Globaliz'tn & Multin'tl Corp'n
|School:||Bangor Business School|
|Credits:||10 (or 5 ECTS credits)|
|Organiser:||Prof Bernardo Batiz-Lazo|
Overall aims and purpose
To describe and assess the emergence and evolution of the modern day multinational, multidivisional business enterprise (MNC) in Britain in the context of globalisation, its relation with the state and its interaction with other organisational forms (namely family firms and mutuals). An important part of the course will involve examining and reflecting upon mutiple points of view regarding diverse topics.
Globalisation and its discontent; Engines of growth; Business and the state; Big Business; The Chandlerian firm; Business groups, mutuals and co-operatives; Technology and the digital economy; Business and business schools; Excellent firms - a longitudinal analysis (Presentations).
Satisfactory standard: 40-40% No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills; Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements; Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.
Average standard: 50-59% Much of the relevant informaiton and skills mostly accurately deployed; Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements; Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives; Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
High standard: 60-69% Very good performance; Most of the relevant information accurately deployed; Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements; Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Excellent Standard 70+ An outstanding performance, exceptionally able; The relevant information accurately deployed; Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements; Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives; Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Ascertain the process of globalization from the perspective of the enterprise.
Recognise the large number of cultural, political, social and economic factors relevant to explaining how business organisations have evolved.
Apply concepts, theories, tools and frameworks of business history to other studies within management.
Know significant facts, events and developments relevant to business and managers who work in an international setting.
Understand the complexity that is involved in longitudinal studies of business organisations.
Teaching and Learning Strategy
One 2-hour lecture every week.
Talis Reading listhttp://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/asb-3117.html
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
- ASB-2508: Corporate Gov'nce & Regulation
- ASB-2104: Princ.of Organisation & Mgmt
- ASB-2511: Evolution of Mgmt Thought
- ASB-2305: Economics for Managers
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- NN72: BA Administration and Management year 3 (BA/ADMGT)
- N100: BA Business Studies year 3 (BA/BUSS)
- N102: BA Business Studies (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/BUSSIE)
- N101: BSc Business Studies year 3 (BSC/BS)
Optional in courses:
- NN45: BA Accounting and Banking year 3 (BA/AB)
- NQ26: BA Astudiaethau Busnes a Chymraeg year 3 (BA/ABCH)
- NN36: BA Accounting and Banking with International Experience year 4 (BA/ABIE)
- N400: BA Accounting and Finance year 3 (BA/AF)
- N401: BA Accounting & Finance (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/AFIE)
- NR43: BA Accounting/Italian year 4 (BA/AIT)
- NR44: BA Accounting/Spanish year 4 (BA/ASP)
- NG10: BA Business and Computer Information Systems year 3 (BA/BCIS)
- L114: BA Business Economics year 3 (BA/BE)
- L115: BA Business Economics (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/BEIE)
- N322: BA Banking and Finance year 3 (BA/BIF)
- NR33: BA Banking/Italian year 4 (BA/BIT)
- NN13: BA Business Studies and Finance year 3 (BA/BSF)
- NN14: BA Business Stud & Finance (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/BSFIE)
- N1R1: BA Bus Stud with French year 3 (BA/BSFR)
- N1R2: BA Business Studies with German year 3 (BA/BSGER)
- N1R3: BA Business Studies with Italian year 3 (BA/BSIT)
- NN15: BA Business Studies and Marketing year 3 (BA/BSM)
- NR34: BA Banking/Spanish year 4 (BA/BSP)
- N1R4: BA Business Studies with Spanish year 3 (BA/BSSP)
- NM11: BA Business and Law year 3 (BA/BUSALAW)
- NR1C: BA Business Studies/French year 4 (BA/BUSSF)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 4 (BA/BUSSG)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 4 (BA/BUSSI)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 4 (BA/BUSSS)
- LN14: BA Economics/Accounting year 3 (BA/ECA)
- LN15: BA Accounting & Economics (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/ECAIE)
- L1T1: BA Economics and Chinese year 4 (BA/ECCH)
- LR13: BA Economics/Italian year 4 (BA/ECIT)
- LL13: BA Sociology/Economics year 3 (BA/ECS)
- LR14: BA Economics/Spanish year 4 (BA/ECSP)
- R1NC: BA French with Business Studies year 4 (BA/FBS)
- NR41: BA French/Accounting year 4 (BA/FRA)
- NR31: BA French/Banking year 4 (BA/FRB)
- LR11: BA French/Economics year 4 (BA/FREC)
- NR42: BA German/Accounting year 4 (BA/GA)
- NR32: BA German/Banking year 4 (BA/GB)
- R2NC: BA German with Business Studies year 4 (BA/GBS)
- LR12: BA German/Economics year 4 (BA/GEC)
- LV11: BA History/Economics year 3 (BA/HEC)
- N2N4: BA Management with Accounting year 3 (BA/MAF)
- N500: BA Marketing year 3 (BA/MK)
- N5R3: BA Marketing with Italian year 4 (BA/MKITAL)
- N5R1: BA Marketing with French year 4 (BA/MKTFR)
- N5R2: BA Marketing with German year 4 (BA/MKTGER)
- N5R4: BA Marketing with Spanish year 4 (BA/MKTSP#)
- R4N1: BA Spanish with Business Studies year 4 (BA/SPBS)
- LL14: BA Social Policy/Economics year 3 (BA/SPEC)
- NN44: BSc Accounting and Banking with International Experience year 4 (BSC/ABIE)
- NN43: BSc Accounting and Banking year 3 (BSC/ACCB)
- NL41: BSc Accounting and Economics year 3 (BSC/ACCEC)
- NN4H: BSc Accounting and Finance year 3 (BSC/ACCFIN)
- N402: BSc Accounting & Finance (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/ACCFINIE)
- NL42: BSc Accounting and Economics with International Experience year 4 (BSC/AEIE)
- L190: BSc Business Economics year 3 (BSC/BEC)
- N391: BSc Banking and Finance year 3 (BSC/BFIN)
- NN1H: BSc Business Studies and Finance year 3 (BSC/BSFIN)
- NNM1: BSc Business Studies & Marketing with Intl Experience year 4 (BSC/BSMIE)
- NN1M: BSc Business Studies and Marketing year 3 (BSC/BSMKT)
- L111: BSc Financial Economics year 3 (BSC/FINEC)
- N501: BSc Marketing year 3 (BSC/MKT)
- N2NK: BSc Management with Accounting year 3 (BSC/MWACC)
- N2NH: BSc Management with Banking & Fin year 3 (BSC/MWBF)