Modules for course IN00 | BSC/CISB
BSc Computer Information Systems for Business
This is a provisional list of modules to be offered on this course in the 2019–20 academic year.
The list may not be complete, and the final course content may be different.
- ICP-1002: Unix Operating System (10)
- ICP-1022: Programming Fundamentals (10) Syllabus: Programming and the JAVA language: Object Oriented Design; Objects and classes; Declaring objects and calling methods; Programming Constructs:- selecting among alternatives and repetition; Basic JAVA data types.
- ICP-1026: Web Technologies (10)
- ICP-1030: Computing Fundamentals (20)
- ICP-1024: Java Programming Laboratory (10) Course Content (Mathematics Benchmark deliberately does not specify content and so there are no cross references) Introduction to the concepts of information systems and key hardware in a modern computer system. Discuss the storage, processing and movement of data within a computer. Discuss the development of programming languages from 1st to 5th generation and influence each generation had on programming. Introduce the Matlab programming environment Introduce the stages of creating a computer program Discuss data types and their uses and limitations Introduce logical expressions Introduce statement programming structures Introduce conditional programming structures Introduce repetition programming structures Discuss unstructured programs and their limitations Introduce structured programming principles Introduce functions and procedures Discuss functional decomposition methods Introduce pseudo code and its usage Introduce flowcharts and their uses Introduce Nassi-Schneiderman charts and their uses Compare advantages and disadvantages of notation forms Introduce the Jackson Program Design Method. Investigate structure diagrams to represent data and program structure Introduce stages of Jackson Program Design Method Discuss example programs design Introduce iteration rules and multiple data structures Introduce selected well known mathematical methods and their implementation as programs
- ICP-1030: Computing Fundamentals
- ICP-1043: Information Systems (10)
- ICP-1064: Professional Perspectives (10)
40 credits from:
- ASB-1103: Intro to Business and Mgmt (10) (Semester 1) • Introduction to the module • Explaining Organisational Behaviour • The Environment • Learning • Culture • Personality • Motivation • Groups • Leadership • Elements of structure • Conflictor
ADB-1103: Busnes a Rheolaeth (10) (Semester 1)• Cyflwyniad i’r modiwl • Egluro ymddygiad sefydliadol • Yr Amgylchedd • Dysgu • Diwylliant • Personoliaeth • Symbyliad • Grwpiau • Arweinyddiaeth • Elfennau strwythur • Gwrthdaro
- ASB-1104: Introduction to Marketing (10) (Semester 2) Core marketing concepts; Forces of the marketing environment, and their impact; Markets, targeting, segmentation and positioning; Consumer buying behaviour and the decision process; The marketing plan and its implementation; Place, Product, Price and Promotion.or
ACB-1104: Cyflwyniad i Farchnata (10) (Semester 2)Cysyniadau craidd marchnata; Grymoedd yr amgylchedd marchnata a’u heffaith; Marchnadoedd, targedu, segmenteiddio a lleoli; Ymddygiad prynu defnyddwyr a’r modd y bydd defnyddwyr yn gwneud penderfyniadau prynu; Y cynllun marchnata a’i weithrediad Dosbarthiad, cynnyrch, pris a hyrwyddo.
- ASB-1110: Mgmt & Financial Accounting (20) (Semester 1 + 2) Financial accounting:- Measuring and reporting the financial position of an organisation; Measuring and reporting the financial performance of an organisation; Book-keeping and the preparation of company accounts. Management accounting:- Marginal analysis; Full costing, activity-based costing; Budgeting, accounting for control.or
ACB-1110: Cyfrifeg Rheolaeth ac Ariannol (20) (Semester 1 + 2)Cyfrifeg ariannol: Mesur sefyllfa ariannol sefydliad a rhoi adroddiad ar hynny; Mesur perfformiad ariannol sefydliad a rhoi adroddiad ar hynny; Cadw cyfrifon a pharatoi cyfrifon cwmni. Cyfrifeg rheolaeth: Dadansoddiad ffiniol; Costiad llawn, costiad wedi’i seilio ar weithgaredd; Cyllidebu, cyfrifo ar gyfer rheolaeth.
- ASB-1300: CORE Economics (20) (Semester 1 + 2) or
ACB-1300: Economeg CORE (20) (Semester 1 + 2)
- ICP-2002: System Administration & Mainte (20)
- ICP-2052: Application Development (20)
- ASB-2103: Principles of Marketing (10) The global marketplace; Marketing information and research; Segmentation, targeting and positioning; Customer relationships and value; Products; brands, product developments and life-cycles; Pricing strategies; Promotion and marketing communication; Public relations, personal selling and sales management; Place, marketing channels.or
ACB-2103: Egwyddorion Marchnata (10)Y farchnad fyd-eang; Gwybodaeth ac ymchwil marchnata; Segmenteiddio, targedu a lleoli; Perthynas â chwsmeriaid a gwerth am arian; Marchnata gwasanaethau; Cynnyrch, brandiau, datblygiad cynnyrch a’u cylch oes; Strategaethau prisio; Cyfathrebu ar gyfer hyrwyddo a marchnata; Cysylltiadau cyhoeddus, sgiliau gwerthu’r unigolyn a rheoli gwerthiant; Lleoliad, sianeli marchnata.
- ASB-2104: Princ.of Organisation & Mgmt (10) Introduction to management and organisations; The 'big picture' external environmental context, PESTLE framework; Organisational structure; Influence of technology and work systems; Management strategy; Organisational culture; Organisational democracy, employee voice, teamwork; Employee motivation and work orientations; Conflict: competing frames of reference, conflict resolution, power and politics.
