Modules for course N1T1 | BA/BUSCH
BA Business Studies and Chinese
This is a provisional list of modules to be offered on this course in the 2018–19 academic year.
The list may not be complete, and the final course content may be different.
- LZC-1003: Chinese for Beginners 1 (20) Core
- LXC-1100: Intro. to Chinese Studies (20) Core
- ASB-1103: Intro to Business and Mgmt (10) • Introduction to the module • Explaining Organisational Behaviour • The Environment • Learning • Culture • Personality • Motivation • Groups • Leadership • Elements of structure • Conflictor
ADB-1103: Busnes a Rheolaeth (10)• Cyflwyniad i’r modiwl • Egluro ymddygiad sefydliadol • Yr Amgylchedd • Dysgu • Diwylliant • Personoliaeth • Symbyliad • Grwpiau • Arweinyddiaeth • Elfennau strwythur • Gwrthdaro
- ASB-1114: Business Analytics (20) or
ADB-1114: Dulliau Dadansoddi Busnes (20)
- LZC-1004: Chinese for Beginners 2 (20) Core
- LXC-1100: Intro. to Chinese Studies
- ASB-1104: Introduction to Marketing (10) Core marketing concepts; Forces of the marketing environment, and their impact; Markets, targeting, segmentation and positioning; Consumer buying behaviour and the decision process; The marketing plan and its implementation; Place, Product, Price and Promotion.or
ACB-1104: Cyflwyniad i Farchnata (10)Cysyniadau craidd marchnata; Grymoedd yr amgylchedd marchnata a’u heffaith; Marchnadoedd, targedu, segmenteiddio a lleoli; Ymddygiad prynu defnyddwyr a’r modd y bydd defnyddwyr yn gwneud penderfyniadau prynu; Y cynllun marchnata a’i weithrediad Dosbarthiad, cynnyrch, pris a hyrwyddo.
- ASB-1114: Business Analytics or
ADB-1114: Dulliau Dadansoddi Busnes
20 credits from:
- ASB-1110: Mgmt & Financial Accounting (20) (Semester 1 + 2) Financial accounting:- Measuring and reporting the financial position of an organisation; Measuring and reporting the financial performance of an organisation; Book-keeping and the preparation of company accounts. Management accounting:- Marginal analysis; Full costing, activity-based costing; Budgeting, accounting for control.or
ACB-1110: Cyfrifeg Rheolaeth ac Ariannol (20) (Semester 1 + 2)Cyfrifeg ariannol: Mesur sefyllfa ariannol sefydliad a rhoi adroddiad ar hynny; Mesur perfformiad ariannol sefydliad a rhoi adroddiad ar hynny; Cadw cyfrifon a pharatoi cyfrifon cwmni. Cyfrifeg rheolaeth: Dadansoddiad ffiniol; Costiad llawn, costiad wedi’i seilio ar weithgaredd; Cyllidebu, cyfrifo ar gyfer rheolaeth.
- ASB-1115: Financial Mathematics (10) (Semester 2) or
ADB-1115: Mathemateg Cyllidol (10) (Semester 2)
- ASB-1202: Financial Mrkts & Institutions (10) (Semester 1) Motivation for the existence of financial markets and financial intermediaries; Main types of financial instruments, financial markets and financial intermediaries; Unique characteristics of banks and recent developments in the banking sector; Different concepts relating to market efficiency; Financial crises and contagion risk for the real economy; Regulation in the financial sector: motivation and recent developments; Theory of central banking: monetary policy, supervision and lender of last resort.or
ADB-1202: Marchnadoedd Sefyd Ariannol (10) (Semester 1)Elfennau sy'n arwain at fodolaeth marchnadoedd ariannol a chyfryngwyr ariannol; Prif fathau o offer ariannol, marchnadoedd ariannol a chyfryngwyr ariannol. Nodweddion unigryw banciau a datblygiadau diweddar yn y sector bancio; Gwahanol gysyniadau'n ymwneud ag effeithiolrwydd y farchnad; Argyfyngau ariannol a risg i hynny ymledu i'r economi wirioneddol; Rheolaethau yn y sector ariannol: ysgogiad a datblygiadau diweddar; Theori bancio ganolog: polisi ariannol, goruchwyliaeth a benthyciwr pan fetho popeth arall.
