The Marketing of Services
Run by Bangor Business School
10.000 Credits or 5.000 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Mr Stephen Jones
Overall aims and purpose
To provide an understanding of the unique characteristics of services, including intangibility, inseparability, perishability, and variability. To develop skills of practical application when formulating effective marketing strategies for a variety of service activities.
Topics may include but not be limited to: understanding and framing service experiences; measuring Service Quality; the role of technology in service quality; the contribution of service setting and participants; Price/Value/Quality in service creation & delivery; communication - more than promotions; managing demand and customer confidence; delivering Service delivery globally.
D- to D+ (40-49%): No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.
A- to A* (70+%): Outstanding performance. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
B- to B+ (60-69%): Very good performance. Most of the relevant information accurately deployed. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
C- to C+
C- to C+ (50-59%): Much of the relevant information and skills mostly accurately deployed. Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Design effective service delivery strategies.
Analyse service situations.
Integrate marketing of services with other functions of management.
Teaching and Learning Strategy
Students will be expected to engage in research & essential reading.
There will be 2 tutorials in which students will complete in-depth analysis of a particular service situation.
2 hour lecture weekly.
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Management - Able to utilise, coordinate and control resources (human, physical and/or financial)
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Subject specific skills
- People management: to include communications, team building, leadership and motivating others.
- Problem solving and critical analysis: analysing facts and circumstances to determine the cause of a problem and identifying and selecting appropriate solutions.
- Research: the ability to analyse and evaluate a range of business data, sources of information and appropriate methodologies, which includes the need for strong digital literacy, and to use that research for evidence-based decision-making.
- Commercial acumen: based on an awareness of the key drivers for business success, causes of failure and the importance of providing customer satisfaction and building customer loyalty.
- Innovation, creativity and enterprise: the ability to act entrepreneurially to generate, develop and communicate ideas, manage and exploit intellectual property, gain support, and deliver successful outcomes.
- Networking: an awareness of the interpersonal skills of effective listening, negotiating, persuasion and presentation and their use in generating business contacts.
- Ability to work collaboratively both internally and with external customers and an awareness of mutual interdependence.
- Ability to work with people from a range of cultures.
- Articulating and effectively explaining information.
- Building and maintaining relationships.
- Communication and listening including the ability to produce clear, structured business communications in a variety of media.
- Emotional intelligence and empathy.
- Conceptual and critical thinking, analysis, synthesis and evaluation.
- Self-management: a readiness to accept responsibility and flexibility, to be resilient, self-starting and appropriately assertive, to plan, organise and manage time.
Fisk R.P., Grove S.J. & John J. (2014) “Services Marketing an interactive approach”, Houghton Mifflin 4th ed
Wortz J., & Lovelock C. (2016) “Services Marketing: People, Technology, Strategy”, 8th Ed, World Scientific Publishing Company, ISBN-13: 978-1944659011
Wilson A, et al (2016 “Services Marketing: Integrating Customer Focus Across the Firm”, 3rd ed, McGraw-Hill Education, ISBN-13: 978-0077169312
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- R1N1: BA French with Marketing year 2 (BA/FRMKT)
- R2N1: BA German with Marketing year 2 (BA/GERMKT)
- R4N5: BA Spanish with Marketing year 2 (BA/SPMKT)
- N503: BSc Marketing (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICMRK)
- N2N5: BSc Business Management and Marketing year 2 (BSC/BMM)