- ICP-2221: Database Systems 1 (10)
- ICP-2302: Software Hut (20) Aims:To enable students to develop their professional skills, work as part of a group and deepen their understanding of software specification, design, development and implementation processes in modifying existing systems with a change in requirements. To facilitate understanding of component based systems. Learning Goals: To provide a student with the opportunity to: 1. Undertaks a collaborative software development project under group supervision, using a legacy application (possibly from first software hut module) 2. Enhance and extend skills in finding and critically evaluating technical literature 3. Develop and demonstrate skills in progress reporting and project planning to meet deadlines 4. Deepen their knowledge of project-specific software techniques and collaborative software development methodologies, and 5. explore the ideas behind component based systems and COTS (Components Off the Shelf) 6. Understand the need for software engineering approaches by analysing, modifying or maintaining an existing system, not developed by themselves 7. Apply approaches (tools/techniques) for development of component based systems 8. Practice and develop their ability to convey technical information both orally and in written form. Syllabus: Dependent upon specific project allocated
- ICP-2002: System Administration & Mainte
- ICP-2052: Application Development
- ASB-2109: Marketing Research (10) The role of marketing research; Defining a research problem, research question and objectives; Questionnaire design, measurement and scaling; Sampling; Quantitative analysis; Collecting secondary data and use of databases; Qualitative methods including interviews, focus groups and observation; Qualitative analysis; Writing a research report; Causal research and an introduction to experiments.
- ASB-2112: Business Information Systems (10) Information systems and competitive advantage, including the value chain, and the nature of data, information and knowledge; Business systems concepts, business processes and business systems; Communication, networks, software, models for effective virtual communication; Keeping records, including databases, structures, forms, reports and searching; Interacting, including the basics of interface design, and workplace ergonomics; Impact of technology on working life, and new modules of working; Developing and chaning technology, including stages in systems development projects, such as analysis, specification, design and implementation; E-business and e-commerece; Learning with information systems, including innovation, decision making and knowledge management; Control and security, in networked environments, including intranet and internet.or
ADB-2112: Systemau Gwybodaeth Busnes (10)Systemau gwybodaeth a mantais cystadleuol, gan gynnwys y gadwyn werth a natur data a gwybodaeth; Cysyniadau systemau busnes, prosesau busnes a systemau busnes; Cyfathrebu, rhwydweithiau, meddalwedd, modelau ar gyfer cyfathrebu rhithwir effeithiol; Cadw cofnodion, gan gynnwys cronfeydd data, strwythurau, ffurflenni, adroddiadau a chwilio; Rhyngweithio, gan gynnwys cynllunio rhyngwyneb sylfaenol ac ergonomeg y gweithle; Effaith technoleg ar fyd gwaith a modelau gweithio newydd; Technoleg sy'n datblygu a newid, gan gynnwys camau mewn projectau datblygu systemau, megis dadansoddi, manyleb, cynllun a gweithredu; E-fusnes ac e-fasnach; Dysgu gyda systemau gwybodaeth, gan gynnwys datblygiadau newydd, gwneud penderfyniadau a rheoli gwybodaeth; Rheolaeth a diogelwch mewn amgylchedd wedi’i rwydweithio, gan gynnwys y fewnrwyd a’r rhyngrwyd.
- ICP-2225: Knowledge Manag & Info Retriev (10)
- ICP-2302: Software Hut Aims:To enable students to develop their professional skills, work as part of a group and deepen their understanding of software specification, design, development and implementation processes in modifying existing systems with a change in requirements. To facilitate understanding of component based systems. Learning Goals: To provide a student with the opportunity to: 1. Undertaks a collaborative software development project under group supervision, using a legacy application (possibly from first software hut module) 2. Enhance and extend skills in finding and critically evaluating technical literature 3. Develop and demonstrate skills in progress reporting and project planning to meet deadlines 4. Deepen their knowledge of project-specific software techniques and collaborative software development methodologies, and 5. explore the ideas behind component based systems and COTS (Components Off the Shelf) 6. Understand the need for software engineering approaches by analysing, modifying or maintaining an existing system, not developed by themselves 7. Apply approaches (tools/techniques) for development of component based systems 8. Practice and develop their ability to convey technical information both orally and in written form. Syllabus: Dependent upon specific project allocated
- ICP-3011: Computer & Network Security (10)
- ICP-3025: Apps Artificial Intelligence (10)
- ICP-3099: Individual Project-Computing (30) Core
- ASB-3101: Human Resource Management (10) History and development of the HR function; Strategic HRM; Human resourcing: recruitment and selection, human resource planning; Human Resource Development; Reward and performance management; Employee relations, employment law, industrial relations; The flexible firm; Globalisation and international HRM; HRM issues in practice.
- ASB-3102: International Business (10) Globalisation and international business; Challenges of operating in an international environment; Culture in the global environment; Role of governments in international business; Economic and behavioural explanations of international business; Range of transaction modes, export/import, joint venture, licensing and other cooperative modes, wholly-owned direct investment; Creating a Global Value Chain; Selecting countries and modes of entry; Challenges of implementing international business strategy.
- ICP-3027: Databases - Design & Implement (10)
- ICP-3046: Web-Based Applications (10)
- IED-3064: Business Process Reengineering (10)
- ICP-3099: Individual Project-Computing
- ASB-3109: Strategic Management (10) The concepts of strategic management; the vocabulary of strategy; prescriptive and emergent strategies; Strategy, the organisation and the environment; strategic capabilities; The core processes: strategic analysis; strategy formulation; strategic choices; Directions for strategy development, product and market development, diversification; Methods of strategy development, internal development, mergers and acquisitions, joint developments; Corporate-level versus business-level strategy, the corporate strategy and diversification; business strategies; Strategy in action: evaluating strategy, organising for success.
- ICP-3123: Internet Tech for E-Commerce (10)