- ASB-1209: Tutorials in Management (10) (Semester 2)
- ASB-1300: CORE Economics (20) (Semester 1 + 2) or
ACB-1300: Economeg CORE (20) (Semester 1 + 2)
- LZC-2040: Chinese Language Skills (40) Core
- ASB-2103: Principles of Marketing (10) The global marketplace; Marketing information and research; Segmentation, targeting and positioning; Customer relationships and value; Products; brands, product developments and life-cycles; Pricing strategies; Promotion and marketing communication; Public relations, personal selling and sales management; Place, marketing channels.or
ACB-2103: Egwyddorion Marchnata (10)Y farchnad fyd-eang; Gwybodaeth ac ymchwil marchnata; Segmenteiddio, targedu a lleoli; Perthynas â chwsmeriaid a gwerth am arian; Marchnata gwasanaethau; Cynnyrch, brandiau, datblygiad cynnyrch a’u cylch oes; Strategaethau prisio; Cyfathrebu ar gyfer hyrwyddo a marchnata; Cysylltiadau cyhoeddus, sgiliau gwerthu’r unigolyn a rheoli gwerthiant; Lleoliad, sianeli marchnata.
- ASB-2104: Princ.of Organisation & Mgmt (10) Introduction to management and organisations; The 'big picture' external environmental context, PESTLE framework; Organisational structure; Influence of technology and work systems; Management strategy; Organisational culture; Organisational democracy, employee voice, teamwork; Employee motivation and work orientations; Conflict: competing frames of reference, conflict resolution, power and politics.
- LXC-2200: Contemporary Chinese Studies (20) Core
- ASB-2203: Finance (10) Present value and the opportunity cost of capital; New present value and alternative methods of investments appraisal; Project analysis; Financial planning and analysing financial performance.
- LZC-2040: Chinese Language Skills
- ASB-2112: Business Information Systems (10) Information systems and competitive advantage, including the value chain, and the nature of data, information and knowledge; Business systems concepts, business processes and business systems; Communication, networks, software, models for effective virtual communication; Keeping records, including databases, structures, forms, reports and searching; Interacting, including the basics of interface design, and workplace ergonomics; Impact of technology on working life, and new modules of working; Developing and chaning technology, including stages in systems development projects, such as analysis, specification, design and implementation; E-business and e-commerece; Learning with information systems, including innovation, decision making and knowledge management; Control and security, in networked environments, including intranet and internet.or
ADB-2112: Systemau Gwybodaeth Busnes (10)Systemau gwybodaeth a mantais cystadleuol, gan gynnwys y gadwyn werth a natur data a gwybodaeth; Cysyniadau systemau busnes, prosesau busnes a systemau busnes; Cyfathrebu, rhwydweithiau, meddalwedd, modelau ar gyfer cyfathrebu rhithwir effeithiol; Cadw cofnodion, gan gynnwys cronfeydd data, strwythurau, ffurflenni, adroddiadau a chwilio; Rhyngweithio, gan gynnwys cynllunio rhyngwyneb sylfaenol ac ergonomeg y gweithle; Effaith technoleg ar fyd gwaith a modelau gweithio newydd; Technoleg sy'n datblygu a newid, gan gynnwys camau mewn projectau datblygu systemau, megis dadansoddi, manyleb, cynllun a gweithredu; E-fusnes ac e-fasnach; Dysgu gyda systemau gwybodaeth, gan gynnwys datblygiadau newydd, gwneud penderfyniadau a rheoli gwybodaeth; Rheolaeth a diogelwch mewn amgylchedd wedi’i rwydweithio, gan gynnwys y fewnrwyd a’r rhyngrwyd.
- LXC-2200: Contemporary Chinese Studies
20 credits from:
- ASB-2107: Consumer Behaviour (10) (Semester 2) Introduction to consumer behaviour and module; Theories of learning and the role of memory in consumption; The influence of values on consumers and motivation theory; Personality and lifestyles; The fundatmental role of attitude: forming and changing attitudes; The complex process of making decisions; The role of others in consumption; Culture and consumption; The dark side of constumption.