- N2NC: BSc Business Man & Marketing (4 yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BSC/BMM1)
- NNM1: BSc Business Studies & Marketing with Intl Experience year 2 (BSC/BSMIE)
- NN1M: BSc Business Studies and Marketing year 2 (BSC/BSMKT)
- NN1K: BSc Business Studies & Marketing (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/BSMKT1)
- N501: BSc Marketing year 2 (BSC/MKT)
- N50B: BSc Marketing (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/MKT1)
- N50F: BSc Marketing year 2 (BSC/MKTF)
Optional in courses:
- N2T1: BA Business Management and Chinese year 2 (BA/BMCH)
- N2R1: BA Business Management and French year 2 (BA/BMFR)
- N2R2: BA Business Management and German year 2 (BA/BMG)
- N2R3: BA Business Management and Italian year 2 (BA/BMI)
- N2M1: BA Business Management and Law year 2 (BA/BML)
- N2R4: BA Business Management and Spanish year 2 (BA/BMS)
- N1R1: BA Bus Stud with French year 2 (BA/BSFR)
- N1R2: BA Business Studies with German year 2 (BA/BSGER)
- N1R3: BA Business Studies with Italian year 2 (BA/BSIT)
- 8N60: BA Business Studies and Marketing (with International Exp) year 2 (BA/BSMIE)
- N1R4: BA Business Studies with Spanish year 2 (BA/BSSP)
- N107: BA Business year 2 (BA/BUS)
- N1T1: BA Business Studies and Chinese year 2 (BA/BUSCH)
- N100: BA Business Studies year 2 (BA/BUSS)
- NR1C: BA Business Studies/French year 2 (BA/BUSSF)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 2 (BA/BUSSG)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 2 (BA/BUSSI)
- N102: BA Business Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/BUSSIE)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 2 (BA/BUSSS)
- N5R3: BA Marketing with Italian year 2 (BA/MKITAL)
- N5R1: BA Marketing with French year 2 (BA/MKTFR)
- NR51: BA Marketing and French (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTFR#)
- N5R2: BA Marketing with German year 2 (BA/MKTGER)
- NR52: BA Marketing and German (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTGER4)
- NR53: BA Marketing and Italian (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTITAL)
- NR54: BA Marketing and Spanish (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTSP)
- N5R4: BA Marketing with Spanish year 2 (BA/MKTSP#)
- N109: BSc Bus Analytics w Financial Tech year 2 (BSC/BAFT)
- N201: BSc Business Management (Bangor Uni International College) year 2 (BSC/BICBM)
- N105: BSc Business Studies (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICBS)
- N106: BSc Business Stud & Finance (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICBSF)
- NN24: BSc Management with Account (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICMNA)
- N200: BSc Business Management year 2 (BSC/BM)
- N20B: BSc Business Management (4 year with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BSC/BM1)
- N2ND: BSc Business Management with Accounting year 2 (BSC/BMA)
- N3NF: BSc Business Management with Accounting year 2 (BSC/BMAF)
- N2NP: BSc Business Management with Accounting with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/BMAP)
- NN23: BSc Business Management and Finance year 2 (BSC/BMF)
- NN2B: BSc Business Man & Finance (4 year with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BSC/BMF1)
- NN2F: BSc Business Management and Finance year 2 (BSC/BMFINF)
- NN2P: Business Management and Finance with Placement Year year (BSC/BMFP)
- N101: BSc Business Studies year 2 (BSC/BS)
- N10B: BSc Business Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/BS1)
- NN1H: BSc Business Studies and Finance year 2 (BSC/BSFIN)
- NN1J: BSc Business Studies and Finance (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/BSFIN1)
- IN00: BSc Computer Information Systems for Business year 2 (BSC/CISB)
- IN0B: BSc Computer Information Sys for Bus (4 year w Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/CISB1)
- IN02: BSc Computer Information Systems for Business (Franchised) year 2 (BSC/CISBF)
- N5C8: BSc Marketing with Psychology year 2 (BSC/MP)
- N2NK: BSc Management with Accounting year 2 (BSC/MWACC)
- N2NL: BSc Management with Accounting (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/MWACC1)
- C6N1: BSc Sport Science & Business Management year 2 (BSC/SSB)
- C6N5: BSc Sport Science & Marketing year 2 (BSC/SSM)
- CN5P: Sport Science and Marketing with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/SSMP)