Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Iestyn Pierce
The main learning objective is to treat the design and operating characteristics of advanced digital optical fibre communication systems. Students will obtain an understanding of the dynamical behaviour of laser diodes; principles of optical modulation; characteristics of optical fibre waveguides and optical receivers. In addition students will gain an appreciation of the role of these components in determining the performance of practical optical communications systems.
• Direct current modulation of laser diodes; laser rate equations and their solution; limitations to direct current modulation; external modulation. • Mechanisms for optical switching and routing; candidate structures • Light propagation in optical fibres; fibre losses and dispersion; transmission windows • High impedance and trans-impedance receivers; optical amplifiers and repeaters • Modulation Formats. Modulator Technologies. Coherent Optical Communications Systems. System Design
Cyswllt Canlyniad dysgu i Meini Prawf
Understand the direct and indirect modulation of semiconductor lasers.
|Able to explain the processes of direct and indirect modulation of semiconductor lasers||Able to apply solutions of the laser rate equations in order to determine the modulation performance||Able to derive the equations which determine the limitations on laser diode modulation|
Understand the operation of optical switches and routers.
|Able to explain the operating principles of optical functional devices||Able to design devices for prescribed applications||Able to explain the basic physical mechanisms underlying optical routing|
Understand the principles and design of optical fibre waveguides and receivers.
|Able to define the design criteria for optical fibre channels. Able to explain the basic structure of optical repeaters||Able to explain the trade-off between loss and dispersion. Able to determine the receiver configuration appropriate to a defined application||Able to estimate the effects of dispersion on pulse propagation. Able to demonstrate the role of all-optical processing in optical repeaters|
Understand Digital Optical Communication Systems
|Able to explain the basic structure of optical repeaters and identify their role in optical communications systems||Able to demonstrate the role of all-optical processing in optical repeaters; can define the performance characteristics of advanced optical communications. systems||Able to determine the receiver configuration appropriate to a defined optical communications system application.|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Online lectures, recorded for later reference
Self study, including preparation for exam.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Apply underpinning concepts and ideas of engineering;
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Use both verbal and written communication skills to different target audiences;
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- H610: BENG Electronic Engineering (3 yrs) year 3 (BENG/ELE)
- H62B: BEng Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BENG/ELE1)
- H61F: BEng Electronic Engineering year 3 (BENG/ELEF)
- H621: BEng Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 4 (BENG/ELEIE)
- H611: BSc Electronic Engineering year 3 (BSC/ELE)
- H63B: BSc Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BSC/ELE1)
- H622: BSc Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 4 (BSC/ELEIE)
- H601: MEng Electronic Engineering (4 yrs) year 3 (MENG/EE)
- H618: MEng Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 4 (MENG/EEIE)
- H60P: MEng Electronic Engineering with Industrial Placement year 3 (MENG/EEP)