- ASB-2108: Probability and Optimisation (10) (Semester 2) • Partial differentiation, and optimisation of functions of two variables; • Integration; • Probability distributions and random variables; • Measures of central tendency and dispersion, mean and variance; • Discrete random variables, the Binomial and Poisson distributions; • Continuous random variables, the Normal distribution, and statistical tables; • Populations and samples, estimators and estimates; • Confidence intervals.or
ADB-2108: Tebygolrwydd ac Optimeiddiaeth (10) (Semester 2)
- ASB-2109: Marketing Research (10) (Semester 2) The role of marketing research; Defining a research problem, research question and objectives; Questionnaire design, measurement and scaling; Sampling; Quantitative analysis; Collecting secondary data and use of databases; Qualitative methods including interviews, focus groups and observation; Qualitative analysis; Writing a research report; Causal research and an introduction to experiments.
- ASB-2110: Statistical Methods (10) (Semester 1) Constrained optimisation; Hypothesis tests; Type I and Type II errors; Level of significance; Correlation and causality; Linear Regression model; Ordinary Least Squares estimation; Testing the significance of a regression.or
ADB-2110: Dulliau Ystadegol (10) (Semester 1)
- ASB-2113: Marketing Communication (10) (Semester 1) Integrated marketing communication; Application of contemporary communication theory and research methods; Marketing communications strategies and planning; Advertising and media planning; Sales promotion and online marketing communication; Public relations and exhibitions; Packaging and field marketing; Implementation and evaluation of integrated marketing communications strategy.or
ACB-2113: Cyfathrebu Marchnata (10) (Semester 1)Cyfathrebu marchnata integredig; Defnyddio theori cyfathrebu a dulliau ymchwil cyfoes; Strategaethau a chynllunio dulliau o gyfathrebu marchnata; Hysbysebu a chynllunio yn y cyfryngau; Hyrwyddo gwerthiannau a chyfathrebu marchnata ar-lein; Cysylltiadau cyhoeddus ac arddangosfeydd; Gwerthu’n bersonol a marchnata uniongyrchol; Gweithredu a gwerthuso strategaeth cyfathrebu marchnata integredig.
- ASB-2115: Org Learning in Knowledge Econ (10) (Semester 1) Module content will be research led and incorporate high quality historical and current research scholarship on a number of important theories and contemporary themes in organisational learning and knowledge management. The module is likely to incorporate the following topics: • Introduction to key terms including Learning and Knowledge • Historical/ theoretical overview of Individual Learning • Group, Collective and Social Learning • Organisational Learning and Learning Organisation • Knowledge Management, Knowledge Workers and the Knowledge Economy • Designing, Delivering and Evaluating Organisational Learning • The role of e-learning technologies and social media • The role of HRM in OL and KM • Future directions, challenges and opportunities • Personal Learning and Personal Knowledge Management
- CCB-2202: Ymdrin â'ch Pwnc yn Gymraeg (10) (Semester 1) Edrychir yn fanwl ar gyweiriau iaith ac egwyddorion Cymraeg Clir a cheir cyfle i arbrofi ag ysgrifennu gwahanol ddarnau yng nghyd-destun amrywiol feysydd academaidd ar gyfer gwahanol gynulleidfaoedd. Rhoir arweiniad ar sut i ymgyfarwyddo â thermau penodol gwahanol bynciau. Ceir gyfle i ymarfer sgiliau a fydd o ddefnydd i'r myfyrwyr wrth ddilyn cyrsiau trwy gyfrwng y Gymraeg e.e. ysgrifennu nodiadau cydlynnus, crynhoi, trawsieithu a chyfieithu deunydd a defnyddir yn eu meysydd cwricwlaidd. Rhan bwysig o'r modiwl yw'r gwaith paratoi tuag at y cyflwyniad llafar (40% o'r marc terfynol) lle ceir cyfle i gyflwyno elfen benodol ar eu maes academaidd o flaen cynulleidfa o ddarlithwyr a chyd-fyfyrwyr.
