Intro to Business and Mgmt
Run by Bangor Business School
10 Credits or 5 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Dr Siwan Mitchelmore
Overall aims and purpose
The aim of this course is to provide an introduction to business, management and organisations. Organisations are key to the way in which we organise society, and a study of organisations is central to developing an understanding not only of business and management, but of many other aspects of our lives. The course explores the context of business, the organisation of work and nature of management.
• Introduction to the module • Explaining Organisational Behaviour • The Environment • Learning • Culture • Personality • Motivation • Groups • Leadership • Elements of structure • Creativity and Innovation
For example can describe the history of management theories and provide definitions of management and organisations. Demonstrates a basic understanding of how individuals differ and the nature of working in groups.
As above, combined with the ability to analyse, for example, why different management theories have emerged, reasons for different organisational structures, and how individuals are motivated to work.
As above, with the ability to critically evaluate the literature discussed, and apply to practical examples, eg. identify problems associated with managing within contemporary organisations.
Explore the relationship between individuals and their working environment, including the motivation to work, the social dimension of working with others, and the nature and function of leadership.
Understand the work as a social activity, in which leadership integrates the achievement of task activity and the development of social processes.
Understand the complexity of the management task.
Understand the changing nature of a business environment and how it can affect internal structures of organisations
Recognise the importance of innovation and creativity
|Exam S1 2hrs||60|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
Two 1-hour lectures per week.
One 1-hour tutorial per fornight.
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- NQ26: BA Astudiaethau Busnes a Chymraeg year 1 (BA/ABCH)
- N1R1: BA Bus Stud with French year 1 (BA/BSFR)
- N1R2: BA Business Studies with German year 1 (BA/BSGER)
- N1R3: BA Business Studies with Italian year 1 (BA/BSIT)
- N1R4: BA Business Studies with Spanish year 1 (BA/BSSP)
- NM11: BA Business and Law year 1 (BA/BUSALAW)
- N1T1: BA Business Studies and Chinese year 1 (BA/BUSCH)
- NM1B: BA Business and Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/BUSLAW1)
- N100: BA Business Studies year 1 (BA/BUSS)
- NR1C: BA Business Studies/French year 1 (BA/BUSSF)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 1 (BA/BUSSG)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 1 (BA/BUSSI)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 1 (BA/BUSSS)
- R1NC: BA French with Business Studies year 1 (BA/FBS)
- R1N1: BA French with Marketing year 1 (BA/FRMKT)
- R2NC: BA German with Business Studies year 1 (BA/GBS)
- R2N1: BA German with Marketing year 1 (BA/GERMKT)
- N5R3: BA Marketing with Italian year 1 (BA/MKITAL)
- N5R1: BA Marketing with French year 1 (BA/MKTFR)
- NR51: BA Marketing and French (4 year) year 1 (BA/MKTFR#)
- N5R2: BA Marketing with German year 1 (BA/MKTGER)
- NR52: BA Marketing and German (4 year) year 1 (BA/MKTGER4)
- NR53: BA Marketing and Italian (4 year) year 1 (BA/MKTITAL)
- NR54: BA Marketing and Spanish (4 year) year 1 (BA/MKTSP)
- N5R4: BA Marketing with Spanish year 1 (BA/MKTSP#)
- R4N1: BA Spanish with Business Studies year 1 (BA/SPBS)
- R4N5: BA Spanish with Marketing year 1 (BA/SPMKT)
- NN44: BSc Accounting and Banking with International Experience year 1 (BSC/ABIE)
- NN43: BSc Accounting and Banking year 1 (BSC/ACCB)
- NL41: BSc Accounting and Economics year 1 (BSC/ACCEC)
- NN4H: BSc Accounting and Finance year 1 (BSC/ACCFIN)
- N402: BSc Accounting & Finance (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/ACCFINIE)
- NL42: BSc Accounting and Economics with International Experience year 1 (BSC/AEIE)
- L190: BSc Business Economics year 1 (BSC/BEC)
- L191: BSc Business Economics with International Experience year 1 (BSC/BECIE)
- 8V55: BSc Banking and Finance (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/BFIE)
- N391: BSc Banking and Finance year 1 (BSC/BFIN)
- N101: BSc Business Studies year 1 (BSC/BS)
- NN1H: BSc Business Studies and Finance year 1 (BSC/BSFIN)
- NNM1: BSc Business Studies & Marketing with Intl Experience year 1 (BSC/BSMIE)
- NN1M: BSc Business Studies and Marketing year 1 (BSC/BSMKT)
- L111: BSc Financial Economics year 1 (BSC/FINEC)
- N501: BSc Marketing year 1 (BSC/MKT)
- N2NK: BSc Management with Accounting year 1 (BSC/MWACC)
- 2R87: BSc Psychology with Business year 1 (BSC/PWB)
- 2R88: BSc Psychology with Business with International Experience year 1 (BSC/PWBIE)
- C6N1: BSc Sport Science and Business year 1 (BSC/SSB)
- M1N1: LLB Law with Business Studies year 1 (LLB/LBS)
Optional in courses:
- IN00: BSc Computer Information Systems for Business year 1 (BSC/CISB)
- GN41: BSC Computer Science for Business year 1 (BSC/CSFB)
- M100: LLB Law year 1 (LLB/L)