Britain and the EU
Run by Bangor Business School
10 Credits or 5 ECTS Credits
Overall aims and purpose
NOTE: This module includes a field trip to EU Institutions in Brussels and Strasbourg. NOTE: If you register for this module, you cannot also register for ASB-3303 Principles of Econometrics. AIMS: To provide an understanding of government and its institutions in Britain and the EU, exploring such dimensions as constitutional arrangements, treaties, sovereignty, subsidiarity and the concept of multi-level governance.
Elements of a governmental system; Relationship between the legislature, executive and judiciary, constituions and the rule of law; The British state and its institutions, the executive, the prime minister and monarch; The nation state and the EU; Sovereignty, legitimacy, subsidiarity and multi-level governance; History and evolution of the EU; Consultative and legislative processes of the EU; The EU as an experimental, evolving and unique model of multi-level governance.
thresholdCan identify the elements of governance in Britain and the EU - demonstrates a basic understanding of how the elements inter-relate and work to provide government at national and supra-national level and is able to make basic comparisons
goodAs above combined with an ability to analyse and discuss, for example, the role and powers of the UK Prime Minister and compare these with the President of the Commission - able to demonstrate a thorough understanding of the complex relationships between the institutional actors
excellentAs above and able to critically assess systems of governance in a comparative and theoretical manner based on a thorough reading of literature and original source material and be able to comment with insight grounded in a deep understanding of the issues.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the developmental nature of the EU and the federal- intergovernmental debate.
- Demonstrate familiarity with the current structure of the EU, its institutions and decision making processes.
- Understand the a concept of the nation state and an understanding of issues of sovereignty, multi-level governance and subsidiarity.
- Critically evaluate systems of governance.
- Demonstrate familiarity with the nature of the British State and its core institutions.
|Exam S1 2hrs||60|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
|One 2-hour lecture per week.|
Courses including this module
Optional in courses:
- NN45: BA Accounting and Banking year 3 (BA/AB)
- NQ26: BA Astudiaethau Busnes a Chymraeg year 3 (BA/ABCH)
- NN36: BA Accounting and Banking with International Experience year 4 (BA/ABIE)
- N400: BA Accounting and Finance year 3 (BA/AF)
- N401: BA Accounting & Finance (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/AFIE)
- NG10: BA Business and Computer Information Systems year 3 (BA/BCIS)
- N322: BA Banking and Finance year 3 (BA/BIF)
- NN13: BA Business Studies and Finance year 3 (BA/BSF)
- NN14: BA Business Stud & Finance (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/BSFIE)
- N1R1: BA Bus Stud with French year 3 (BA/BSFR)
- N1R2: BA Business Studies with German year 3 (BA/BSGER)
- N1R3: BA Business Studies with Italian year 3 (BA/BSIT)
- NN15: BA Business Studies and Marketing year 3 (BA/BSM)
- 8N60: BA Business Studies and Marketing (with International Exp) year 4 (BA/BSMIE)
- N1R4: BA Business Studies with Spanish year 3 (BA/BSSP)
- N100: BA Business Studies year 3 (BA/BUSS)
- N102: BA Business Studies (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/BUSSIE)
- LN14: BA Economics/Accounting year 3 (BA/ECA)
- LN15: BA Accounting & Economics (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/ECAIE)
- N2N4: BA Management with Accounting year 3 (BA/MAF)
- N500: BA Marketing year 3 (BA/MK)
- N106: BSc Business Stud & Finance (Bangor International College) year 3 (BSC/BICBSF)
- NN24: BSc Management with Account (Bangor International College) year 3 (BSC/BICMNA)
- N503: BSc Marketing (Bangor International College) year 3 (BSC/BICMRK)
- NN1H: BSc Business Studies and Finance year 3 (BSC/BSFIN)
- NN1J: BSc Business Studies and Finance (4 year with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/BSFIN1)
- NNM1: BSc Business Studies & Marketing with Intl Experience year 4 (BSC/BSMIE)
- NN1M: BSc Business Studies and Marketing year 3 (BSC/BSMKT)
- NN1K: BSc Business Studies & Marketing (4 year with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/BSMKT1)
- N501: BSc Marketing year 3 (BSC/MKT)
- N50B: BSc Marketing (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BSC/MKT1)
- N2NK: BSc Management with Accounting year 3 (BSC/MWACC)
- N2NL: BSc Management with Accounting (4 year with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/MWACC1)
- 2R87: BSc Psychology with Business year 3 (BSC/PWB)
- C82B: BSc Psychology with Business (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BSC/PWB1)
- 2R88: BSc Psychology with Business with International Experience year 4 (BSC/PWBIE)