Modules for course W9AF | MRES/PW
MRes Professional Writing
These are the modules currently offered on this course in the 2019–20 academic year.
You can also view the modules offered in the years: 2018–19.
- UXS-4038: Media, Culture & Creativity (30) Core This module encourages creative practitioners to situate their work within an academic context, as well as enabling researchers to engage with creative work as a form of academic enquiry. Students will explore the nature of creative research from the perspective of a number of disciplines, including science, psychology and the creative arts. The relationship between creativity and knowledge will be explored and creativity will be placed within a theoretical context that includes intention, innovation and practice. The process of creativity and the effect of research on creativity and practice will be explored. Students will have the opportunity to consider the research process, looking at elements, principles and theories of how creative and critical research correlate. Research design and methodology will be critically evaluated in order to assess the role of creative practice within research, looking especially at the types of research question for which creative practice is a suitable methodology, and how the consequences of the results of this research affect future actions. The module will prepare students, especially those going on to the Ph.D. or into employment in the culture and/or creative industries, with creative and critical self-consciousness, intellectual sophistication and scholarly confidence, whatever their specialist medium, period or genre.
- UXS-4052: Research Design (30) Core Topics to be covered include: • Module introduction, choosing a dissertation topic and constructing a research question. • Constructing a literature search. Critical analysis of existing works. • Research Methodologies. • Quantitative Methodology. • Qualitative Methodology. • Ethical Issues in Research. • Structure, Argument and Analysis. • Sources of Primary Material. • Preparing an Research Plan. • Giving an Oral Presentation. • Bibliography and Referencing
- UXS-4100: MRes Humanities: Dissertation (120) Core With guidance, students will be asked to choose a topic of their own for further research, They will be expected to produce an independently researched and produced piece which will reflect and prove the knowledge and skills they have acquired during the taught modules. The topic chosen may be specific to one culture or comparative.
- UXS-4100: MRes Humanities: Dissertation With guidance, students will be asked to choose a topic of their own for further research, They will be expected to produce an independently researched and produced piece which will reflect and prove the knowledge and skills they have acquired during the taught modules. The topic chosen may be specific to one culture or comparative.
- UXS-4099: Masters Dissertation (60) (Semester 3) Core The dissertation provides students with the opportunity to work with a specialist supervisor in the production of an extended piece of writing or practice. The work will, of necessity, go through a number of stages, and the supervisor will support the student in the effective revision of their work. The student will receive individual guidance. As well as developing high levels skills in rsearch and presentation, students will also develop important skills of self management.