Management: Planning & Control
Run by Bangor Business School
20 Credits or 10 ECTS Credits
Semester 1 & 2
Organiser: Mr John Goddard
Overall aims and purpose
This module aims to develop the practical and co-ordinating skills needed by managers. This will include working in groups, with a focus on time management, organising and conducting meetings and other forms of communication, together with co-ordinating management functions and tasks.
The module will involve a field trip to a professional football club, where students will be working in groups on various tasks and management scenarios. Students will be required to make a financial contribution to the cost of travel, accommodation and subsistence of the field trip.
The number of registrations for this module is limited.
Topics may include but will not be limited to: A crisis management scenario, completed over the course of a two-day field trip, where students will be required to prepare an appropriate response to a series of simulated events that unfold over the course of a match day Development of a proposal for an affinity product partnership, linking the football club's brand to the marketing of another product.
D- to D+ (40-49%): No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.
B- to B+ (60-69%): Very good performance Most of the relevant information accurately deployed. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
A- to A+ (70%+): Outstanding performance. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
C- to C+
C- to C+ (50-59%): Much of the relevant information and skills mostly accurately deployed. Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Demonstrate teamwork and presentational skills in a simulated environment under time pressure, and communicate and interact with non-academic professionals.
Understand the issues involved in solving complex problems facing organisations.
Participate in a management process in a simulated situation, and demonstrate experience of functional areas such as customer and media relations.
Apply theories and techniques covered in other modules, facilitating integration of studies across a range of functional areas of management.
|Group Presentation 1||30|
|Business Plan [group work]||50|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
Lectures for introductory briefing and scene-setting (prior to field trip).
Field trip (2 days + travel = 3 days total).
Preparing through group discussion and individual research for business plan presentation, and the completion of written reports following the field trip.
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Numeracy - Proficiency in using numbers at appropriate levels of accuracy
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
- Management - Able to utilise, coordinate and control resources (human, physical and/or financial)
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
- Leadership - Able to lead and manage, develop action plans and objectives, offer guidance and direction to others, and cope with the related pressures such authority can result in
Subject specific skills
- People management: to include communications, team building, leadership and motivating others.
- Problem solving and critical analysis: analysing facts and circumstances to determine the cause of a problem and identifying and selecting appropriate solutions.
- Research: the ability to analyse and evaluate a range of business data, sources of information and appropriate methodologies, which includes the need for strong digital literacy, and to use that research for evidence-based decision-making.
- Commercial acumen: based on an awareness of the key drivers for business success, causes of failure and the importance of providing customer satisfaction and building customer loyalty.
- Networking: an awareness of the interpersonal skills of effective listening, negotiating, persuasion and presentation and their use in generating business contacts.
- Ability to work with people from a range of cultures.
- Articulating and effectively explaining information.
- Communication and listening including the ability to produce clear, structured business communications in a variety of media.
- Emotional intelligence and empathy.
- Self-management: a readiness to accept responsibility and flexibility, to be resilient, self-starting and appropriately assertive, to plan, organise and manage time.
Resource implications for students
The module will involve a field trip to a professional football club. Students will be required to make a financial contribution to the cost of travel, accommodation and subsistence of the field trip.
Courses including this module
Optional in courses:
- NQ26: BA Astudiaethau Busnes a Chymraeg year 2 (BA/ABCH)
- N2T1: BA Business Management and Chinese year 2 (BA/BMCH)
- N2R1: BA Business Management and French year 2 (BA/BMFR)
- N2R2: BA Business Management and German year 2 (BA/BMG)
- N2R3: BA Business Management and Italian year 2 (BA/BMI)
- N2M1: BA Business Management and Law year 2 (BA/BML)
- N2R4: BA Business Management and Spanish year 2 (BA/BMS)
- N1R1: BA Bus Stud with French year 2 (BA/BSFR)
- N1R2: BA Business Studies with German year 2 (BA/BSGER)
- N1R3: BA Business Studies with Italian year 2 (BA/BSIT)
- 8N60: BA Business Studies and Marketing (with International Exp) year 2 (BA/BSMIE)
- N1R4: BA Business Studies with Spanish year 2 (BA/BSSP)
- N107: BA Business year 2 (BA/BUS)
- NM11: BA Business and Law year 2 (BA/BUSALAW)
- N1T1: BA Business Studies and Chinese year 2 (BA/BUSCH)
- NM1B: BA Business and Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/BUSLAW1)
- N100: BA Business Studies year 2 (BA/BUSS)
- NR1C: BA Business Studies/French year 2 (BA/BUSSF)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 2 (BA/BUSSG)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 2 (BA/BUSSI)
- N102: BA Business Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/BUSSIE)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 2 (BA/BUSSS)
- L190: BSc Business Economics year 2 (BSC/BEC)
- L19B: BSc Business Economics (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/BEC1)
- L19F: BSc Business and Economics year 2 (BSC/BECF)
- L191: BSc Business Economics with International Experience year 2 (BSC/BECIE)
- L19P: BSc Business Economics with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/BECP)
- L192: BSc Business Economics (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICBE)
- N201: BSc Business Management (Bangor Uni International College) year 2 (BSC/BICBM)
- N105: BSc Business Studies (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICBS)
- N106: BSc Business Stud & Finance (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICBSF)
- NN24: BSc Management with Account (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICMNA)
- N503: BSc Marketing (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICMRK)
- N200: BSc Business Management year 2 (BSC/BM)
- N20B: BSc Business Management (4 year with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BSC/BM1)
- N2ND: BSc Business Management with Accounting year 2 (BSC/BMA)
- N3NF: BSc Business Management with Accounting year 2 (BSC/BMAF)
- N2NP: BSc Business Management with Accounting with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/BMAP)
- NN23: BSc Business Management and Finance year 2 (BSC/BMF)
- NN2B: BSc Business Man & Finance (4 year with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BSC/BMF1)
- NN2F: BSc Business Management and Finance year (BSC/BMFINF)
- NN2P: Business Management and Finance with Placement Year year (BSC/BMFP)
- N2N5: BSc Business Management and Marketing year 2 (BSC/BMM)
- N2NC: BSc Business Man & Marketing (4 yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BSC/BMM1)
- N101: BSc Business Studies year 2 (BSC/BS)
- N10B: BSc Business Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/BS1)
- NN1H: BSc Business Studies and Finance year 2 (BSC/BSFIN)
- NN1J: BSc Business Studies and Finance (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/BSFIN1)
- NNM1: BSc Business Studies & Marketing with Intl Experience year 2 (BSC/BSMIE)
- NN1M: BSc Business Studies and Marketing year 2 (BSC/BSMKT)
- NN1K: BSc Business Studies & Marketing (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/BSMKT1)
- IN00: BSc Computer Information Systems for Business year 2 (BSC/CISB)
- IN0B: BSc Computer Information Sys for Bus (4 year w Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/CISB1)
- N501: BSc Marketing year 2 (BSC/MKT)
- N50B: BSc Marketing (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/MKT1)
- N50F: BSc Marketing year 2 (BSC/MKTF)
- N2NK: BSc Management with Accounting year 2 (BSC/MWACC)
- N2NL: BSc Management with Accounting (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/MWACC1)
- C6N1: BSc Sport Science & Business Management year 2 (BSC/SSB)