- ASB-2305: Economics for Managers (10) (Semester 2) Part 1: Nature of Markets Part 2 :Production and Cost Part 3: Market Structure and Simple Pricing Strategies Part 4: Sophisticated Market Pricing Part 5: The Strategic World of Managers Part 6 : Government action and Managerial Behavioror
ACB-2305: Economeg i Reolwyr (10) (Semester 2)
- ASB-2320: Current Issues in Economics (20) (Semester 1 + 2)
- ASB-2400: Law for Business (20) (Semester 1 + 2)
- ASB-2406: Work Placement (10) (Semester 1 + 2) Preparatory tutorials; Compilation of a CV; Job application letter writing; Ten days at a placement provider's workplace. Debriefing session.or
ACB-2406: Lleoliad Gwaith (10) (Semester 1 + 2)Tiwtorialau paratoadol; Llunio CV; Ysgrifennu llythyrau i wneud cais am swyddi; Deg diwrnod yng ngweithle darparwr lleoliad;
- ASB-2414: Management: Planning & Control (20) (Semester 1 + 2) The two principal tasks are as follows: 1) A crisis management scenario, completed over the course of a two-day field trip. You will respond to a series of simulated events that unfold over the course of a match day. 2) Development of a proposal for an affinity product partnership, linking the football club's brand to the marketing of another product.
- ASB-2415: Personal Finance (10) (Semester 2) The lecture programme will outline the principle areas of content with specific skills honed within seminars. The lecture programme will be introduced through considering the importance of personal finance education, the need for financial literacy and how this relates to the student and graduate experience. Following this introduction areas of income, expenditure and taxation are considered. The module also provides consideration as to the form and use of different financial services encountered in life including debt, pensions, insurance, savings and investments, Lastly there is also discussion of how to financial customers make decisions in financial services markets and can be prey and mislead by current sales techniques employed by the financial services industry.or
ADB-2415: Cyllid Personol (10) (Semester 2)
- ASB-2416: Operations Strategy (10) (Semester 1) Operations Strategy is the highest level of Operations Management that deals with plans and decisions that shape the long-term capabilities of any organisation in the course of designing, producing and distributing products and services. Themes that will be explored in the module include: • Introduction to Operation Management • Competitiveness • Operations Strategy • Linking Operations Strategy to Competitiveness • Innovation, Design & Technology Strategy • Production Strategy & Lean • Total quality management • Logistics & Location strategies • Supply chain Strategy
- ASB-2507: Management Accounting 1 & 2 (20) (Semester 1 + 2) Costings, budgets and pricing; Target costing, life-cycling costings, back-flush accounting and throughput accounting; Linear programming with multiple scarce resources; Budgetary systems; Advanced standard costing; Performance measurement; Working capital management; Application of advanced management accounting techniques in organisations.
- ASB-2508: Corporate Gov'nce & Regulation (10) (Semester 2) What is a corporation? The development and the role of corporate governance systems and codes; The importance of ownership in corporate governance; The role of the board in corporate governance; The performance and remuneration of senior management; The role of the professions in corporate governance; Current International issues of corporate governance and regulation; Why regulate? Institutions of regulation; Forms of economic regulation.
- ASB-2511: Evolution of Mgmt Thought (10) (Semester 2) Introduction: academics, top executives, consultants and management gurus; The power of ideas to explain organizational change; The diffusion of management ideas (business education, management consultants, knowledge management within the firm); Great contributors to management thinking (e.g. o Scientific organization of work: Taylor o The role of directors and entrepreneurs: Fayol o Managers in organizations: Drucker); Management gurus and their contributions to management (Presentations); Conclusion: What lies ahead?
- ASB-2515: Financial Accounting 1 (10) (Semester 1)
- QXS modules are only for students whose first language is not English or Welsh.
- ASB-3101: Human Resource Management (10) History and development of the HR function; Strategic HRM; Human resourcing: recruitment and selection, human resource planning; Human Resource Development; Reward and performance management; Employee relations, employment law, industrial relations; The flexible firm; Globalisation and international HRM; HRM issues in practice.
