Italian Language 1 (3 Major)
Run by School of Languages, Literatures and Linguistics.
20 Credits or 10 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Dr Silvia Bergamini
Overall aims and purpose
- To consolidate and expand on students' knowledge of Italian grammar and vocabulary.
- To develop translation skills into and out of the target language, and skills in manipulation of written Italian.
- To develop oral and aural skills.
- To familiarise students with lexis relevant to their forthcoming residence abroad, and other sociocultural contexts.
Students on this module will be working towards achieving B2/C1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
This first semester course intends to consolidate and expand the students' knowledge of grammar and vocabulary through exposure to a variety of texts ranging from newspaper articles to literary extracts, differning in register and style (to include very colloquial and very formal examples). Oral and aural skills will also be emphasised through special classes in which students watch clips from films or television programmes, or listen to extracts from radio programmes and are encouraged to discuss and analyse their contents.
Key Text: De Rome, Denise, Soluzioni: A Practical Grammar of Contemporary Italian, (London&New York: Routledge, 2010).
Webpages: www.rainews.it www.repubblica.it
Any other learning resources: Writing classes dossier; Self-study portfolio.
40-49%: Limited knowledge of grammar and vocabulary resulting in a limited ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed texts. Limited oral/aural competence.
50-69%: Good knowledge of grammar and vocabulary resulting in a good ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed texts. Good oral/aural competence.
70+%: Excellent knowledge of grammar and vocabulary resulting in an excellent ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed texts. Excellent oral/aural competence.
Demonstrate an increased ability in the art of paraphrasing and in reading-comprehension exercises.
Make individual presentations and discuss competently a given topic as part of a team, and demonstrate an ability to comprehend a wide range of audio-visual material.
Demonstrate an ability to translate texts competently, matching style and register to purpose.
|CLASS TEST||Translation into English/Welsh||16.66|
|AURAL||In-class video comprehension||16.68|
|EXAM||2 hour written exam||25|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
1 hour x grammar per week for 11 weeks 1 hour x writing skills per week for 11 weeks 1 hour x conversation skills per week for 11 weeks
Extra tutorial for beginners
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
- LZI-2015: Year Abroadf Re-sit Portfolio
- LZI-3040: Italian Language 2 (3 Major)
- LZI-2032: 3 Lang Project (3 major)
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- R916: BA French, German & Italian year 2 (BA/FGI4#)
- R920: French, German and Italian with International Experience year 2 (BA/FGI4IE)
- R917: BA French, Italian & Spanish year 2 (BA/FIS4#)
- R925: BA German, Italian & Spanish year 2 (BA/GIS4#)