Stanley Kubrick: Auteur
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Nathan Abrams
Knowledge of key issues of the life and work of Stanley Kubrick as they appear in his films.
To introduce students to a range of texts produced by one of the key film directors of the twentieth century.
To interrogate issues of science, technology, violence, history, race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality and war in the work of one film director.
The enigmatic Stanley Kubrick was one of the most well-known filmmakers of the twentieth century. Although not prolific, his work was widely admired both by critics and mass audiences. Kubrick's films also provide a prism through which we can view the major events of the twentieth century including World War One, the Holocaust, the Cold War and the Vietnam War. In doing so, his films provide an opportunity to explore the key themes of science, technology, history, race, violence, gender, ethnicity, sexuality and war. Teaching is by means of a two-hour seminar per week. In addition, students are required to organise small-group viewing of designated films per week.
Submitted work is adequate and shows an acceptable level of competence as follows:
- Generally accurate but with omissions and errors.
- Assertions are made without clear supporting evidence or reasoning.
- Has structure but is lacking in clarity and therefore relies on the reader to make links and assumptions.
- Draws on a relatively narrow range of material.
Submitted work is competent throughout and occasionally distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates:
- Good structure and logically developed arguments.
- At least in parts draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student.
- Assertions are, in the main, backed by evidence and sound reasoning.
- Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
Very Good (60%+)
Submitted work is competent throughout and distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates:
- Very good structure and logically developed arguments.
- Draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student.
- Assertions are backed by evidence and sound reasoning.
- Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
Submitted work is of an outstanding quality and excellent in one or more of the following ways:
- Has originality of exposition with the student's own thinking being readily apparent.
- Provides clear evidence of extensive and relevant independent study.
- Arguments are laid down with clarity and provide the reader with successive stages of consideration to reach conclusions.
Identify the key issues and conflicts with which Stanley Kubrick was concerned;
Discuss the treatment of these issues in Kubrick's films;
The ability to relate filmic texts to a historical context;
Comment appropriately on the relationship between film and other issues (science, technology, history, violence, race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality and war) in the work of Stanley Kubrick;
Read a film text, deploying the appropriate critical language
The ability to digest, select and organise material and produce a consistent and coherent argument presented in essay-form to a deadline.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
A three-hour screening session will be held every week.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CHCS)
- W890: BA Creative&Professional Writing year 3 (BA/CPW)
- W89P: BA Creative and Professional Writing with Placement Year year 4 (BA/CPWP)
- W899: BA Creative & Professional Writing with International Exp year 4 (BA/CRIE)
- WPQ1: BA Creative Studies (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/CSIE)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 3 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/CST1)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 3 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 3 (BA/CSTMUS)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTSP)
- WP83: BA Media Studies & Creative Wrtng year 3 (BA/CWMS)
- Q3P3: BA English Lang with Media Stds year 3 (BA/ELMS)
- 2P17: BA English Literature and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/ENCW)
- 2P1P: BA English Literature and Creative Writing with Place Yr year 3 (BA/ENCWP)
- 8H25: BA English Literature year 3 (BA/ENGL)
- 8H2P: BA English Literature with Placement Year year 3 (BA/ENGLP)
- 8H26: BA English Literature (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/ENIE)
- W620: BA Film Studies year 3 (BA/FLM)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/FLM1)
- W62P: BA Film Studies with Placement Year year 3 (BA/FLMP)
- P3W8: BA Film Studies and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/FSCW)
- W622: BA Film Studies with Game Design year 3 (BA/FSGD)
- 2W89: BA Film Studies (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/FSIE)
- W610: BA Film Studies and Production year 3 (BA/FSP)
- P3W5: BA Film Studies with Theatre and Performance year 3 (BA/FSTP)
- P35W: Film Stud with Theatre & Performance with International Exp. year 3 (BA/FSTPIE)
- P500: BA Journalism (Subject to Validation) year 3 (BA/J)
- PP53: BA Journalism and Media Studies year 3 (BA/JMS)
- PP5B: BA Journalism & Media Studies (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BA/JMS1)
- PP54: BA Journalism & Media Studies with International Experience year 3 (BA/JMSIE)
- PP5P: BA Journalism and Media Studies with Placement Year year 3 (BA/JMSP)
- P316: BA Media Studies and Production year 3 (BA/MEDP)
- 3HPQ: BA Media Studies and English Literature year 3 (BA/MEN)
- R802: BA Modern Languages & Media Studies year 4 (BA/MLMS)
- P306: BA Media Studies year 3 (BA/MS)
- P31B: BA Media Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/MS1)
- P30F: BA Media Studies [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/MSF)
- 8U76: BA Media Studies (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/MSIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 3 (BA/MSMUS)
- P30P: BA Media Studies with Placement Year year 3 (BA/MSP)
- LP33: BA Media Studies and Sociology year 3 (BA/MSSOC)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/MUSCW)
- M1P1: LLB Law with Media Studies year 3 (LLB/LMS)
- W900: MArts Creative Practice year 3 (MARTS/CP)