Evolution of Mgmt Thought
Run by Bangor Business School
10 Credits or 5 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Prof Bernardo Batiz-Lazo
Overall aims and purpose
To describe and assess the emergence and evolution of the main theories and contributors to management thought. Topics include the people and institutions which create and disseminate this knowledge.
Introduction: academics, top executives, consultants and management gurus; The power of ideas to explain organizational change; The diffusion of management ideas (business education, management consultants, knowledge management within the firm); Great contributors to management thinking (e.g. o Scientific organization of work: Taylor o The role of directors and entrepreneurs: Fayol o Managers in organizations: Drucker); Management gurus and their contributions to management (Presentations); Conclusion: What lies ahead?
Satisfactory standard: 40-49 No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.
Average Standard: 50-59 Much of the relevant information and skills mostly accurately deployed. Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
High Standard: 60-69 Very good performance Most of the relevant information accurately deployed. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Excellent standard: 70+ An outstanding performance, exceptionally able. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Recognize the main elements and features of key contributors to conceptualizing management, managers and organizations.
Demonstrate an awareness of the contexts which have given rise to different views on organizing and managing.
Recognise the large number of cultural, political, economic and environmental factors that gave rise to different concepts of the structure of organisations, its implications for managing work and employee behaviour.
Identify the main spaces where these theories, views and framework emerged.
Identify the various dimensions of management thought.
Outline how management thinking in the past influences current views in management and is potentially likely to influence it in the near future.
|Final Exam S2 2hrs||40|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
One 2-hour lecture per week.
One 1-hour practical session involving the discussion of teaching case studies in weeks 4 and 9. Students will be split into two groups, with each group attending a one-hour tutorial in both weeks.
Talis Reading listhttp://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/asb-2511.html
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- N100: BA Business Studies year 2 (BA/BUSS)
- N102: BA Business Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/BUSSIE)
- N101: BSc Business Studies year 2 (BSC/BS)
Optional in courses:
- NN45: BA Accounting and Banking year 2 (BA/AB)
- NQ26: BA Astudiaethau Busnes a Chymraeg year 2 (BA/ABCH)
- NN36: BA Accounting and Banking with International Experience year 2 (BA/ABIE)
- N400: BA Accounting and Finance year 2 (BA/AF)
- N401: BA Accounting & Finance (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/AFIE)
- NR43: BA Accounting/Italian year 2 (BA/AIT)
- NR44: BA Accounting/Spanish year 2 (BA/ASP)
- NG10: BA Business and Computer Information Systems year 2 (BA/BCIS)
- N322: BA Banking and Finance year 2 (BA/BIF)
- NR33: BA Banking/Italian year 2 (BA/BIT)
- NN13: BA Business Studies and Finance year 2 (BA/BSF)
- NN14: BA Business Stud & Finance (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/BSFIE)
- N1R1: BA Bus Stud with French year 2 (BA/BSFR)
- N1R2: BA Business Studies with German year 2 (BA/BSGER)
- N1R3: BA Business Studies with Italian year 2 (BA/BSIT)
- NN15: BA Business Studies and Marketing year 2 (BA/BSM)
- NR34: BA Banking/Spanish year 2 (BA/BSP)
- N1R4: BA Business Studies with Spanish year 2 (BA/BSSP)
- NM11: BA Business and Law year 2 (BA/BUSALAW)
- N1T1: BA Business Studies and Chinese year 2 (BA/BUSCH)
- NR1C: BA Business Studies/French year 2 (BA/BUSSF)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 2 (BA/BUSSG)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 2 (BA/BUSSI)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 2 (BA/BUSSS)
- LN14: BA Economics/Accounting year 2 (BA/ECA)
- LN15: BA Accounting & Economics (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/ECAIE)
- R1NC: BA French with Business Studies year 2 (BA/FBS)
- NR41: BA French/Accounting year 2 (BA/FRA)
- NR31: BA French/Banking year 2 (BA/FRB)
- NR42: BA German/Accounting year 2 (BA/GA)
- NR32: BA German/Banking year 2 (BA/GB)
- R2NC: BA German with Business Studies year 2 (BA/GBS)
- N2N4: BA Management with Accounting year 2 (BA/MAF)
- N500: BA Marketing year 2 (BA/MK)
- N5R3: BA Marketing with Italian year 2 (BA/MKITAL)
- N5R1: BA Marketing with French year 2 (BA/MKTFR)
- NR51: BA Marketing and French (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTFR#)
- N5R2: BA Marketing with German year 2 (BA/MKTGER)
- NR52: BA Marketing and German (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTGER4)
- NR53: BA Marketing and Italian (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTITAL)
- NR54: BA Marketing and Spanish (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTSP)
- N5R4: BA Marketing with Spanish year 2 (BA/MKTSP#)
- R4N1: BA Spanish with Business Studies year 2 (BA/SPBS)
- NL41: BSc Accounting and Economics year 2 (BSC/ACCEC)
- NN4H: BSc Accounting and Finance year 2 (BSC/ACCFIN)
- N402: BSc Accounting & Finance (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/ACCFINIE)
- NL42: BSc Accounting and Economics with International Experience year 2 (BSC/AEIE)
- L190: BSc Business Economics year 2 (BSC/BEC)
- N391: BSc Banking and Finance year 2 (BSC/BFIN)
- NN1H: BSc Business Studies and Finance year 2 (BSC/BSFIN)
- NNM1: BSc Business Studies & Marketing with Intl Experience year 2 (BSC/BSMIE)
- NN1M: BSc Business Studies and Marketing year 2 (BSC/BSMKT)
- L111: BSc Financial Economics year 2 (BSC/FINEC)
- N501: BSc Marketing year 2 (BSC/MKT)
- N2NK: BSc Management with Accounting year 2 (BSC/MWACC)
- M1N1: LLB Law with Business Studies year 2 (LLB/LBS)