Management: Planning & Control
Run by Bangor Business School
20 Credits or 10 ECTS Credits
Semester 1 & 2
Organiser: Mr John Goddard
Overall aims and purpose
NOTE: This module was previously title Professional Sports Management. You will be required to make a financial contribution to the cost of travel, accommodation and subsistence for the field trip. The number of registrations for this module is limited. AIMS: To develop practical and co-ordinating skills needed by managers, including working in groups, time management, organising and conducting meetings and other forms of communication, co-ordinating management functions and tasks.
The two principal tasks are as follows: 1) A crisis management scenario, completed over the course of a two-day field trip. You will respond to a series of simulated events that unfold over the course of a match day. 2) Development of a proposal for an affinity product partnership, linking the football club's brand to the marketing of another product.
thresholdNo fundamental omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Functional verbal and written communication ability with limited powers of persusaion. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of management and marketing theory/practice/information present intermittently.
goodMost of the relevant information and skills accurately deployed. Effective and moderately persuasive verbal and written communication ability. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of management and marketing theory/practice/information.
excellentAll of the relevant information and skills accurately deployed. Effective and highly persuasive verbal and written communication ability. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Excellent integration of management and marketing theory/practice/information.
- Demonstrate teamwork and presentational skills in a realistic environment under time pressure, and communicate and interact with non-academic professionals.
- Understand the issues involved in solving complex problems facing organisations.
- Participate in the management process in a real world situation, and demonstrate experience of functional areas such as customer and media relations.
- Apply theories and techniques covered in other 1st- and 2nd-year modules, facilitating integration of studies across a range of functional areas of management.
|Group Presentation 1||30|
|Group Presentation 2||20|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
|Lectures for introductory briefing and scene-setting (prior to field trip).|
|Field trip (2 days + travel = 3 days total).|
|Further lectures for review of progress towards group presentations and completion of written reports following the field trip.|
Courses including this module
Optional in courses:
- NQ26: BA Astudiaethau Busnes a Chymraeg year 2 (BA/ABCH)
- N1R1: BA Bus Stud with French year 2 (BA/BSFR)
- N1R2: BA Business Studies with German year 2 (BA/BSGER)
- N1R3: BA Business Studies with Italian year 2 (BA/BSIT)
- NN15: BA Business Studies and Marketing year 2 (BA/BSM)
- N1R4: BA Business Studies with Spanish year 2 (BA/BSSP)
- NM11: BA Business and Law year 2 (BA/BUSALAW)
- N1T1: BA Business Studies and Chinese year 2 (BA/BUSCH)
- NM1B: BA Business and Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/BUSLAW1)
- N100: BA Business Studies year 2 (BA/BUSS)
- NR1C: BA Business Studies/French year 2 (BA/BUSSF)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 2 (BA/BUSSG)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 2 (BA/BUSSI)
- N102: BA Business Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/BUSSIE)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 2 (BA/BUSSS)
- N2N4: BA Management with Accounting year 2 (BA/MAF)
- N500: BA Marketing year 2 (BA/MK)
- N5R3: BA Marketing with Italian year 2 (BA/MKITAL)
- N5R1: BA Marketing with French year 2 (BA/MKTFR)
- NR51: BA Marketing and French (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTFR#)
- N5R2: BA Marketing with German year 2 (BA/MKTGER)
- NR52: BA Marketing and German (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTGER4)
- NR53: BA Marketing and Italian (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTITAL)
- NR54: BA Marketing and Spanish (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTSP)
- N5R4: BA Marketing with Spanish year 2 (BA/MKTSP#)
- L190: BSc Business Economics year 2 (BSC/BEC)
- L191: BSc Business Economics with International Experience year 2 (BSC/BECIE)
- N101: BSc Business Studies year 2 (BSC/BS)
- NN1H: BSc Business Studies and Finance year 2 (BSC/BSFIN)
- NNM1: BSc Business Studies & Marketing with Intl Experience year 2 (BSC/BSMIE)
- NN1M: BSc Business Studies and Marketing year 2 (BSC/BSMKT)
- N501: BSc Marketing year 2 (BSC/MKT)
- N2NK: BSc Management with Accounting year 2 (BSC/MWACC)