Modules for course CXV3 | BA/CSP
BA Childhood Studies/Psychology
These were the modules for this course in the 2018–19 academic year.
You can also view the modules offered in the years: 2019–20.
60 credits from:
- PLP-3001: Applied Behaviour Analysis (20) (Semester 2) Recommended reading for this module is as follows: Skinner, B. F. (1974). About Behaviorism. New York: Alfred Knopf. Daniels, A. C. (2000). Other People's Habits: How to Use Positive Reinforcement to Bring Out the Best in People Around You. New York: McGraw-Hill. www.behavior.org Additional readings will be placed on Blackboard for students to download, or given out in class.
- PMP-3001: Intro to MBA (20) (Semester 2) The following reading is recommended for this module. We will put handouts and key articles on blackboard. Essential reading Williams M., Penman D., Mindfulness 2011 – Finding Peace in a Frantic World Kabat-Zinn, J. 1990, Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain and Illness, Delta. Williams, J.M.G, Teasdale, J., Segal, Z.V., Kabat-Zinn, J, 2007, The Mindful Way Through Depression: freeing yourself from chronic unhappiness. Guilford Press. Crane, R.S., 2009, Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy: Distinctive features. Routledge. Suggested reading Baer, R. E., 2005, Mindfulness-Based Treatment Approaches, First Edition: Clinician's Guide to Evidence Base and Applications (Practical Resources for the Mental Health Professional); Academic Press. Santorelli, S, 1999, Heal Thyself: Lessons on Mindfulness in Medicine, Bell Tower. Segal, Z.V., Williams, J.M.G. & Teasdale, J.D, 2002, Mindfulness–based Cognitive Therapy for Depression. A New Approach to Preventing Relapse. Guilford Press. Sarah, S., 2012, The Mindfulness Breakthrough, Watkins Publishing
- PHP-3002: Psyc of Addictive Behaviours (20) (Semester 1) Reading List A reading list will be distributed at the start of the course.
- PLP-3002: Brain and Language (20) (Semester 2) Reading List The following is a list of recommended course reference books for use as background/supplementary reading. There is no assigned textbook. A detailed week-by-week list of readings for the weekly seminars will be distributed in Week 1. Readings will be available through the library (either in hard copy or electronically) and/or via the module Blackboard site. Goldrick, Ferreira, & Miozzo (2014). The oxford Handbook of Language Production. Oxford University Press. Harley, T. A. (2014). The Psychology of Language (4th edition). Psychology Press. Hillis, A. E. (2002). The handbook of adult language disorders. Psychology press. http://aalfredoardila.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/ardila-a-2014-aphasia-handbook-miami-fl-florida-international-university1.pdf
- PSP-3002: Evolution & Human Soc Beh (20) (Semester 1) Reading List Required texts are: The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins, and The Mating Mind, by Geoffrey Miller Students will be provided with reading lists for each lecture. Other required and recommended readings include approximately 0-4 journal articles per week, all freely available through the university library website. Students may find the book In Your Face, by David Perrett helpful for the second half of the course.
- PLP-3003: Evidence-based Ed. Methods (20) (Semester 1) Recommended reading for this module is as follows: All reading for this module will be available in Blackboard using Talis Aspire. Additionally, there will be readings made available as PDF publications as well as web links to useful resources from within Blackboard. Following is a list of all library books purchased for this module, though you may choose to not read all of them: Barrett, B. H. (2002). The technology of teaching revisited: A reader's companion to B. F. Skinner's book. Concord, MA: Cambridge Centre for Behavioral Studies. Flesch, R. (1986). Why Johnny can't read: And what you can do about it: Harper Paperbacks. Johnson, K. R., & Street, E. M. (2004). The Morningside model of generative instruction: What it means to leave no child behind. Concord, MA: Cambridge Centre for Behavioral Studies. Johnson, K. R., & Street, E. M. (2013). Response to Intervention and Precision Teaching: Creating synergy in the classroom. London: The Guilford Press. (Available as e-book in our library). Johnston, J. M., & Pennypacker, H. S. (2004). Strategies and tactics of behavioral research (3rd ed.): Routledge. Kubina, R. M., & Yurich, K. K. L. (2012). The Precision Teaching Book. Lemont, PA: Greatness Achieved. Lindsley, O. R. (2010). Skinner on measurement. Kansas City: KA: Behavior Research Company. Maloney, M. (1998). Teach your children well: A solution to some of North America's educational problems. Cambridge, MA: Cambridge Center for Behavioral Studies. Moran, D. J., & Malott, R. W. (Eds.). (2004). Evidence-based educational methods. California: Elsevier Academic Press. (Available as e-book in our library). Peal, R. (2014). Progressively worse: The burden of bad ideas in British schools. London: Civitas. Pennypacker, H. S., Gutierrez Jr, A., & Lindsley, O. R. (2003). Handbook of the Standard Celeration Chart: Deluxe edition. Concord, MA: Cambridge Center for the Behavioral Sciences. Skinner, B. F. (1968). The technology of teaching: Appleton Century Crofts. Snider, V. E. (2006). Myths and misconceptions about teaching: What really happens in the classroom. Lanham, Maryland: Rowman & Littlefield Education. Stein, M., Silbert, J., & Carnine, D. (2005). Designing effective mathematics instruction: A direct instruction approach (4th ed.). Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice Hall. Vargas, J. S. (2009). Behavior analysis for effective teaching. New York: Routledge.
