Business Information Systems
Run by Bangor Business School
10 Credits or 5 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Prof Gareth Griffiths
Overall aims and purpose
To develop effectiveness as a business user of information systems, and as a collaborator with information systems professionals in defining appropriate applications including those in online businesses.
Information systems and competitive advantage, including the value chain, and the nature of data, information and knowledge; E-Business online models, innovative new businesses Business systems concepts, business processes and business systems; Communication, networks, software, models for effective virtual communication; Impact of technology on working life, and new modules of working; Developing and changing technology, including stages in systems development projects, such as analysis, specification, design and implementation; Business uses of social media Control and security, in networked environments, including intranet and internet.
Ability to demonstrate the basic comprehension of business information concepts. Some errors in interpretation and application of the concepts to the business practice.
Ability to apply concepts in development of business strategies and to recognise factors influencing its implementation in business practice.
In addition to the above; ability to critically assess developments of business information systems in the contemporary business environment and reflect upon recent literature and other relevant market information.
Explain the contributions of information systems to organisations.
Identify and evaluate organisational applications of information systems.
Explain and illustrate the nature of business processes and database management.
|Exam S2 2hrs||60|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
2 hours per week of taught lectures/class discussions for 12 weeks
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Numeracy - Proficiency in using numbers at appropriate levels of accuracy
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Subject specific skills
- Problem solving and critical analysis: analysing facts and circumstances to determine the cause of a problem and identifying and selecting appropriate solutions.
- Research: the ability to analyse and evaluate a range of business data, sources of information and appropriate methodologies, which includes the need for strong digital literacy, and to use that research for evidence-based decision-making.
- Commercial acumen: based on an awareness of the key drivers for business success, causes of failure and the importance of providing customer satisfaction and building customer loyalty.
- Innovation, creativity and enterprise: the ability to act entrepreneurially to generate, develop and communicate ideas, manage and exploit intellectual property, gain support, and deliver successful outcomes.
- Ability to work with people from a range of cultures.
- Articulating and effectively explaining information.
- Communication and listening including the ability to produce clear, structured business communications in a variety of media.
- Conceptual and critical thinking, analysis, synthesis and evaluation.
- Self-management: a readiness to accept responsibility and flexibility, to be resilient, self-starting and appropriately assertive, to plan, organise and manage time.
- Self reflection: self-analysis and an awareness/sensitivity to diversity in terms of people and cultures. This includes a continuing appetite for development.
Talis Reading listhttp://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/asb-2112.html
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- NQ26: BA Astudiaethau Busnes a Chymraeg year 2 (BA/ABCH)
- N1R1: BA Bus Stud with French year 2 (BA/BSFR)
- N1R2: BA Business Studies with German year 2 (BA/BSGER)
- N1R3: BA Business Studies with Italian year 2 (BA/BSIT)
- N1R4: BA Business Studies with Spanish year 2 (BA/BSSP)
- NM11: BA Business and Law year 2 (BA/BUSALAW)
- N1T1: BA Business Studies and Chinese year 2 (BA/BUSCH)
- NM1B: BA Business and Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/BUSLAW1)
- N100: BA Business Studies year 2 (BA/BUSS)
- NR1C: BA Business Studies/French year 2 (BA/BUSSF)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 2 (BA/BUSSG)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 2 (BA/BUSSI)
- N102: BA Business Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/BUSSIE)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 2 (BA/BUSSS)
- R1NC: BA French with Business Studies year 2 (BA/FBS)
- R2NC: BA German with Business Studies year 2 (BA/GBS)
- N2N4: BA Management with Accounting year 2 (BA/MAF)
- N500: BA Marketing year 2 (BA/MK)
- NR51: BA Marketing and French (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTFR#)
- NR52: BA Marketing and German (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTGER4)
- NR53: BA Marketing and Italian (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTITAL)
- NR54: BA Marketing and Spanish (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTSP)
- R4N1: BA Spanish with Business Studies year 2 (BA/SPBS)
- N105: BSc Business Studies (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICBS)
- NN24: BSc Management with Account (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICMNA)
- N503: BSc Marketing (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICMRK)
- N101: BSc Business Studies year 2 (BSC/BS)
- N10B: BSc Business Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/BS1)
- I110: BSc Computer Information Systems year 2 (BSC/CIS)
- I11B: BSc Computer Information Systems (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/CIS1)
- IN00: BSc Computer Information Systems for Business year 2 (BSC/CISB)
- IN0B: BSc Computer Information Sys for Bus (4 year w Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/CISB1)
- N501: BSc Marketing year 2 (BSC/MKT)
- N50B: BSc Marketing (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/MKT1)
- N2NK: BSc Management with Accounting year 2 (BSC/MWACC)
- N2NL: BSc Management with Accounting (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/MWACC1)
- M1N1: LLB Law with Business Studies year 2 (LLB/LBS)
- MN1B: LLB Law with Business (4year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (LLB/LBS1)
Optional in courses:
- N400: BA Accounting and Finance year 2 (BA/AF)
- N401: BA Accounting & Finance (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/AFIE)
- N322: BA Banking and Finance year (BA/BIF)
- NN15: BA Business Studies and Marketing year 2 (BA/BSM)
- 8N60: BA Business Studies and Marketing (with International Exp) year 2 (BA/BSMIE)
- N5R3: BA Marketing with Italian year 2 (BA/MKITAL)
- N5R1: BA Marketing with French year 2 (BA/MKTFR)
- N5R2: BA Marketing with German year 2 (BA/MKTGER)
- N5R4: BA Marketing with Spanish year 2 (BA/MKTSP#)
- NN44: BSc Accounting and Banking with International Experience year 2 (BSC/ABIE)
- NN43: BSc Accounting and Banking year 2 (BSC/ACCB)
- NN46: BSc Accounting and Banking (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/ACCB1)
- NL41: BSc Accounting and Economics year 2 (BSC/ACCEC)
- NL4B: BSc Accounting and Economics (4 year with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BSC/ACCEC1)
- NL42: BSc Accounting and Economics with International Experience year 2 (BSC/AEIE)
- L190: BSc Business Economics year 2 (BSC/BEC)
- L19B: BSc Business Economics (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/BEC1)
- L191: BSc Business Economics with International Experience year 2 (BSC/BECIE)
- L192: BSc Business Economics (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICBE)
- N106: BSc Business Stud & Finance (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICBSF)
- L193: BSc Financial Economics (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICFE)
- NN1H: BSc Business Studies and Finance year 2 (BSC/BSFIN)
- NN1J: BSc Business Studies and Finance (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/BSFIN1)
- NNM1: BSc Business Studies & Marketing with Intl Experience year 2 (BSC/BSMIE)
- NN1M: BSc Business Studies and Marketing year 2 (BSC/BSMKT)
- NN1K: BSc Business Studies & Marketing (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/BSMKT1)
- L111: BSc Financial Economics year 2 (BSC/FINEC)
- L11B: BSc Financial Economics (4 year w Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/FINEC1)