Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Paul Hill
The Essential Biology module aims to provide students with the essential biology knowledge and skills that are required for a successful progression to degree-level study. The module will focus on providing foundation knowledge in physiology and cell biology and will place a strong emphasis on the application of knowledge and skills to a range of subject areas.
Topics covered by this module may include the following:
Cell Biology: an investigation of prokaryote and eukaryote cells, including ultrastructure of the cell and the role of cell membrane in transport processes. Associated practical classes will focus on the observation of cells using light microscopy, the calculation of cell size using microscopes and photomicrographs.
Biological molecules: carbohydrates, lipids and proteins. Chemical elements and structure of common monomers and polymers. Role of macromolecules in biological processes. Synthesis, production and secretion of proteins in cells.
Mechanism of enzymes and their role in catalysing intracellular and extracellular reactions, practical effects of pH, temperature, concentration and inhibition.
Organism biology and microbiology: population biology, aseptic techniques, different types of pathogens which cause communicable disease in humans and plants and their transmission. Defence against disease.
Essential human physiology and anatomy.
Grades D- to D+ Demonstrates a basic understanding of the subject but some errors present. Some inaccuracies and misconceptions evident. Limited ability to apply subject knowledge to new or different scenarios. The clarity of information presentation is weak and use of appropriate, subject-specific terminology is limited.
C- i C+
Grades C- to C+ A clearer understanding of the subject matter. Demonstrates ability to apply subject knowledge to new or different scenarios, but with some errors. The clarity of information presentation is acceptable and use of appropriate, subject-specific terminology is developing. There is evidence of some limited engagement with the wider literature and published information sources.
Grades B- to B+ A good understanding of the subject matter. Very few inaccuracies and misconceptions evident. Demonstrates ability to apply subject knowledge to new or different scenarios, with few errors. The clarity of information presentation is good and use of appropriate, subject-specific terminology is well-developed. There is evidence of engagement with the wider literature and published information sources.
Grade A- and above An excellent understanding of the subject matter with virtually no inaccuracies and misconceptions evident. Demonstrates a very good ability to apply subject knowledge to new or different scenarios, with very few errors. The clarity of information presentation is excellent and use of appropriate, subject-specific terminology is very well developed. Evidence of reflectivity in the work produced.
Demonstrate an accurate understanding of biological principles and concepts.
Apply biological principles to different subject areas.
Demonstrate an understanding of appropriate methods in biology.
Present information clearly and logically using specialist vocabulary.
|Test 1: cell biology||20.00|
|Test 2: biological molecules||20.00|
|Test 3: organism biology||20.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
18*2 hour lectures
7*2 hour practicals
Time spent working on guided and independent study and on the preparation of assignments.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Recognize and apply appropriate theories and concepts from a range of disciplines.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Conduct fieldwork and/or laboratory work competently with awareness of appropriate risk assessment and ethical considerations
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Undertake field and/or laboratory studies to ensure competence in basic experimental and/or fieldwork skills.
- Demonstrate the independence and skills required for continuing professional development
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students will be required to access online resources. Use of personal computers or University facilities will enable this.