Iberian Identities on Screen
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Eva Bru-Dominguez
The module explores the construction of cultural identity in visual culture, through analysis of a range of contemporary Iberian films (Basque, Catalan, Spanish, Galician), from the mid 1960s to present day. Through a combination of visual and critical methodologies, the module helps students engage with some of the most topical issues shaping contemporary Iberia, including enduring forms of national conflict, rural vs urban identity and spaces; sexual politics; memory politics and trauma. The film also functions as an introduction to key areas of twentieth-century Iberian film studies, including specific components on the Catalan cinematic tradition, the second avant-gardes and the Barcelona School of Film, Spanish documentary film and cinema blockbusters.
The module explores the construction of cultural identity in visual culture, through analysis of a range of contemporary Catalan, Basque and Galician films, from the mid 1960s to present day. It draws on theories of the nation and nationalism and how these can be applied to film studies and national cinema in particular, through a variety of topics including a) the Catalan cinematic tradition, the second avant-gardes and the Barcelona School of Film; b) the multiplicity of identities on the screen (gender, sexuality, racial, ethnic, regional, urban and transnational); c) memory and the recovery and reconstruction of history; d) trauma and territory; and e) post-ETA films.
D- - D+: For the award of credit, students should demonstrate a satisfactory comprehension of the various topics studied, with some understanding of the correlations and interrelations highlighted.
C- - B+: For the award of higher grades, students should demonstrate a solid comprehension of the various topics studied, with clear understanding of the correlations and interrelations highlighted, having also analysed and evaluated key sources.
A- - A*: For the award of the highest grade, students should demonstrate a detailed comprehension of the various topics studied, with a nuanced understanding of the correlations and interrelations highlighted, having also analysed and evaluated key sources thoroughly.
Conduct close textual reading of core films. Analysis should draw on film studies theory and cinematic techniques as well as on historical contextual studies of contemporary Spain and its nations.
Conduct in-depth critical analysis of Catalan, Basque and Galician socio-political contexts.
Evaluate deployment of key cinematic genres, concepts and techniques in the films studied.
Engage critically with historical and cultural processes as well as artistic movements relevant to the period spanning from mid-1960s to early twenty-first century Spain and its nations.
The review has to get the reader hooked immediately , use catchy language. Consider aspects such as actors, directors, cinematography and/or special effects. Give a clear and concise opinion of the film earlier on, move beyond obvious scene analysis and bring your review full-circle in the ending. Remember, this is not a piece of academic writing.
|ARHOLIAD||Analysis of Scene||
After three viewings of a scene studied in the course of the module, provide an analysis of its main aspects. Focus on elements such as aesthetics, cinematic techniques, image composition, acting and/or use of music. Use technical language (bridging shot, close-up, voice over narration, etc.).
Answer one of the set essay questions about one the core films studied. If you wish to write your own essay question, get in touch with the module coordinator by the end of S2 to agree on the title of the assignment.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Self study includes viewing of core films and background reading prior to each of the lectures as outlined in module dossier, this includes articles on film theory and cinematic movements particular to each of the cultural spaces discussed as well as socio-historical context.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Critical skills in the close reading, description, reasoning and analysis of primary and secondary sources in the target language and/or English or Welsh (incl. filmic, literary and other sources). (Benchmark statement 5.13, 5.14, 5.15)
- Competence in the planning and execution of essays, presentations and other written and project work; bibliographic skills, including the accurate citation of sources and consistent use of conventions and appropriate style in the presentation of scholarly work. (Benchmark statement 5.10, 5.14, 5.15)
- The ability to gather information, analyse, interpret and discuss different viewpoints and to place these in a wider socio-cultural and/or geo-historical and political and/or socio-linguistic context and to revise and re-evaluate judgements in light of those of the course leader, certain individuals or groups studied and/or fellow students. (Benchmark statement 5.13, 5.15 and 5.16)
- The ability to grasp and discuss how films reflect objective or subjective positions in their treatment of their subject matter. (Benchmark statement 5.7 and 5.10)
- The ability to engage in analytical, evaluative and original thinking. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to organise and present ideas and arguments in presentations, classroom discussions and debates. (Benchmark statement 5.14, 5.16)
- The ability to analyse, interpret and historically contextualise a range of films in the target language using different forms of critical analysis (cultural, historical, socio-political, literary etc.). (Benchmark statement 5.7, 5.10 and 5.14)
- Sensitivity to and critical evaluation of key cinematic techniques and the use of cinematic imagery and language. (Benchmark statement 5.10)
- The ability to critically understand, analyse and interpret the main events shaping Spanish history and culture (benchmark statement 5.7, 5.10 and 5.11)
- The ability to critically understand Spanish and Hispanic culture and its relationship to other cultures. (Benchmark statement 5.7)
- The ability to critically understand a specific aspect of Spanish or Latin American culture. (Benchmark statement 5.7, 5.10)
- The ability to analyse Spanish-language texts (incl. films, visual materials and ideas) and place them in a wider historical-political and socio-cultural context. (Benchmark statement 5.4, 5.7, and 5.11)
- The ability to write an analytical film and/or book review in English / Welsh.