- ASB-3104: Entrepreneurship Cap & Firm (10) Introduction to entrepreneurship; Evolution of the Concept of Entrepreneurship; Characteristics of the entrepreneur; Creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship; The role of entrepreneurs in the economy and society; Entrepreneurship in large firms; Types of entrepreneurship; Defining small businesses; Entrepreneurship in the future.or
ADB-3104: Entrepreneuriaeth Cyf & Cwmni (10)Cyflwyniad i entrepreneuriaeth; Esblygiad y cysyniad o entrepreneuriaeth; Nodweddion yr entrepreneur; Creadigrwydd, arloesi ac entrepreneuriaeth; Rôl entrepreneuriaid yn yr economi a chymdeithas; Entrepreneuriaeth mewn cwmnïau mawr; Mathau o entrepreneuriaeth; Diffinio busnesau bychain; Entrepreneuriaeth yn y dyfodol.
- ASB-3105: Business Planning (10) Introduction to new venture creation; Starting your own business; Family business; Buying a business; Franchising; Idea generation and screening for new venture opportunities; Writing a business plan.
- ASB-3109: Strategic Management (10) The concepts of strategic management; the vocabulary of strategy; prescriptive and emergent strategies; Strategy, the organisation and the environment; strategic capabilities; The core processes: strategic analysis; strategy formulation; strategic choices; Directions for strategy development, product and market development, diversification; Methods of strategy development, internal development, mergers and acquisitions, joint developments; Corporate-level versus business-level strategy, the corporate strategy and diversification; business strategies; Strategy in action: evaluating strategy, organising for success.
20 credits from:
- ASB-3008: Financial Technology (10) (Semester 2)
- ASB-3102: International Business (10) (Semester 1) Globalisation and international business; Challenges of operating in an international environment; Culture in the global environment; Role of governments in international business; Economic and behavioural explanations of international business; Range of transaction modes, export/import, joint venture, licensing and other cooperative modes, wholly-owned direct investment; Creating a Global Value Chain; Selecting countries and modes of entry; Challenges of implementing international business strategy.
- ASB-3103: Marketing Strategy & Man. (10) (Semester 1) Introduction and course organisation; Relationship Marketing; Entrepreneurial Marketing; Branding; Creating a Marketing Strategy; Marketing Audit and Tools 1 & 2; Formulating Marketing Strategies; Choosing a Case Study/Small Group Formation; Case study preparation and presentation.
- ASB-3107: The Marketing of Services (10) (Semester 2) Understanding and framing service experiences; Measuring Service Quality; Role of technology in service quality; Service setting and participants; Price/Value/Quality; Communication - more than promotions; Managing demand and customer confidence; Service delivery globally.
- ASB-3108: Customer Insight Project (10) (Semester 2) Issues in undertaking market research activities; Development and administration of fieldwork for quantitative customer survey; Analysis of quantitative survey data; Reporting and presentation of strategic recommendations.
- ASB-3112: Advertising Strategy (10) (Semester 1) Theoretical advertising models; The advertising management process: messages, media and measurement of advertising effectiveness; Advertising campaign development, with emphasis on planning and analysing advertising media; Internet advertising, mobile and ambient media; Branding and globalisation of advertising; Promotion management, marketing-oriented public relations, sponserships and trade promotions.or
ADB-3112: Strategaeth Hysbysebu (10) (Semester 1)Modelau hysbysebu damcaniaethol; Y broses o reoli hysbysebu: negeseuon, y cyfryngau a mesur effeithiolrwydd hysbysebu; Datblygu ymgyrch hysbysebu, gyda phwyslais ar gynllunio a dadansoddi cyfryngau hysbysebu; Hysbysebu ar y rhyngrwyd, cyfryngau symudol ac amgylchol; Brandio a globaleiddio hysbysebu; Rheoli hyrwyddo, cysylltiadau cyhoeddus gyda phwyslais ar farchnata, noddi a hyrwyddo masnach
- ASB-3114: e-Marketing (10) (Semester 1) Defining the field: Introduction to the module and e-marketing as a strategic tool; E-marketing strategy and the e-marketing environment; Social media marketing; The e-marketing mix; The consumers perspective; The marketers perspective; Online retailing; Mobile marketing.
- ASB-3117: Globaliz'tn & Multin'tl Corp'n (10) (Semester 2) Globalisation and its discontent; Engines of growth; Business and the state; Big Business; The Chandlerian firm; Business groups, mutuals and co-operatives; Technology and the digital economy; Business and business schools; Excellent firms - a longitudinal analysis (Presentations).
