French Language Skills (Minor)
Run by School of Languages, Literatures and Linguistics.
20 Credits or 10 ECTS Credits
Semester 1 & 2
Organiser: Dr Jonathan Ervine
Overall aims and purpose
- To consolidate key areas of advanced grammar.
- To further develop advanced test translation skills into and out of the target language.
- To promote appropriate use of style and register in written work.
- To develop and refine advanced skills in structured formal essay writing and paraphrasing tasks.
Students on this module will be working towards achieving C1/C2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
This 20 credit module running throughout the year promotes appropriate use of style and register in all written work and ensures that students can deal with variations in register and idiomatic expression in a confident and accurate manner. Through exposure to selected texts and complex grammatical structures, students acquire reading and writing skills which match the required standard of final year linguists.
40-49%: A limited knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and a limited ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts.
50-69%: A good knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and a good ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts.
70+%: An excellent knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and an excellent ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts.
Demonstrate in essay and translation work a sophisticated command of both the target language and English/Welsh that is alive to the rhetorical range of both languages.
To read and understand complex texts varying in style, tone and register and comment on these texts in a concise and fluent manner.
Students will have an enlarged vocabulary in relation to the themes studied.
Students will be able to offer accurate and empathetic translations which not only capture the meaning of the text, but also its mood.
Exam involving translation of two texts: - One from French to English/Welsh - One from English/Welsh to French
|CLASS TEST||Article Summary/Paraphrasing||
Test that invovles writing a summary in French of a French language news article.
500 word essay in French. Students will choose topic from list distributed in class and made available on Blackboard.
Teaching and Learning Strategy
1 x 1 hour translation class per week for 11 weeks per semester 1 x 1 hour applied language skills class per week for 11 weeks per semester
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Subject specific skills
- The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in short written assignments in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to translate short passages into and out of the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to read, understand and summarise written texts in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in sophisticated written assignments in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to translate sophisticated passages into and out of the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to read, understand and summarise more sophisticated written texts in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
Resource implications for students
There are no resource implications for the students
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- T114: BA Chinese and German with French year 4 (BA/CHGF)
- T117: BA Chinese & Italian with French year 4 (BA/CHIF)
- T120: BA Chinese & Spanish with French year 4 (BA/CHSF)
- R921: BA German & Italian with French year 4 (BA/GIF4)
- R924: BA German & Italian with Spanish year 3 (BA/GIS4)
- R922: BA German & Spanish with French year 4 (BA/GSF4)
- R926: BA Italian & Spanish with French year 3 (BA/ISF4)