- PCP-3004: Cognitive Neuroscience (20) (Semester 2) Reading List Many of the topics covered are discussed in Gazzaniga, M., Ivry, R., & Mangun, G., (2008), Cognitive Neuroscience: The biology of Mind (3rd Edition). MIT Press. Shallice, T. & Cooper, R.P. (2011). The organization of mind. Oxford University Press. Additional readings will be given in class.
- PCP-3005: Consumer & Applied Psychology (20) (Semester 2) Readings Possibly Required (still TBD): Blackwell, R.D., Miniard, P.W., & Engel, J.F (2006). Consumer Behavior, 10th edition. International Student Edition. Mason, Ohio: Thomson Higher Education. ISBN: 0324271972 Possibly Required (still TBD): Case studies (About 1 per week – mostly included in required text). Scientific Papers (About 1 per week - distributed during the course). Recommended: Strunk and White, The Elements of Style. Available for ~£6 or online at: http://www.bartleby.com/141/
- PHP-3008: Counselling Skills (20) (Semester 2) The following textbook will provide you with a core overview of the topic to support your learning through this course. However, please remember that it is expected that you will read original papers (research or review articles from peer reviewed journals) rather than relying on the textbook whenever possible. Short, F. E., & Thomas, P. (2014). Core Approaches in Counselling and Psychotherapy. Routledge: UK. Additional readings for those who are interested in this topic are as follows: British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy. (1992). Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy. Guidelines available online at the BACP website: http://www.bacp.co.uk/ethical_framework British Psychological Association. (2006). Code of Ethics and Conduct. Guidelines available online at the BPS website: http://www.bps.org.uk/the-society/code-of-conduct/code-of-conduct_home.cfm Rogers, C. (1951). Client Centred Therapy: Its Current Practice, Implications and Theory. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin College. ISBN-13 978-1841198408 ISBN-10: 1841198404 Recommended book for Person-Centred Therapy Freud, S. (1949). The Ego and the Id. London: The Hogarth Press Ltd. ISBN-10: 1578988675 ISBN-13: 978-1578988679 Recommended book for Psychoanalytic Therapy Beck, A. T. (1975). Cognitive Therapy and the Emotional Disorders. Oxford, England: International Universities Press. ISBN-10: 0140156895 ISBN-13: 978-0140156898 Recommended book for Cognitive Therapy Egan, G. (2007). The Skilled Helper. Belmont, CA: Brooks/Cole. ISBN-10: 0495604313 ISBN-13: 978- 0495604313 Recommended book for Therapeutic Models Ellis, A. (1997). A Guide to Rational Living. US: Albert Ellis Institute. ISBN-10: 0879800429 ISBN-13: 978-0879800420 Recommended book for Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy Berne, E. (1964). Games People Play. New York, US: Ballantine Books. ISBN-10: 0141040270 ISBN-13: 978-0141040271 Recommended book for TA Bandler, R. & Grinder, J. (1979). Frogs into Princes: Neuro Linguistic Programming. Moab, UT: Real People Press. ISBN-10: 0911226192 ISBN-13: 978-0911226195 Recommended book for NLP James, L. (2007). Tigger on the Couch. ISBN-13 978-0007248957 ISBN-10: 0007248954 Recommended book for a little bit of fun If you would like more information about this module (content or teaching methods), please do not hesitate to contact Dr Fay Short.
60 credits from:
- SXH-3010: The Addicted Body (20) (Semester 2) • The Social Construction of the Body • The Body and the Senses: Lived experiences and the body schema • Substance Abuse and The Spoiled Identity • The Psychodynamics of Addictions • Addiction & Recovery: Concepts and Approaches • Social Dynamics & Associated Behaviours • Stigma, Identity & Labelling • Habitus, Social Capital & Anomie • Governmentality & Biopower • Medicalisation and Control • Social Regulation: Discipline, Punishment or Rehabilitation?
- XAE-3034: Child Language & Bilingualism (20) (Semester 1 + 2) The module focuses on: • child’s language development, what is language, what is the purpose of language and the purpose of studying language; • theoretical perspectives and methods of studying of language acquisition; • language development study methods and the purpose of language tests; • the child’s phonetic development, the acquisition of vocabulary, syntactic development and of communication skills. • the difference between learning a language in early childhood and after that period, language disorders, and the differences between monoglot and bilingual children. In the bilingual context, the module focuses on: • critical investigation and assessment of the nature and needs of bilingualism for the individual and for society • mixing codes, code switching and language allocation, and aspects of bilingualism that affect parents; • preparing for the bilingual society, literacy in two languages: learning and teaching and bilingualism and Deaf Awareness.
