Themes - Eastern Religion/Phil
Themes - Eastern Religion/Phil 2023-24
Ysgol Hanes, y Gyfraith a Gwyddorau Cymdeithas
Modiwl - Semester 2
This module offers an introduction to the philosophical and religious development of key eastern religious traditions - Hinduism, Islam, Sikhism, Buddhism, Confucianism and Shinto – and provides a detailed overview of their origins, histories, doctrines and scriptures. In order to explore a wide spectrum of religious and philosophical beliefs, the following will be considered teaching priorities: (1) Survey of the beliefs and practices of six Eastern religions and philosophies; (2) understand the multifaceted religious heritage of the six Eastern religions – from the pre-modern era to contemporary religious practice; (3) Examination of the mutual influences and intersections of the Eastern religions and philosophies and how they interact with other elements of Eastern culture and society; (4) Deconstruct the East and West meeting points, focusing on the spread and influence of Eastern religion and philosophy in the West.
-threshold -Shows some knowledge of key areas of the module with acceptable presentation of arguments.
-good -Shows detailed knowledge of key areas covered in the module with the arguments presented in a logical and coherent way.
-excellent -Shows comprehensive and very detailed understanding of the material covered in the module, based on extensive background reading.
- To be able to distinguish among the major religious traditions of the East, and be able to describe the main religious and philosophical schools of thought of the Eastern world
- To construct a sustained argument and develop intellectual flexibility in assessing concrete situations and issues, demonstrating a variety of study skills (e.g. discussion in seminars and systematic argument construction in essays.
- To demonstrate knowledge of the historical, philosophical and religious nature of each eastern tradition
- To identify and be able to write essays assessing key aspects of Eastern religions, as well as explore their relationship with each other
- To identify and focus on key issues and select and arrange material from a variety of primary and secondary religious and philosophical sources
- To locate the origins of Eastern religious and philosophical traditions in their unique religious contexts
- To show awareness of, and the ability to discuss, different principles underlying the ethics and philosophies of the selected eastern religions
- To show understanding of key fundamental beliefs and practices of Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Islam and Confucianism
Short release Essay