Run by Bangor Business School
10 Credits or 5 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Prof Edward Shiu
Overall aims and purpose
To provide an introduction to marketing research and the techniques involved, as a means of enhancing marketing decisions by providing relevant, timely and accurate information. The focus is on approaches to gathering data for qualitative and quantitative analyses. Specific quantitative data analysis skills based on SPSS will be developed.
The role of marketing research; Defining a research problem, research question and objectives; Questionnaire design, measurement and scaling; Sampling; Quantitative analysis and the use of SPSS; Secondary data and use of databases; Qualitative methods including interviews, focus groups and observation; Qualitative analysis; Writing a research report; Causal research and an introduction to experiments. Big data.
(D- to D+) No major omissions or inaccuracies in the development of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.
(B- to B+) Much of the relevant information and skills mostly accurately deployed. Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
(A- to A*) An outstanding performance, exceptionally able. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
C- to C+
(C- to C+) Many of the relevant information and skills mainly accurately deployed. Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Some weakness in the integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Little evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Recognise and demonstrate the importance of information and research in marketing decisions, and the stages involved in the marketing research process.
Recognise and demonstrate the usefulness of different marketing research concepts and techniques, as well as the distinctions between exploratory, descriptive and causal research.
Recognise and demonstrate an understanding of sampling theory and concepts, as well as the merits of alternative techniques of sampling.
Recognise and demonstrate an understanding of the use of SPSS and associated statistical techniques in tackling basic marketing research problems.
Recognise and demonstrate an understanding of the role of primary and secondary data, and the different types of qualitative and quantitative data collection methods for the marketing research purpose.
|COMPREHENSION TEST||MCQ Test S2 1 hr||40|
A marketing research project intended to extract customer insights on a specified consumer (product or service) market.
Teaching and Learning Strategy
2-hour lab session per week over 3 weeks: laboratory based SPSS data analysis tutorials
2-hour lecture per week over 7 weeks.
Reading core texts and highlighted lecture-based reading materials. Preparations, development and writing report. Preparation for final exam.
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Numeracy - Proficiency in using numbers at appropriate levels of accuracy
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Management - Able to utilise, coordinate and control resources (human, physical and/or financial)
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Subject specific skills
- Problem solving and critical analysis: analysing facts and circumstances to determine the cause of a problem and identifying and selecting appropriate solutions.
- Research: the ability to analyse and evaluate a range of business data, sources of information and appropriate methodologies, which includes the need for strong digital literacy, and to use that research for evidence-based decision-making.
- Commercial acumen: based on an awareness of the key drivers for business success, causes of failure and the importance of providing customer satisfaction and building customer loyalty.
- Numeracy: the use of quantitative skills to manipulate data, evaluate, estimate and model business problems, functions and phenomena.
- Articulating and effectively explaining information.
- Conceptual and critical thinking, analysis, synthesis and evaluation.
- Self-management: a readiness to accept responsibility and flexibility, to be resilient, self-starting and appropriately assertive, to plan, organise and manage time.
Talis Reading listhttp://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/asb-2109.html
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- N1R1: BA Bus Stud with French year 2 (BA/BSFR)
- N1R2: BA Business Studies with German year 2 (BA/BSGER)
- N1R3: BA Business Studies with Italian year 2 (BA/BSIT)
- NN15: BA Business Studies and Marketing year 2 (BA/BSM)
- 8N60: BA Business Studies and Marketing (with International Exp) year 2 (BA/BSMIE)
- N1R4: BA Business Studies with Spanish year 2 (BA/BSSP)
- R1N1: BA French with Marketing year 2 (BA/FRMKT)
- R2N1: BA German with Marketing year 2 (BA/GERMKT)
- N500: BA Marketing year 2 (BA/MK)
- NR51: BA Marketing and French (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTFR#)
- NR52: BA Marketing and German (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTGER4)
- NR53: BA Marketing and Italian (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTITAL)
- NR54: BA Marketing and Spanish (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTSP)
- R4N5: BA Spanish with Marketing year 2 (BA/SPMKT)
- N503: BSc Marketing (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICMRK)
- NNM1: BSc Business Studies & Marketing with Intl Experience year 2 (BSC/BSMIE)
- NN1M: BSc Business Studies and Marketing year 2 (BSC/BSMKT)
- NN1K: BSc Business Studies & Marketing (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/BSMKT1)
- IN00: BSc Computer Information Systems for Business year 2 (BSC/CISB)
- IN0B: BSc Computer Information Sys for Bus (4 year w Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/CISB1)
- N501: BSc Marketing year 2 (BSC/MKT)
- N50B: BSc Marketing (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/MKT1)
Optional in courses:
- NM11: BA Business and Law year 2 (BA/BUSALAW)
- N1T1: BA Business Studies and Chinese year 2 (BA/BUSCH)
- NM1B: BA Business and Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/BUSLAW1)
- NR1C: BA Business Studies/French year 2 (BA/BUSSF)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 2 (BA/BUSSG)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 2 (BA/BUSSI)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 2 (BA/BUSSS)
- N2N4: BA Management with Accounting year 2 (BA/MAF)
- N5R3: BA Marketing with Italian year 2 (BA/MKITAL)
- N5R1: BA Marketing with French year 2 (BA/MKTFR)
- N5R2: BA Marketing with German year 2 (BA/MKTGER)
- N5R4: BA Marketing with Spanish year 2 (BA/MKTSP#)
- N105: BSc Business Studies (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICBS)
- N106: BSc Business Stud & Finance (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICBSF)
- NN24: BSc Management with Account (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICMNA)
- N101: BSc Business Studies year 2 (BSC/BS)
- N10B: BSc Business Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/BS1)
- NN1H: BSc Business Studies and Finance year 2 (BSC/BSFIN)
- NN1J: BSc Business Studies and Finance (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/BSFIN1)
- GN41: BSC Computer Science for Business year 2 (BSC/CSFB)
- GN4B: BSc Computer Science for Business (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/CSFB1)
- N2NK: BSc Management with Accounting year 2 (BSC/MWACC)
- N2NL: BSc Management with Accounting (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/MWACC1)
- C6N1: BSc Sport Science & Business Manage (Subject to Validation) year 2 (BSC/SSB)