On sucessful completion of the module, students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of personality theories and the relevance of such in real world applications
4.On sucessful completion of the module, students will be able to demonstrate understanding, knowledge and application of tests of intelligence and how these are administered.
5.On sucessful completion of the module, students will be able to demonstrate understanding, knowledge and relevance of the different approaches to the scientific study of personality
6.On sucessful completion of the module, students will be able to demonstrate critical evaluation of a theory of personality and use evidence to suport opinion.
|TRAETHAWD||Critical evaluation essay||60.00|
There will be four quizzes throughout the module, approximately fortnightly. Each quiz will be assessed through Blackboard and will be open book. Each quiz is worth 10% of the module
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Each week there will be associated readings that complement the lecture material, and additional resources, including yout tube videos or podcasts, that you are encouraged to watch
In preparation for the seminar you will be expected to generate written work and/or provide feedback on peer review documents. This could take up to 3.5 hours per week
The remaining time in this module will be taken up by preparation for assessment, and sitting online quizzes. You will also need to develop draft work into a final essay for submission
You will be assigned to a small seminar group (approx 26/27 students) and you will meet once a week at the timetabled time to discuss lecture content and to work on seminar issues. Some seminars will focus exclusively aspects of the essay and will provide formative feedback for the essay.
The core material for this module will be accessed via asynchronous podcasts, Students are expected to watch and make notes on the podcasts and to use th material to prepare for assessments and to contribute to seminars. Podcasts will be delivered in short segments and will total no more than one hour per week
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Understand the scientific underpinnings of psychology as a discipline.
- Apply multiple perspectives to psychological issues and integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in psychology.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in written form.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in oral form.
- Handle primary source material critically.
- Be sensitive and react appropriately to contextual and interpersonal psychological factors.
- Use effectively personal planning and project management skills.
- Work effectively under pressure (time pressure, limited resources, etc) as independent and pragmatic learners.
- Problem-solve by clarifying questions, considering alternative solutions, making critical judgements, and evaluating outcomes.
- Reason scientifically and demonstrate the relationship between theory and evidence.
- Employ evidence-based reasoning and examine practical, theoretical and ethical issues associated with the use of different methodologies, paradigms and methods of analysis in psychology.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/ppp-2014.html
I would recommend that you purchase, or obtain a library copy of either the 2010, or 2013 edition of:
Maltby, J., Day. L., and McCaskill, A. (2013 *or 2010) Personality, Individual Differences and Intelligence. Pearson Education. Harlow.
You will need to access, but do not need to purchase: Kaplan, R. M. and Saccuzzo, D. P (2005) Psychological testing - One chapter only, available in BU library.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- X320: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Seicoleg year 2 (BA/APIS)
- MC98: BA Criminology/Psychology year 2 (BA/CRP)
- X319: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Psychology year 2 (BA/CYP)
- CQ83: BA English Language & Psychology year 2 (BA/ELPSY)
- R181: BA French with Psychology (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/FPIE)
- R1C8: BA French with Psychology year 2 (BA/FPSY)
- R2C8: BA German with Psychology year 2 (BA/GPSY)
- Q1C8: BA Linguistics and Psychology year 2 (BA/LP)
- CL83: BA Sociology/Psychology year 2 (BA/PS)
- CL84: BA Social Policy/Psychology year 2 (BA/SPP)
- CL85: BA Social Policy & Psychology with International Experience year 2 (BA/SPPIE)
- C8N2: BSc Psychology with Business Management year 2 (BSC/PBM)
- C880: BSC Psych with Cl & Hlth Psych year 2 (BSC/PHS)
- C88B: BSc Psychology w Clin & Health Psy (4yr with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/PHS1)
- 8X44: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology (Int Exp) year 2 (BSC/PHSIE)
- C88P: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psy with Placement Yr year 2 (BSC/PHSP)
- C804: BSc Psychology (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/PIE)
- C800: BSC Psychology year 2 (BSC/PS)
- C81B: BSc Psychology (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/PS1)
- C80F: BSc Psychology year 2 (BSC/PSF)
- C80P: BSc Psychology with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/PSP)
- C813: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psychology year 2 (BSC/PSYFP)
- C801: BSC Psychol w Neuropsychol year 2 (BSC/PSYN)
- C83B: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology (4yr with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/PSYN1)
- C809: BSc Psychology with Neuropsy (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/PSYNIE)
- C84P: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/PSYNP)
- C82B: BSc Psychology with Business (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BSC/PWB1)
- 2R88: BSc Psychology with Business with International Experience year 2 (BSC/PWBIE)
- M1C8: LLB Law with Psychology year 2 (LLB/LPSY)
- C808: MSci Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology year 2 (MSCI/PHS)
- C810: MSci Psychology with International Experience year 2 (MSCI/PIE)
- C807: MSci Psychology year 2 (MSCI/PS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- N5C8: BSc Marketing with Psychology year 2 (BSC/MP)