Globaliz'tn & Multin'tl Corp'n
Run by Bangor Business School
10 Credits or 5 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Prof Bernardo Batiz-Lazo
Overall aims and purpose
To describe and assess the emergence and evolution of the modern day multinational, multidivisional business enterprise (MNC) in Britain in the context of globalisation, its relation with the state and its interaction with other organisational forms (namely family firms and mutuals). An important part of the course will involve examining and reflecting upon mutiple points of view regarding diverse topics.
Globalisation and its discontent; Engines of growth; Business and the state; Big Business; The Chandlerian firm; Business groups, mutuals and co-operatives; Technology and the digital economy; Business and business schools; Excellent firms - a longitudinal analysis (Presentations).
Satisfactory standard: 40-40% No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills; Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements; Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.
Average standard: 50-59% Much of the relevant informaiton and skills mostly accurately deployed; Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements; Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives; Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
High standard: 60-69% Very good performance; Most of the relevant information accurately deployed; Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements; Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Excellent Standard 70+ An outstanding performance, exceptionally able; The relevant information accurately deployed; Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements; Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives; Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Ascertain the process of globalization from the perspective of the enterprise.
Recognise the large number of cultural, political, social and economic factors relevant to explaining how business organisations have evolved.
Apply concepts, theories, tools and frameworks of business history to other studies within management.
Know significant facts, events and developments relevant to business and managers who work in an international setting.
Understand the complexity that is involved in longitudinal studies of business organisations.
Outline (300 words), Draft (900 words) and Final essay (900 words)
Teaching and Learning Strategy
One 2-hour lecture every week.
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Numeracy - Proficiency in using numbers at appropriate levels of accuracy
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Safety-Consciousness - Having an awareness of your immediate environment, and confidence in adhering to health and safety regulations
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Management - Able to utilise, coordinate and control resources (human, physical and/or financial)
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Talis Reading listhttp://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/asb-3117.html
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- N100: BA Business Studies year 3 (BA/BUSS)
- N102: BA Business Studies (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/BUSSIE)
- N105: BSc Business Studies (Bangor International College) year 3 (BSC/BICBS)
- N101: BSc Business Studies year 3 (BSC/BS)
- N10B: BSc Business Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BSC/BS1)
Optional in courses:
- NQ26: BA Astudiaethau Busnes a Chymraeg year 3 (BA/ABCH)
- NG10: BA Business and Computer Information Systems year 3 (BA/BCIS)
- NN13: BA Business Studies and Finance year 3 (BA/BSF)
- NN14: BA Business Stud & Finance (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/BSFIE)
- N1R1: BA Bus Stud with French year 3 (BA/BSFR)
- N1R2: BA Business Studies with German year 3 (BA/BSGER)
- N1R3: BA Business Studies with Italian year 3 (BA/BSIT)
- NN15: BA Business Studies and Marketing year 3 (BA/BSM)
- 8N60: BA Business Studies and Marketing (with International Exp) year 4 (BA/BSMIE)
- N1R4: BA Business Studies with Spanish year 3 (BA/BSSP)
- NM11: BA Business and Law year 3 (BA/BUSALAW)
- N1T1: BA Business Studies and Chinese year 4 (BA/BUSCH)
- NR1C: BA Business Studies/French year 4 (BA/BUSSF)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 4 (BA/BUSSG)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 4 (BA/BUSSI)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 4 (BA/BUSSS)
- R1NC: BA French with Business Studies year 4 (BA/FBS)
- R2NC: BA German with Business Studies year 4 (BA/GBS)
- N2N4: BA Management with Accounting year 3 (BA/MAF)
- N500: BA Marketing year 3 (BA/MK)
- N5R3: BA Marketing with Italian year 4 (BA/MKITAL)
- N5R1: BA Marketing with French year 4 (BA/MKTFR)
- N5R2: BA Marketing with German year 4 (BA/MKTGER)
- N5R4: BA Marketing with Spanish year 4 (BA/MKTSP#)
- R4N1: BA Spanish with Business Studies year 4 (BA/SPBS)
- N106: BSc Business Stud & Finance (Bangor International College) year 3 (BSC/BICBSF)
- NN24: BSc Management with Account (Bangor International College) year 3 (BSC/BICMNA)
- N503: BSc Marketing (Bangor International College) year 3 (BSC/BICMRK)
- NN1H: BSc Business Studies and Finance year 3 (BSC/BSFIN)
- NN1J: BSc Business Studies and Finance (4 year with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/BSFIN1)
- NNM1: BSc Business Studies & Marketing with Intl Experience year 4 (BSC/BSMIE)
- NN1M: BSc Business Studies and Marketing year 3 (BSC/BSMKT)
- NN1K: BSc Business Studies & Marketing (4 year with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/BSMKT1)
- N501: BSc Marketing year 3 (BSC/MKT)
- N50B: BSc Marketing (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BSC/MKT1)
- N2NK: BSc Management with Accounting year 3 (BSC/MWACC)
- N2NL: BSc Management with Accounting (4 year with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/MWACC1)
- 2R87: BSc Psychology with Business year 3 (BSC/PWB)
- C82B: BSc Psychology with Business (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BSC/PWB1)
- 2R88: BSc Psychology with Business with International Experience year 4 (BSC/PWBIE)