- XAE-3036: Identities in Childhood (20) (Semester 1) or
XAC-3036: Hunaniaethau mewn Plentyndod (20) (Semester 1)
- XAE-3038: Children w. Com. Difficulties (20) (Semester 1 + 2) This module will concentrate on the development of students’ critical understanding of Language & Communication Difficulties, and analyse the effect of such conditions on the social interaction skills and emotional and social development of children and young people by giving attention to the following: • What is Communication and the development circle of a child’s language? • Different kinds of Language & Communication Difficulties. • What does the Special Needs Code of Practice, statutory documentation and research state? • The role of parents and carers of individuals with Language & Communication Difficulties. • The implications of frustration on children and young people, such as behavioural and emotional problems. • A professional support network with voluntary agencies. • Intervention programmes and support strategies in response t the needs of young individuals with Language & Communication Difficulties.or
XAC-3038: Plant ag Anawsterau Cyfathrebu (20) (Semester 1 + 2)Bydd y modiwl hwn yn canolbwyntio ar ddatblygu dealltwriaeth beirniadol myfyrwyr o Anawsterau Iaith a Chyfathrebu, a dadansoddi effaith y cyflyrau hyn ar sgiliau rhyngweithio cymdeithasol, a datblygiad emosiynol a chymdeithasol plant a phobl ifanc trwy ymdriniaeth o: • Beth yw Cyfathrebu a chylch datblygiad iaith plentyn? • Fathau o Anawsterau Iaith a Chyfathrebu. • Beth mae’r Côd Ymarfer Anghenion Arbennig, dogfennaeth statudol ac ymchwil yn ei ddweud? • Rol rhieni a gofalwyr yr unigolion ag Anawsterau Iaith a Chyfathrebu. • Oblygiadau’r rhwystredigaeth ar blant a phobl ifanc, megis problemau ymddygiadol ac emosiynol. • Rwydwaith gefnogi broffesiynol ag asiantaethau gwirfoddol • Raglenni ymyrraeth a strategaethau cefnogi i ymateb i anghenion unigolion ifanc sydd ag Anawsterau Iaith a Chyfathrebu.
- XAE-3039: Profound Learning Difficulties (20) (Semester 1 + 2) The module will focus on typical development in the early years of life, and how research on and understandings of the factors which influence development, inform the education and care of children and young people with SLD and PMLD. Content will include: • Early Learning and Memory; • Motor development; • Development of communication and socialisation; • Interactions between infants with and without disabilities and their caregivers - implications for the development; • Development of vision and perception; • Medical issues relating to SLD and PMLD; • Issues in researching very early learning and development and SLD and PMLD; • .Assessment of and development of children and young people with multiple impairment: insights from research; • Common interventions in communication and interaction and the current evidence base for these including issues in evaluating the evidence for interventions; • Education and care provision for children and young people with SLD and PMLD - implications of psychological research and other theoretical approaches.or
XAC-3039: Anawsterau Dysgu Dwys (20) (Semester 1 + 2)Bydd y modiwl hwn yn canolbwyntio ar ddatblygiad nodweddiadol ym mlynyddoedd cynnar bywyd, a sut mae ymchwil i'r ffactorau sy'n dylanwadu ar ddatblygiad, a dealltwriaeth ohonynt, yn dylanwadu ar addysg a gofal plant a phobl ifanc gydag ADD ac ADDLl. Bydd yn cynnwys: • Dysgu Cynnar a'r Cof • Datblygiad echddygol • Datblygu sgiliau cyfathrebu a chymdeithasu • Rhyngweithio rhwng babanod gydag anableddau a heb anableddau a'r rhai sy'n gofalu amdanynt - goblygiadau ar gyfer y datblygiad. • Datblygiad y golwg a chanfyddiad • Materion meddygol yn ymwneud ag ADD ac ADDLl • Materion wrth ymchwilio i ddatblygiad a dysgu cynnar iawn ac ADD ac ADDLl • .Asesu plant a phobl ifanc gydag amhariadau lluosog a'u datblygiad: canfyddiadau o ymchwil. • Ymyriadau cyffredin mewn cyfathrebu a rhyngweithio a'r dystiolaeth gyfredol ar gyfer y rhain, yn cynnwys materion wrth werthuso'r dystiolaeth ar gyfer ymyriadau. • Darpariaeth addysg a gofal i blant a phobl ifanc gydag ADDD ac ADDLl - goblygiadau ymchwil seicolegol a dulliau damcaniaethol eraill.