- CCB-3202: Ymdrin â'ch Pwnc yn Gymraeg (10) (Semester 1) Edrychir yn fanwl ar gyweiriau iaith ac egwyddorion Cymraeg Clir a cheir cyfle i arbrofi ag ysgrifennu darnau gwahanol yng nghyd-destun amrywiol feysydd academaidd ar gyfer gwahanol gynulleidfaeodd. Rhoir arweiniad ar sut i ymgyfarwyddo â thermau penodol gwahanol bynciau. Ceir cyfle i ymarfer sgiliau a fydd o ddefnydd i'r myfyrwyr wrth ddilyn eu cyrsiau trwy gyfrwng y Gymraeg e.e. ysgrifennu nodiadau cydlynnus, crynhoi, trawsieithu a chyfieithu deunydd a defnyddir yn eu meysydd cwricwlaidd. Rhan bwysig o'r modiwl yw'r gwaith paratoi tuag at y cyflwyniad llafar (40% o'r marc terfynol) lle ceir cyfle i gyflwyno elfen benodol ar eu maes academaidd o flaen cynulleidfa o ddarlithwyr a chyd-fyfyrwyr.
- ASB-3204: Corporate Risk Management (10) (Semester 1) The nature of risk management; Risk identification; The firm's loss exposure; Risk measurement and probability distributions; Risk control tools; Risk financing; Insurance and the alternatives; Legal aspects of insurance and insurance contracts; Dealing with insurers.
- ASB-3217: Investment (10) (Semester 1)
- ASB-3320: Current Issues in Economics (20) (Semester 1 + 2)
- ASB-3400: Law for Business (20) (Semester 1 + 2)
- ASB-3412: Dissertation (20) (Semester 1 + 2) There is no set syllabus. The subject matter can be drawn from any area of accounting, banking, economics, finance, business studies, management or marketing, provided that there is suitable and sufficient reading material available, and a member of staff is available to supervise in the chosen area of study. You should choose your topic in consultation with the module organiser and other members of staff at the start of the academic year.or
ACB-3412: Traethawd (20) (Semester 1 + 2)Nid oes maes llafur penodedig. Gall y testun ddod o unrhyw faes astudiaethau busnes, rheolaeth neu farchnata, ar yr amod bod deunydd darllen addas a digonol ar gael a bod aelod staff ar gael i oruchwylio'r maes astudio a ddewiswyd. Dylech ddewis eich testun mewn ymgynghoriad â threfnydd y modiwl ac aelodau staff eraill ar ddechrau'r flwyddyn academaidd.
- ASB-3500: Britain and the EU (10) (Semester 1) Elements of a governmental system; Relationship between the legislature, executive and judiciary, constituions and the rule of law; The British state and its institutions, the executive, the prime minister and monarch; The nation state and the EU; Sovereignty, legitimacy, subsidiarity and multi-level governance; History and evolution of the EU; Consultative and legislative processes of the EU; The EU as an experimental, evolving and unique model of multi-level governance.
- ASB-3501: Comparative Public Admin (10) (Semester 2) Introduction and overview: public administration and the comparative approach; Culture and history of public administration; The politics and bureaucracy: issues of accountability and control; Central, regional and local government; Asymmetric power in the UK; The consensus state in the Netherlands; Administrative complexity in Italy; Governance: patterns of intergovernmentalism and decentralisation; Democratic innovation: challenges of participation and collaboration; Public administration reform, comparison, and non-western societies.
- ASB-3509: Corp. Social Responsibility (10) (Semester 2) This module involves a visit to an organisation, during which emphasis will be placed upon its CSR strategies. An opportunity will also be available to relate CSR theory to its practical applications.
- ASB-3513: Advanced Consumer Psychology (10) (Semester 2) Module content will reflect current thinking on a number of specialist topics within consumer behaviour literature. Below gives an indication of the topics that may be covered. These topics are discrete in nature and therefore are not therefore linked. Introduction and moving beyond ASB2107: How have we got here? Attitude and Attitude Strength Emotions and Consumer Behaviour Personal and Social Identity Goals and Self-Regulation The dark side of consumption Consumers and Brands Hot topics presentations Social and Media Influences and Consumer Behaviour
- Students may choose any BBS year 3 module not listed as compulsory for your degree programme, subject to pre-requisites.