Modules for course W839 | BA/PWGD
BA Professional Writing with Game Design
These were the modules for this course in the 2017–18 academic year.
- UXS-1001: Intro to Practical Journalism (20) The Basics of Writing a News Story; How to write Intros, Drop Intros, Lively Intros; What makes a good news story?; Where do stories come from?; How to build a contacts book; How to conduct an interview; Writing for TV and Radio; Colour and Feature Writing; An Introduction to Shorthand; How to deal with breaking news.or
UXC-1001: Cyfl. i Newyddiaduraeth Ymarf. (20)Hanfodion ysgrifennu straeon newyddion; Sut i ysgrifennu Intros, Drop Intros, ac Intros Bywiog; Beth sy’n gwneud stori dda?; O le mae straeon yn dod?; Sut i greu llyfr contacts; Sut i gynnal cyfweliad; Ysgrifennu ar gyfer teledu a radio; Ysgrifennu erthyglau nodwedd; Cyflwyniad i llawfer; Ymdopi â newyddion sy’n torri.
- UXS-1017: Writing Across Media (20) In "Creating Narratives" you will have the opportunity to investigate, and participate in, a variety of creative activites relating to the production of fiction. You will be able to develop an awareness of issues connected with the writing and consumption of fiction (e.g.creative, cultural and technological issues), and discover how cultural norms and assumptions, and individually writerly actions, influence fiction writing choice and fiction readerships. You will look at contemporary fiction writing around the world in a variety of media, and consider the role of publishers and readers in the creative process.
- UXS-1800: Game Studies (20) Core
- UXS-1024: Introduction to Screenwriting (20) This module is an introduction to the basic underlying principles of screenwriting. It introduces students to key features of writing for film, and assesses them on their analyses of the screenplay form, plus the writing of a screenplay and treatment, and the pitching of an original concept. Students will primarily focus on writing for the short film format in order to facilitate their assessed short film screenplay assignment. Lectures will deliver various aspects of screenwriting, broken down week-by-week so that students can digest specific aspects of the craft of screenwriting. These include script formatting, style, structure, genre, plotting, characterisation and dialogue. Students will also learn how to present their work in the form of industry treatments and outlines, as well as techniques for outlining a concept orally, in the form of a film pitch. Students will be encouraged to develop professional writing habits and to give and receive critically constructive comment and advice. Seminar time will be spent discussing aspects of screenwriting, screened short films, as well as providing an opportunity for students to carry out creative screenwriting tasks in groups. Students will also be encouraged to critically peer evaluate the work of their cohort, and to analyse published screenplays, applying knowledge gained in the lecture. Students will also be required to read portions of screenplay extracts from published work prior to the seminars and lectures (uploaded to Blackboard) in order to analyse them during the seminars.
- UXS-1038: Intro' to Media Practice (20) This course will introduce students to the basic skills and techniques which will enable them to explore the principles of media production through creative work. Students will work in groups to produce two short media texts, using broadcast standard equipment. Students will also be taught how to analyse their own work within the context of theory, and to establish a relationship between media production theory and practice.or
UXC-1038: Cyf. i Ymarfer y Cyfryngau (20)Bydd y cwrs hwn yn cyflwyno myfyrwyr i'r sgiliau a'r technegau sylfaenol fydd yn eu galluogi i archwilio egwyddorion cynhyrchu'r cyfryngau trwy waith creadigol. Bydd myfyrwyr yn gweithio mewn grwpiau i gynhyrchu dau destun cyfryngau byr, gan ddefnyddio offer darlledu safonol. Caiff myfyrwyr hefyd eu dysgu i ddadansoddi eu gwaith eu hunain yng nghyd-destun theori, a chreu cysylltiad rhwng theori ac ymarfer cynhyrchu'r cyfryngau.
- UXS-1801: Game Design 1 (20) Core