Intermediate Italian I
Run by School of Languages, Literatures and Linguistics.
20 Credits or 10 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Dr Silvia Bergamini
Overall aims and purpose
strong text1. To consolidate and expand on students' knowledge of grammar and vocabulary and to introduce students to a variety of registers. 2. To develop oral and aural skills through exposure to a wide range of audio-visual material. 3. To enable students to translate texts from Italian into English and to produce more advanced pieces of writing in Italian, such as short essays.
Students on this module will be working towards achieving B2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
This first semester course, aimed at post-GCSE or post-A Level candidates, intends to consolidate and expand the students' knowledge of grammar and vocabulary through exposure to a variety of texts, ranging from newspaper articles to literary extracts, differing in register and style (to include very colloquial and very formal examples). Written (including translation) skills will be consolidated; oral and aural skills will also be emphasised through classes in which students watch/listen to extracts from films/TV or radio programmes and are encouraged to discuss and analyse their contents.
M. Piantoni, R. Bozzone Costa, C. Ghezzi. 'Nuovo Contatto A2: Corso di Lingua e civilta italiana per stranieri', Loescher Editore. (Semester 1)
LZI1002 M. Piantoni, R. Bozzone Costa, C. Ghezzi. "Contatto 2A Livello Intermedio', Loescher Editore (Semester 2)
Any other learning resources: Writing classes dossier; Self-study portfolio; Lingu exercises.
40-49%: Limited knowledge of grammar and vocabulary resulting in a limited ability to communicate orally or in writing.
50-69%: Good knowledge of grammar and vocabulary resulting in a good ability to communicate orally or in writing.
70+%: Excellent knowledge of grammar and vocabulary resulting in a excellent ability to communicate orally or in writing.
Speaking: discuss basic topics of general and current interest; deliver prepared presentations in the TL on topics of general interest.
Reading: understand a range of styles and registers in order to obtain information, ideas and opinions from a variety of texts.
Writing: express themselves accurately in the TL in a variety of text types including essays, summaries, letters, etc.
Listening: obtain information opinions and ideas from a range of simple and complex spoken registers; understand information in both formal and informal registers in the TL (= target language).
|COURSEWORK||Translation into English/Welsh||25|
|EXAM||2 hour written exam||50|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
Seminars - 4 hours per week for 11 weeks per semester
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
- LZI-2040: Italian Language 1
- LZI-2032: 3 Lang Project (3 major)
- LXI-2010: Making of the Italian Nation
- LZI-1002: Intermediate Italian II
- LZI-2020: Italian Language 1 (3 Major)
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- NR43: BA Accounting/Italian year 1 (BA/AIT)
- NR33: BA Banking/Italian year 1 (BA/BIT)
- N1R3: BA Business Studies with Italian year 1 (BA/BSIT)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 1 (BA/BUSSI)
- T112: BA Chinese & French with Italian year 1 (BA/CHFI)
- T115: BA Chinese & German with Italian year 1 (BA/CHGI)
- T117: BA Chinese & Italian with French year 1 (BA/CHIF)
- T118: BA Chinese & Italian with German year 1 (BA/CHIG)
- T119: BA Chinese & Italian with Spanish year 1 (BA/CHIS)
- T106: BA Chinese and Italian year 1 (BA/CHIT)
- T122: BA Chinese & Spanish with Italian year 1 (BA/CHSI)
- MR95: BA Criminology&Criml Just/Italian year 1 (BA/CRIT)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTITAL)
- LR13: BA Economics/Italian year 1 (BA/ECIT)
- 09V3: BA English Literature and Italian year 1 (BA/ELI)
- QR3H: BA English Language and Italian year 1 (BA/ELIT)
- R901: BA French & German with Italian year 1 (BA/FGI4)
- R916: BA French, German & Italian year 1 (BA/FGI4#)
- RR13: BA French/Italian(4 years) year 1 (BA/FI)
- R1R3: BA French with Italian year 1 (BA/FI4)
- R918: BA French & Italian with German year 1 (BA/FIG4)
- R919: BA French & Italian with Spanish year 1 (BA/FIS4)
- R917: BA French, Italian & Spanish year 1 (BA/FIS4#)
- P0R3: BA Film Studies and Italian year 1 (BA/FSI)
- R915: BA French & Spanish with Italian year 1 (BA/FSI4)
- RR23: BA German/Italian year 1 (BA/GI)
- R2R3: BA German with Italian year 1 (BA/GI4)
- R921: BA German & Italian with French year 1 (BA/GIF4)
- R924: BA German & Italian with Spanish year 1 (BA/GIS4)
- R925: BA German, Italian & Spanish year 1 (BA/GIS4#)
- R923: BA German & Spanish with Italian year 1 (BA/GSI4)
- RV31: BA History/Italian year 1 (BA/HIT)
- R926: BA Italian & Spanish with French year 1 (BA/ISF4)
- R927: BA Italian & Spanish with German year 1 (BA/ISG4)
- QR53: BA Italian/Cymraeg year 1 (BA/ITCY)
- QR13: BA Italian/Linguistics year 1 (BA/ITL)
- N5R3: BA Marketing with Italian year 1 (BA/MKITAL)
- NR53: BA Marketing and Italian (4 year) year 1 (BA/MKTITAL)
- P3R3: BA Media Studies with Italian year 1 (BA/MSIT)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 1 (BA/MUIT)
- VVR3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Italian year 1 (BA/PRI)
- RR43: BA Spanish/Italian year 1 (BA/SI)
- R4R3: BA Spanish with Italian year 1 (BA/SPI)
- M118: LLB Law with Italian (European Experience) year 1 (LLB/LITE)
Optional in courses:
- M100: LLB Law year 1 (LLB/L)
- M11B: LLB Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (LLB/L1)