Eng Analysis: Linear Systems
Run by School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
10 Credits or 5 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Dr Iestyn Pierce
Overall aims and purpose
To teach the principles of the Laplace Transform and its application in the study of differential equations and linear systems. Particular attention will be given to forced second order systems, resonance and applications in network analysis. Graphical methods for qualitative examination of ODEs will be introduced.
• Second order ODEs, forced systems, graphical methods for visualizing solutions, phase portraits. • Resonance in electrical and mechanical systems, general form for a second order system. • Definition of the Laplace transforms. Basic signals, shift theorems, convolution. • Ordinary Differential Equations, Transfer functions, Complex Impedance. • Applications of the Laplace transform in control systems and network synthesis • Cauer Ladders, Active Filters. • Relationship with the Fourier transform, Steady State Sinusoidal response
Learning outcomes mapped to assessment criteria
Understand the principles and properties of forced second order systems and methods for their graphical solution.
|Can state definitions and basic properties of 2nd order systems. Can describe what is meant by damping factor/Q-factor and natural frequency.||Can use standard solution techniques. Can discuss graphical methods at a reasonable level.||Demonstrates thorough knowledge of second order systems in general, including graphical methods.|
Understand the Laplace transform and its engineering applications.
|Know the formula for the Laplace transform. Can state basic results.||Apply the Laplace transform to solution of ODEs. Knows and can apply all the standard results.||A comprehensive knowledge of Laplace transform methods. Evaluates results and derivations sensibly.|
|Application of graphical methods||20|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
2 x 1 hour Lectures per week for 12 weeks (4 x 1 hour tutorials delivered over 12 weeks during lecture slots).
Worked examples, attempting tutorial questions, completing past exam papers, revision.
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Numeracy - Proficiency in using numbers at appropriate levels of accuracy
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
Subject specific skills
- Apply underpinning concepts and ideas of engineering;
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 2 (BA/MEE)
- H612: BEng Computer Systs Eng (3 yrs) year 2 (BENG/CSE)
- H61B: BEng Computer Sys Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BENG/CSE1)
- H610: BENG Electronic Engineering (3 yrs) year 2 (BENG/ELE)
- H62B: BEng Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BENG/ELE1)
- H621: BEng Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 2 (BENG/ELEIE)
- H64B: BSc Computer Sys Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BSC/CSE1)
- H603: BSc Computer Systems Engineering year 2 (BSC/CSENG)
- H6W3: BSc Electronic Engineering and Music year 2 (BSC/EEM)
- H611: BSc Electronic Engineering year 2 (BSC/ELE)
- H63B: BSc Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BSC/ELE1)
- H661: MEng Control and Instrumentation Engineering year 2 (MENG/CIE)
- H660: MEng Critical Safety Engineering year 2 (MENG/CRSEN)
- H617: MEng Computer Systs Eng (4 yrs) year 2 (MENG/CSE)
- H619: MEng Computer Systems Engineering (with International Exper) year 2 (MENG/CSEIE)
- H601: MEng Electronic Engineering (4 yrs) year 2 (MENG/EE)
- H618: MEng Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 2 (MENG/EEIE)