Advanced Chinese Language Skills
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
30.000 Credyd neu 15.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Shasha Wang
to consolidate the key areas of advanced grammar, further develop both vocabulary and range of language structures, and increase levels of reading ability.
to develop oral and aural skills to a high standard through further exposure to a wide range of audio visual material.
to further develop advanced translation skills into and out of Chinese.
to develop and refine advanced skills in structured formal essay writing.
This 30 credit module running throughout the year consolidates the grammar learned in the previous years and develop both vocabulary and range of language structures at an advanced level. It will further develop active and passive language skills, including comprehension skills in listening, productive skills in speaking, reading and writing. It will also further deepen students’ understanding of the culture, history and society of China and develop students’ awareness of the social, cultural and historical background of Chinese-speaking countries and regions. The skills students have mastered will match the standard of final year linguists.
70+%: An excellent knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and an excellent ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts. Excellent oral and aural competence.
40-49%: A limited knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and a limited ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts. Basic oral and aural competence.
50-69%: A good knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and a good ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts. Good oral and aural competence.
be able to analyse wide variety of topics related to Chinese culture, history and society through, expressing arguments clearly and concisely using a wide range of appropriate structures.
be able to communicate effectively and fluently, both orally and in writing, for social and professional purposes, and produce clear and detailed written texts on a range of subjects;
have acquired an advanced level of Chinese language skills
be able to demonstrate competence in the use of advanced grammatical structures of Chinese;
be able to read and comprehend a wide range of longer and complex written texts on both concrete and abstract topics in Chinese;
be able to translate and interpret in and out of Chinese
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
1 hour x translation per week for 11 weeks per semester 1 hour x writing and aural skills per week for 11 weeks per semester 1 hour x conversation skills per week for 11 weeks per semester
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in sophisticated written assignments in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to translate sophisticated passages into and out of the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- Engaging with, interpreting and critically evaluating short and longer contemporary texts (short stories, films, novel) in the target language (Benchmark statement 5. 8, and 5.9)
- Fully proficient to skilful oral communication and presentation skills (including delivery and argument development, discussion and defence) in the target language through individual and/or group discussions. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in oral assignments, showing adroitness with a very wide range of topics and registers in formal and informal situations. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- Further develop aural comprehension skills in the target language, supported by a wide range of appropriate materials in different media. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to read, understand and summarise more sophisticated written texts in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- Extract and synthesise key information from written and/or spoken sources in English / Welsh and/or the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to organise and present ideas within the framework of a structured and reasoned argument in written and/or oral assignments and class discussions. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- Critical skills in the close reading, description, reasoning and analysis of primary and secondary sources in the target language and/or English or Welsh (incl. filmic, literary and other sources). (Benchmark statement 5.13, 5.14, 5.15)
- Competence in the planning and execution of essays, presentations and other written and project work; bibliographic skills, including the accurate citation of sources and consistent use of conventions and appropriate style in the presentation of scholarly work. (Benchmark statement 5.10, 5.14, 5.15)
- The ability to gather information, analyse, interpret and discuss different viewpoints and to place these in a wider socio-cultural and/or geo-historical and political and/or socio-linguistic context and to revise and re-evaluate judgements in light of those of the course leader, certain individuals or groups studied and/or fellow students. (Benchmark statement 5.13, 5.15 and 5.16)
- The ability to write and think under pressure and meet deadlines. (Benchmark statement 5.15)
- The ability to write effective notes and access and manage course materials including electronic resources / information provided on online learning platforms and library resources. (Benchmark statement 5.15, 5.16)
- The ability to work creatively and flexibly both independently and/or as part of a team. (Benchmark statement 5.15).
- The ability and willingness to engage with and appreciate other cultures and to articulate to others (in written and verbal form) the contribution that the culture has made at a regional and global level. (Benchmark statement 5.7)
- The ability to grasp and discuss how films reflect objective or subjective positions in their treatment of their subject matter. (Benchmark statement 5.7 and 5.10)
- The ability to comprehend, critically engage with and apply relevant theoretical concepts to materials being studied. (Benchmark statement 5.10)
- The ability to engage in analytical, evaluative and original thinking. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- Critical understanding of key topics in the sphere of modern critical, cultural and translation theory, highlighting landmark figures and offering close readings of segments of their texts. (Benchmark statement 5.10)
- The ability to organise and present ideas and arguments in presentations, classroom discussions and debates. (Benchmark statement 5.14, 5.16)
- Develop reading and audio-visual comprehension skills in the target language through the study of primary sources in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- Sensitivity to and appreciation of contrasting types of press and media in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.7, 5.10)
- Skills in the critical reading and analysis of literary and/or musical and/or filmic texts. (Benchmark statement 5.10)
- The ability to comprehend and apply cultural idioms by studying primary and secondary materials in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to analyse, interpret and historically contextualise a range of films in the target language using different forms of critical analysis (cultural, historical, socio-political, literary etc.). (Benchmark statement 5.7, 5.10 and 5.14)
- The ability to develop and manage an independent research project in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4, 5.10, 5.15, 5.16)
- The ability to translate and critically analyse the translation of a substantial piece of text in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4, 5.10)
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/lzc-3030.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- N2T1: BA Business Management and Chinese year 4 (BA/BMCH)
- N1T1: BA Business Studies and Chinese year 4 (BA/BUSCH)
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CHCS)
- T102: BA Chinese and Cymraeg year 4 (BA/CHCY)
- T104: BA Chinese and French year 4 (BA/CHFR)
- T105: BA Chinese and German year 4 (BA/CHG)
- T126: Chinese & German with Intl Exp year 3 (BA/CHGIE)
- T106: BA Chinese and Italian year 4 (BA/CHIT)
- T101: BA Chinese and Linguistics year 4 (BA/CHL)
- T107: BA Chinese and Spanish year 4 (BA/CHSP)
- L1T1: BA Economics and Chinese year 4 (BA/ECCH)
- T123: BA English Language and Chinese year 4 (BA/ELCH)
- T108: BA French with Chinese year 4 (BA/FRCH)
- T125: BA Film Studies and Chinese year 4 (BA/FSCH)
- T109: BA German with Chinese year 4 (BA/GCH)
- T124: BA English Literature & Chinese year 4 (BA/LITCH)
- T110: BA Spanish with Chinese year 4 (BA/SPCH)
- MT11: LLB Law with Chinese year 4 (LLB/LC)
- MT12: LLB Law with Chinese (International Experience) year 4 (LLB/LCIE)