Chinese Language Skills
Run by School of Languages, Literatures and Linguistics.
40 Credits or 20 ECTS Credits
Semester 1 & 2
Organiser: Dr Shasha Wang
Overall aims and purpose
To consolidate the essential structures of Chinese and develop both vocabulary and range of language structures.
To further develop active and passive language skills, including comprehension skills in listening, productive skills in speaking, reading and writing.
To deepen students’ understanding and appreciation of the customs, culture and society of China and develop students’ awareness of the general social and cultural background of Chinese, and to familiarise students with lexis relevant to their forthcoming residence abroad.
Building on the foundation of the first year modules of Chinese for Beginners, this module includes classes on written language skills, listening comprehension and translation in/from English and oral communication skills. It will further develop proficiency and fluency in Chinese. Written language skills will focus on different types of writing, including exposition, argument and letter. Listening comprehension classes will draw from contemporary authentic materials. Oral skills will develop fluency that will prepare students for their semester or year abroad in China.
70+%: An excellent knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and an excellent ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts. Excellent oral and aural competence.
40-49%: A limited knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and a limited ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts. Basic oral and aural competence.
50-60%: A good knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and a good ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts. Good oral and aural competence.
- have extended their knowledge of Chinese as learned in Year 1 and substantially increased their vocabulary, both in spoken and written forms;
- be familiar with features of Chinese sentences and use them correctly in a range of different contexts;
- be able to produce coherent paragraphs using a good range of vocabulary and grammatical construction, and translate more complex sentences and short texts from English into Chinese and vice versa;
- be able to conduct dialogues on a wide range of sophisticated topics.
- be able to read Chinese texts of a reasonable length;
|CLASS TEST||Written Test||10|
Set of prescribed assessed tasks as per annual schedule
2 hour written exam
|CLASS TEST||grammar test||10|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
reading time, preparing and taking assessments.
2 hour x grammar per week for 11 weeks per semester 1 hour x writing skills per week for 11 weeks per semester 1 hour x conversation skills per week for 11 weeks per semester
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
Subject specific skills
- The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in more substantial written assignments in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to translate more substantial passages into and out of the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- Engaging with, interpreting and critically evaluating short and longer contemporary texts (short stories, films, novels) in the target language (Benchmark statement 5. 8, and 5.9)
- Enhanced oral communication and presentation skills (including delivery and argument development, discussion and defence) in the target language through individual and/or group discussions. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in oral assignments, showing ease with a wider range of topics and registers in formal and informal situations. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- Further develop aural comprehension skills in the target language, supported by a wide range of appropriate materials in different media. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to read, understand and summarise more complex written texts in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- Communication: more advanced verbal communication skills in Chinese that build on and extend the skills honed in first year; (Benchmark statements 5.8, 5.9, 5.15)
- Communication: more advanced reading skills in Chinese that that build on and extend the skills honed in first year; (Benchmark statements 5.8, 5.9, 5.15)
- Communication: more advanced listening skills in Chinese that build on and extend the skills honed in first year; (Benchmark statements 5.8, 5.9, 5.15)
- Interpersonal skills: work productively with others as part of a team, within a set structure; (Benchmark statement 5.16)
- Study skills: make progress through developing skills of self-study and application and develop an awareness of and sensitivity to a foreign culture; (Benchmark statements 5.7, 5.15)
- Study skills: research and writing skills in a new language; (Benchmark statements: 5.7, 5.15)
- Presentation skills. (Benchmark statements 5.14, 5.15)
Resource implications for students
Students will need to purchase the core textbook (with the CD). The core textbook is likely to cost about £15-£20. Copies of the above books will be ordered for the university library.
Talis Reading listhttp://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/lzc-2040.html
Core textbook: Chinese in Steps Student Book 3 (1 textbook + CD)
Conversational Chinese 301 - Yuhua Kang Siping Lai 2005
New practical Chinese reader - Xun Liu 2015
Han yu 900 ju Everyday Chinese : authentic language for real-life communication 2006
Colloquial Chinese 2 : the next step in language learning - Qian Kan 1960- 2015
The contemporary chinese dictionary : Chinese-English edition - Zhongguo she hui ke xue yuan. Yu yan yan jiu suo. Ci dian bian ji shi. 2002
A learner's Chinese dictionary : illustrations of the usages - Chuanping Liu; Xianjun Pan 2005 A practical Chinese grammar for foreigners - Dejin Li Meizhen Cheng; Dehou Jin 2011 A key to Chinese speech and writing - Joël Bellassen Pengpeng Zhang; Christian Artuso 1997 Experiencing Chinese. Experiencing culture in China - Xiaoyu Zeng; Zhaojun Guo 2006 Practicing HSK grammar - Jing Zhang Donglian Lü; Juan Xu 2008 Official examination papers of HSK - China. Guojia han ban / Kongzi xueyuan zongbu. 2012 Exercise book for writing Chinese characters - Shiping Da; Wanzhong Da 2006 Contemporary Chinese - Jerry Schmidt; Zhongwei Wu 1970-; Wei Xu 2003
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- N1T1: BA Business Studies and Chinese year 2 (BA/BUSCH)
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CHCS)
- T102: BA Chinese and Cymraeg year 2 (BA/CHCY)
- T104: BA Chinese and French year 2 (BA/CHFR)
- T105: BA Chinese and German year 2 (BA/CHG)
- T106: BA Chinese and Italian year 2 (BA/CHIT)
- T101: BA Chinese and Linguistics year 2 (BA/CHL)
- T107: BA Chinese and Spanish year 2 (BA/CHSP)
- L1T1: BA Economics and Chinese year 2 (BA/ECCH)
- T123: BA English Language and Chinese year 2 (BA/ELCH)
- T108: BA French with Chinese year 2 (BA/FRCH)
- T125: BA Film Studies and Chinese year 2 (BA/FSCH)
- T109: BA German with Chinese year 2 (BA/GCH)
- T124: BA English Literature & Chinese year 2 (BA/LITCH)
- T110: BA Spanish with Chinese year 2 (BA/SPCH)