Barcelona: a Cultural History
Run by School of Languages, Literatures and Linguistics.
20 Credits or 10 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Dr Eva Bru-Dominguez
Overall aims and purpose
This module studies the cultural history of the city of Barcelona, one of the key symbols of Catalan cultural identity. It introduces theoretical approaches to urban studies and examines a range of visual and material artefacts as well as literary texts, including, architecture, painting, posters, sculpture and a novel. The module examines the relationship urban space, memory and identity through close analysis of artistic production. Specific case studies include: 1) architecture: the Hospital de Sant Pau (Lluís Domènech i Montaner); 2) Modernista posters and paintings; 3) Noucentista painting and sculpture; 4) literary text: 'In Diamond square' by Mercè Rodoreda
The module will cover the following topics: 1) Theoretical Approaches to the Urban Space; 2) Barcelona at the turn of the twentieth century: a socio-historical approach; 3) Beyond the City Walls: Building Modern Barcelona; 4) Modernista architecture: the Hospital de Sant Pau; 5) Modernista visual culture: posters and painting; 6) Mediterranean Classicism: painting and sculpture; 7) The Spanish Civil War and the Franco dictatorship; 8) A City Under Siege: In Diamond Square (1962) by Mercè Rodoreda; 9) Transition to democracy; 10) The City as a Stage: Performance Art
A- - A*: For the award of the highest grade, students should demonstrate a detailed comprehension of the various topics studied, with a nuanced understanding of the correlations and interrelations highlighted, having also analysed and evaluated key sources thoroughly.
D- - D+ For the award of credit, students should demonstrate a satisfactory comprehension of the various topics studied, with some understanding of the correlations and interrelations highlighted.
C- - B+: For the award of higher grades, students should demonstrate a solid comprehension of the various topics studied, with clear understanding of the correlations and interrelations highlighted, having also analysed and evaluated key sources.
To explore the relationship between ideology and the construction of the urban space.
To develop a critical approach to a range of visual artefacts and performances.
To become aware of how key historical processes have influenced the development of the urban environment and its cultural representation.
To develop a good knowledge of the cultural history of the city with particular focus on the 20th and 21st centuries.
|ESSAY||2000 word essay||50|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
2 x 1-hour lectures to cover main weekly contents, analysis of texts and critical discussion for 11 weeks
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Subject specific skills
- The ability to critically understand, analyse and interpret the main events shaping Spanish history and culture (benchmark statement 5.7, 5.10 and 5.11)
- The ability to critically understand Spanish and Hispanic culture and its relationship to other cultures. (Benchmark statement 5.7)
- The ability to analyse Spanish-language texts (incl. films, visual materials and ideas) and place them in a wider historical-political and socio-cultural context. (Benchmark statement 5.4, 5.7, and 5.11)
- The ability to analyse, interpret and historically contextualise a range of Spanish, Galician and Catalan films using different forms of critical analysis (cultural, historical, socio-political and literary). (Benchmark statement 5.7, 5.10 and 5.14)
- The ability to analyse, interpret and contextualise fiction, art objects, performance and architecture from Catalan culture (Benchmark statement 5.7 and 5.10)
- 11, The ability to analyse key cinematic techniques and to provide a critical evaluation of cinematic imagery and language in Catalan cinema (Benchmark statements 5.7, 5.10)
Talis Reading listhttp://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/lxs-2035.html
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
Courses including this module
Optional in courses:
- NR44: BA Accounting/Spanish year 2 (BA/ASP)
- NR34: BA Banking/Spanish year 2 (BA/BSP)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 2 (BA/BUSSS)
- T107: BA Chinese and Spanish year 2 (BA/CHSP)
- MR94: BA Criminology/Spanish year 2 (BA/CRSP)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTSP)
- LR14: BA Economics/Spanish year 2 (BA/ECSP)
- 3YT5: BA English Literature and Spanish year 2 (BA/ELIS)
- QR3K: BA English Language and Spanish year 2 (BA/ELSP)
- RR14: BA French and Spanish year 2 (BA/FS4#)
- PR34: BA Film Studies and Spanish year 2 (BA/FSSPAN4)
- RR24: BA German/Spanish (4 years) year 2 (BA/GS)
- 8Y64: BA German and Spanish (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/GSIE)
- RV41: BA History/Spanish year 2 (BA/HSP)
- QR14: BA Linguistics/Spanish year 2 (BA/LSP)
- NR54: BA Marketing and Spanish (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTSP)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 2 (BA/MUSP)
- VVR4: BA Philosophy and Religion and Spanish year 2 (BA/PRS)
- RR43: BA Spanish/Italian year 2 (BA/SI)
- R400: BA Spanish year 2 (BA/SP4)
- R4N1: BA Spanish with Business Studies year 2 (BA/SPBS)
- T110: BA Spanish with Chinese year 2 (BA/SPCH)
- R4W8: BA Spanish with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/SPCW)
- QR54: BA Spanish/Cymraeg year 2 (BA/SPCY)
- R4R1: BA Spanish with French year 2 (BA/SPFR)
- R4R2: BA Spanish with German year 2 (BA/SPG)
- R4R3: BA Spanish with Italian year 2 (BA/SPI)
- R4P5: BA Spanish with Journalism year 2 (BA/SPJO)
- R4N5: BA Spanish with Marketing year 2 (BA/SPMKT)
- R4P3: BA Spanish with Media Studies year 2 (BA/SPMS)
- CR6K: BA Spanish/Sports Science year 2 (BA/SPSSC)