Management Accounting 1 & 2
Run by Bangor Business School
20 Credits or 10 ECTS Credits
Semester 1 & 2
Organiser: Ms Wendy Ashurst
Overall aims and purpose
NOTE: If you are registered for BA/BSc Accounting and Finance, you must achieve a grade of at least 40% in this module in order to proceed to Year 3.
To develop knowledge, understanding and computational skills in the application of a range of management accounting techniques and their role within an organisation.
Costings, budgets and pricing; Throughput account; Budgetary systems; Advanced standard costing; Performance measurement; Working capital management; Application of advanced management accounting techniques in organisations.
Techniques are applied mechanically with few errors but with only limited additional insight beyond basic lecture content. There is limited evidence of reading beyond the main course text.
Techniques are applied methodically and some consideration is shown to the organisational context. There is evidence of more widespread reading but there may still be some lack of sophistication in the matching of techniques to problems.
A high level of computational competence is backed by detailed analysis of problems and consideration of the appropriateness of the techniques used. There is evidence of widespread reading together with an innovative and insightful solution to the demands of the organisational environment.
Understand and apply management accounting techniques used in planning, control and decision-making within organisations.
Identify how management accounting can provide support for corporate strategic aims.
Understand and apply a range of specialist cost and management accounting techniques
Describe the application of a variety of budgetary systems in various organisational.
Calculate and explain basic and advanced variances in a standard costing system, including mix and yield and planning and operational variances.
Discuss the measurement of organisational and divisional performance in the private and public sectors, including an explanation of the effect of transfer pricing methods upon organisational and divisional decision making.
Discuss and apply working capital management techniques including inventories, accounts receivable and payable, and cash.
Teaching and Learning Strategy
One 2-hour lecture per week.
One 1-hour tutorial every 2 weeks.
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- N400: BA Accounting and Finance year 2 (BA/AF)
- N401: BA Accounting & Finance (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/AFIE)
- NR43: BA Accounting/Italian year 2 (BA/AIT)
- NR44: BA Accounting/Spanish year 2 (BA/ASP)
- NR41: BA French/Accounting year 2 (BA/FRA)
- NR42: BA German/Accounting year 2 (BA/GA)
- N2N4: BA Management with Accounting year 2 (BA/MAF)
- NN44: BSc Accounting and Banking with International Experience year 2 (BSC/ABIE)
- NN43: BSc Accounting and Banking year 2 (BSC/ACCB)
- NL41: BSc Accounting and Economics year 2 (BSC/ACCEC)
- NN4H: BSc Accounting and Finance year 2 (BSC/ACCFIN)
- N402: BSc Accounting & Finance (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/ACCFINIE)
- NL42: BSc Accounting and Economics with International Experience year 2 (BSC/AEIE)
- N2NK: BSc Management with Accounting year 2 (BSC/MWACC)
- M1N4: LLB Law with Acc and Finance year 2 (LLB/LAF)
Optional in courses:
- NQ26: BA Astudiaethau Busnes a Chymraeg year 2 (BA/ABCH)
- N1R1: BA Bus Stud with French year 2 (BA/BSFR)
- N1R2: BA Business Studies with German year 2 (BA/BSGER)
- N1R3: BA Business Studies with Italian year 2 (BA/BSIT)
- NN15: BA Business Studies and Marketing year 2 (BA/BSM)
- N1R4: BA Business Studies with Spanish year 2 (BA/BSSP)
- NM11: BA Business and Law year 2 (BA/BUSALAW)
- N1T1: BA Business Studies and Chinese year 2 (BA/BUSCH)
- NM1B: BA Business and Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/BUSLAW1)
- N100: BA Business Studies year 2 (BA/BUSS)
- NR1C: BA Business Studies/French year 2 (BA/BUSSF)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 2 (BA/BUSSG)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 2 (BA/BUSSI)
- N102: BA Business Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/BUSSIE)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 2 (BA/BUSSS)
- N500: BA Marketing year 2 (BA/MK)
- L190: BSc Business Economics year 2 (BSC/BEC)
- L191: BSc Business Economics with International Experience year 2 (BSC/BECIE)
- 8V55: BSc Banking and Finance (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/BFIE)
- N391: BSc Banking and Finance year 2 (BSC/BFIN)
- N101: BSc Business Studies year 2 (BSC/BS)
- NN1H: BSc Business Studies and Finance year 2 (BSC/BSFIN)
- NNM1: BSc Business Studies & Marketing with Intl Experience year 2 (BSC/BSMIE)
- NN1M: BSc Business Studies and Marketing year 2 (BSC/BSMKT)
- N501: BSc Marketing year 2 (BSC/MKT)