Run by Bangor Business School
10 Credits or 5 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Dr Sara Parry
Overall aims and purpose
NOTE: This module is available to students on BA/BSc Business Studies and Marketing and BA/BSc Marketing only. This module is available through the medium of Welsh (ACB-2113).
AIMS: To examine the processes by which an integrated marketing communications program is planned, developed and executed. To examine the various tools which marketers use in order to communicate their messages to their audiences and to consider the social and economic factors that affect an organisation’s integrated marketing communications program.
• Integrated marketing communication; • Application of contemporary communication theories; • Marketing communications strategies and planning; • Advertising and media planning; • Sales promotion and online marketing communication; • Public relations and exhibitions; • Branding and sponsorship; • Point of purchase communications and personal selling; • Implementation and evaluation of integrated marketing communications strategy.
Satisfactory standard: No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work’s objectives.
Average Standard: Much of the relevant information and skills mostly accurately deployed. Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
High Standard: Very good performance Most of the relevant information accurately deployed. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Excellent standard: An outstanding performance, exceptionally able. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Understand the theories and principles underlying marketing communication practice.
Understand and apply the tools and techniques used by marketers in developing marketing communications.
Develop a creative integrated marketing communication plan.
Developing an IMC campaign
|REPORT||Exam S1 2hrs||
Developing an IMC campaign
Teaching and Learning Strategy
Two 1-hour lectures per week.
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
- Management - Able to utilise, coordinate and control resources (human, physical and/or financial)
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
- Leadership - Able to lead and manage, develop action plans and objectives, offer guidance and direction to others, and cope with the related pressures such authority can result in
Subject specific skills
- Problem solving and critical analysis: analysing facts and circumstances to determine the cause of a problem and identifying and selecting appropriate solutions.
- Research: the ability to analyse and evaluate a range of business data, sources of information and appropriate methodologies, which includes the need for strong digital literacy, and to use that research for evidence-based decision-making.
- Commercial acumen: based on an awareness of the key drivers for business success, causes of failure and the importance of providing customer satisfaction and building customer loyalty.
- Innovation, creativity and enterprise: the ability to act entrepreneurially to generate, develop and communicate ideas, manage and exploit intellectual property, gain support, and deliver successful outcomes.
- Ability to work collaboratively both internally and with external customers and an awareness of mutual interdependence.
- Ability to work with people from a range of cultures.
- Articulating and effectively explaining information.
- Communication and listening including the ability to produce clear, structured business communications in a variety of media.
- Emotional intelligence and empathy.
- Conceptual and critical thinking, analysis, synthesis and evaluation.
- Self-management: a readiness to accept responsibility and flexibility, to be resilient, self-starting and appropriately assertive, to plan, organise and manage time.
- Self reflection: self-analysis and an awareness/sensitivity to diversity in terms of people and cultures. This includes a continuing appetite for development.
Talis Reading listhttp://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/asb-2113.html
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- NN15: BA Business Studies and Marketing year 2 (BA/BSM)
- 8N60: BA Business Studies and Marketing (with International Exp) year 2 (BA/BSMIE)
- N500: BA Marketing year 2 (BA/MK)
- N5R3: BA Marketing with Italian year 2 (BA/MKITAL)
- N5R1: BA Marketing with French year 2 (BA/MKTFR)
- NR51: BA Marketing and French (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTFR#)
- N5R2: BA Marketing with German year 2 (BA/MKTGER)
- NR52: BA Marketing and German (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTGER4)
- NR53: BA Marketing and Italian (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTITAL)
- NR54: BA Marketing and Spanish (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTSP)
- N5R4: BA Marketing with Spanish year 2 (BA/MKTSP#)
- N503: BSc Marketing (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICMRK)
- NNM1: BSc Business Studies & Marketing with Intl Experience year 2 (BSC/BSMIE)
- NN1M: BSc Business Studies and Marketing year 2 (BSC/BSMKT)
- NN1K: BSc Business Studies & Marketing (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/BSMKT1)
- N501: BSc Marketing year 2 (BSC/MKT)
- N50B: BSc Marketing (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/MKT1)
Optional in courses:
- NQ26: BA Astudiaethau Busnes a Chymraeg year 2 (BA/ABCH)
- N1R1: BA Bus Stud with French year 2 (BA/BSFR)
- N1R2: BA Business Studies with German year 2 (BA/BSGER)
- N1R3: BA Business Studies with Italian year 2 (BA/BSIT)
- N1R4: BA Business Studies with Spanish year 2 (BA/BSSP)
- NM11: BA Business and Law year 2 (BA/BUSALAW)
- N1T1: BA Business Studies and Chinese year 2 (BA/BUSCH)
- NM1B: BA Business and Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/BUSLAW1)
- NR1C: BA Business Studies/French year 2 (BA/BUSSF)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 2 (BA/BUSSG)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 2 (BA/BUSSI)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 2 (BA/BUSSS)
- R1NC: BA French with Business Studies year 2 (BA/FBS)
- R2NC: BA German with Business Studies year 2 (BA/GBS)
- N2N4: BA Management with Accounting year 2 (BA/MAF)
- R4N1: BA Spanish with Business Studies year 2 (BA/SPBS)
- L190: BSc Business Economics year 2 (BSC/BEC)
- L19B: BSc Business Economics (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/BEC1)
- L191: BSc Business Economics with International Experience year 2 (BSC/BECIE)
- L192: BSc Business Economics (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICBE)
- N106: BSc Business Stud & Finance (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICBSF)
- NN24: BSc Management with Account (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICMNA)
- NN1H: BSc Business Studies and Finance year 2 (BSC/BSFIN)
- NN1J: BSc Business Studies and Finance (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/BSFIN1)
- N2NK: BSc Management with Accounting year 2 (BSC/MWACC)
- N2NL: BSc Management with Accounting (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/MWACC1)
- M1N1: LLB Law with Business Studies year 2 (LLB/LBS)
- MN1B: LLB Law with Business (4year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (LLB/LBS1)