Modules for course LN14 | BA/ECA
These are the modules currently offered on this course in the 2018–19 academic year.
- ASB-3211: Adv.Accounting Theory & Pract (20) Normative theories of accounting; Positive accounting theories; Behavioural accounting theories; Systems-oriented theories; Critical accounting theories; Conceptual frameworks for financial reporting; A regulatory framework for financial reporting; Presentation of financial statements; Specific issues, including financial instruments, leases. provision, contingent liabilities and contingent assests: taxation.
- ASB-3313: Financial Economics (10)
- ASB-3514: Industrial Organisation (10) 1.Market structure. a. Static imperfect competition. b. Dynamic imperfect competition. 2. Sources of market power. a. Product differentiation. b. Advertising and marketing. c. Information and reputation. 3. Pricing strategy. a. Price discrimination. b. Intertemporal price discrimination. c. Bundling. 4. Competition and regulation. a. Mergers and acquisitions. b. Entry and exit.
- ASB-3208: Financial Statement Analysis (10) Financial ratio analysis and interfirm comparison; Trend analysis and financial forecasting; Dividends, earnings and share valuation; Valuation techniques; Investment analysis; Distress prediction and company acquisations.
- ASB-3211: Adv.Accounting Theory & Pract Normative theories of accounting; Positive accounting theories; Behavioural accounting theories; Systems-oriented theories; Critical accounting theories; Conceptual frameworks for financial reporting; A regulatory framework for financial reporting; Presentation of financial statements; Specific issues, including financial instruments, leases. provision, contingent liabilities and contingent assests: taxation.
- ASB-3301: Macroeconomics (10) Economic growth, physical and human capital, technological progress; Labour market, skills and unemployment; Business cycles, consumption and investment; Fiscal policy, public finances; Monetary policy, money and inflation; International macro, currencies and exchange rates.
20 to 40 credits from:
- ASB-3212: Taxation (20) (Semester 1 + 2) The place of taxation in the economy; The balance between equity and efficiency; Income tax and incentives to work and save; The role of capital taxation; The bases of taxation and investment incentives; Reform of the tax system; Tax as a policy tool; The calculation of personal, corporate, capital gains, inheritance and value added tax liabilities; Basic tax planning.or
ADB-3212: Trethiant (20) (Semester 1 + 2)Lle trethiant yn yr economi; Y cydbwysedd rhwng ecwiti ac effeithlonrwydd; Treth incwm a chymhelliannau i weithio ac arbed; Swyddogaeth trethiant cyfalaf; Seiliau trethiant a chymhelliannau buddsoddi; Diwygio'r system dreth; Treth fel cyfrwng polisi; Cyfrifo rhwymedigaethau treth bersonol, gorfforaethol, enillion cyfalaf, etifeddu a threth ar werth; Cynllunio sylfaenol o ran talu trethi.
- ASB-3214: Auditing (20) (Semester 1 + 2) Theoretical, regulatory and ethical background to both internal and external auditing; Risk assessment in the context of internal and external audit; The audit planning process; Gathering of audit evidence; Contents of audit reports; International procedural and ethical standards.
- Students must take one of these modules, the other may be taken as an option.
20 to 40 credits from:
- ASB-3008: Financial Technology (10) (Semester 2)
- CCB-3202: Ymdrin â'ch Pwnc yn Gymraeg (10) (Semester 2) Edrychir yn fanwl ar gyweiriau iaith ac egwyddorion Cymraeg Clir a cheir cyfle i arbrofi ag ysgrifennu darnau gwahanol yng nghyd-destun amrywiol feysydd academaidd ar gyfer gwahanol gynulleidfaeodd. Rhoir arweiniad ar sut i ymgyfarwyddo â thermau penodol gwahanol bynciau. Ceir cyfle i ymarfer sgiliau a fydd o ddefnydd i'r myfyrwyr wrth ddilyn eu cyrsiau trwy gyfrwng y Gymraeg e.e. ysgrifennu nodiadau cydlynnus, crynhoi, trawsieithu a chyfieithu deunydd a defnyddir yn eu meysydd cwricwlaidd. Rhan bwysig o'r modiwl yw'r gwaith paratoi tuag at y cyflwyniad llafar (40% o'r marc terfynol) lle ceir cyfle i gyflwyno elfen benodol ar eu maes academaidd o flaen cynulleidfa o ddarlithwyr a chyd-fyfyrwyr.
- ASB-3204: Corporate Risk Management (10) (Semester 1) The nature of risk management; Risk identification; The firm's loss exposure; Risk measurement and probability distributions; Risk control tools; Risk financing; Insurance and the alternatives; Legal aspects of insurance and insurance contracts; Dealing with insurers.
- ASB-3206: Money and Banking (10) (Semester 2) Money and the financial system; Interest rates, financial instruments and financial markets; Financial institutions and bank management; Central banks, monetary policy and financial stability; Central bank balance sheet and the money supply process; Modern monetary economics.
- ASB-3400: Law for Business (20) (Semester 1 + 2)
- ASB-3500: Britain and the EU (10) (Semester 1) Elements of a governmental system; Relationship between the legislature, executive and judiciary, constituions and the rule of law; The British state and its institutions, the executive, the prime minister and monarch; The nation state and the EU; Sovereignty, legitimacy, subsidiarity and multi-level governance; History and evolution of the EU; Consultative and legislative processes of the EU; The EU as an experimental, evolving and unique model of multi-level governance.
- ASB-3509: Corp. Social Responsibility (10) (Semester 2) This module involves a visit to an organisation, during which emphasis will be placed upon its CSR strategies. An opportunity will also be available to relate CSR theory to its practical applications.
- ASB-3527: Executive Compensation (10) (Semester 2)
- Students may choose from the above list of modules subject to pre-requisites.