- The ability to critically understand the impact and effects of the Civil War and the Francoist dictatorship in Spanish contemporary society (Benchmark statement 5.7)
- The ability to critically understand the on-going debates about the role played by memory and forgetting in Spanish contemporary history (Benchmark statement 5.7)
- The ability to analyse, interpret and historically contextualise a range of Spanish, Galician and Catalan films using different forms of critical analysis (cultural, historical, socio-political and literary). (Benchmark statement 5.7, 5.10 and 5.14)
- 11, The ability to analyse key cinematic techniques and to provide a critical evaluation of cinematic imagery and language in Catalan cinema (Benchmark statements 5.7, 5.10)
- The ability to write a film review about a Catalan film (Benchmark statement 5.15)
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/lxs-3041.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- Q3WP: BA Eng Lang with Film Studs year 3 (BA/ELFS)
- W620: BA Film Studies year 3 (BA/FLM)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/FLM1)
- P3V1: BA Film Studies and History year 3 (BA/FSH)
- 2W89: BA Film Studies (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/FSIE)
- R2P4: BA German with Media Studies year 4 (BA/GMST)
- V1W6: BA History with Film Studies year 3 (BA/HFS)
- V1W7: BA History with Film Studies with International Experience year 4 (BA/HFSIE)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- NR44: BA Accounting/Spanish year 4 (BA/ASP)
- NR34: BA Banking/Spanish year 4 (BA/BSP)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 4 (BA/BUSSS)
- T107: BA Chinese and Spanish year 4 (BA/CHSP)
- MR94: BA Criminology/Spanish year 4 (BA/CRSP)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTSP)
- LR14: BA Economics/Spanish year 4 (BA/ECSP)
- 3YT5: BA English Literature and Spanish year 4 (BA/ELIS)
- QR3K: BA English Language and Spanish year 4 (BA/ELSP)
- RR14: BA French and Spanish year 4 (BA/FS4#)
- T125: BA Film Studies and Chinese year 4 (BA/FSCH)
- P3W8: BA Film Studies and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/FSCW)
- 3P3Q: BA Film Studies and English Literature year 3 (BA/FSEL)
- PQ3J: BA Film Studies and English Language year 3 (BA/FSELAN)
- PR31: BA Film Studies and French year 4 (BA/FSFR4)
- W622: BA Film Studies with Game Design year 3 (BA/FSGD)
- PR32: BA Film Studies and German year 4 (BA/FSGER)
- P0R3: BA Film Studies and Italian year 4 (BA/FSI)
- PR34: BA Film Studies and Spanish year 4 (BA/FSSPAN4)
- P3W5: BA Film Studies with Theatre and Performance year 3 (BA/FSTP)
- RR24: BA German/Spanish (4 years) year 4 (BA/GS)
- 8Y64: BA German and Spanish (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/GSIE)
- RV41: BA History/Spanish year 4 (BA/HSP)
- QR14: BA Linguistics/Spanish year 4 (BA/LSP)
- NR54: BA Marketing and Spanish (4 year) year 4 (BA/MKTSP)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 3 (BA/MUSFS)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 4 (BA/MUSP)
- VVR4: BA Philosophy and Religion and Spanish year 4 (BA/PRS)
- W6W8: BA Professional Writing & Film year 3 (BA/PWF)
- RR43: BA Spanish/Italian year 4 (BA/SI)
- R400: BA Spanish year 4 (BA/SP4)
- R4N1: BA Spanish with Business Studies year 4 (BA/SPBS)
- T110: BA Spanish with Chinese year 4 (BA/SPCH)
- R4W8: BA Spanish with Creative Writing year 4 (BA/SPCW)
- QR54: BA Spanish/Cymraeg year 4 (BA/SPCY)
- R4R1: BA Spanish with French year 4 (BA/SPFR)
- R4R2: BA Spanish with German year 4 (BA/SPG)
- R4R3: BA Spanish with Italian year 4 (BA/SPI)
- R4P5: BA Spanish with Journalism year 4 (BA/SPJO)
- R4N5: BA Spanish with Marketing year 4 (BA/SPMKT)
- R4P3: BA Spanish with Media Studies year 4 (BA/SPMS)
- CR6K: BA Spanish/Sports Science year 4 (BA/SPSSC)
- VP23: BA Welsh History and Film Studies year 3 (BA/WHFS)