Children w. Com. Difficulties
Run by School of Education and Human Development
20 Credits or 10 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Dr Marguerite Hoerger
Overall aims and purpose
This module will research into the effect of the different kinds of communication difficulties on children and young people. It will discuss the implications of language delay, language disorder, and different social communication disorders on the social interaction and behavioural/emotional development of children and young people in the context of the child’s home environment, school, and community. By using current research, theories and group discussion, the effect which children’s and young people’s social and communication difficulties have on their emotional and social development will be analysed. The module will also weigh up the effectiveness of intervention strategies.
This module will concentrate on the development of students’ critical understanding of social and communication difficulties, and analyse the effect of such conditions on the social interaction skills and emotional and social development of children and young people by giving attention to the following:
- What is communication and typical social and communication development?
- Different kinds of social and communication difficulties.
- Skill deficits in individuals with social and communication disorders.
- Intervention programmes and strategies to support children and young people with social and communication disorders.
- The impact of social and communication disorders on families.
D- to D+ Students should be able to present a satisfactory discussion of a social communication disorder and critically evaluate the current research related to an intervention that is appropriate for social communication disorders. They will be able to use their basic understanding to demonstrate how social communication disorders affect children and families and the short- and long-term implications of the difficulties on the development of children and young people.
C- to C+ Students should be able to present a good discussion of a social communication disorder and critically evaluate the current research related to an intervention that is appropriate for social communication disorders. They will be able to use their understanding to demonstrate how social communication disorders affect children and families and the short- and long-term implications of the difficulties on the development of children and young people.
A- to A* Students should be able to present an outstanding in-depth discussion of a social communication disorder and critically evaluate the current research related to an intervention that is appropriate for social communication disorders. They will be able to use their deep understanding to demonstrate how social communication disorders affect children and families and the short- and long-term implications of the difficulties on the development of children and young people.
Demonstrate a thorough knowledge and understanding of social and communication difficulties and their implications on children and young people and their families.
Appraise critically the research concerning interventions for social and communication disorders..
Demonstrate critical understanding of the effect of social and communication difficulties on the social and emotional behaviour of children and young people, and the implications of this on their development within the family and society.
Evaluate the methods of recognising, responding to and supporting the needs of children and young people with social and communication difficulties.
Analyse, discuss and critically reflect on their personal learning experiences and relating these to their own opinions and ideas on children and young people with social and communication difficulties and their effects on their emotional and social development.
|Written assignment, including essay||Short Essay on the Etiology and Diagnosis of a Child with Language and Communication Difficulties||
This assignment asks you to write a concise description of a social communication disorder. You will be able to choose which social communication disorder you want to describe. The purpose of the assignment is to describe the main characteristics of the disorder, how it presents itself, how it affects children and their families, its causes and risk factors, and how a diagnosis is made.
|Written assignment, including essay||Critical analysis of an intervention for children with social and communication difficulties||
This assignment asks you to describe one intervention for the disorder that you chose in assignment 1. You will be required to describe a particular skill deficit associated with the disorder and to identify and describe an intervention that targets that particular skill deficit. You will then be asked to review the evidence base for the intervention and to conclude by justifying whether you would recommend the intervention for children with your chosen disorder.
Teaching and Learning Strategy
Reading time, preparing and completing assignments
Eleven at 2-hours each. Class time will consist of a combination of lectures, group discussions and exercises
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Numeracy - Proficiency in using numbers at appropriate levels of accuracy
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Safety-Consciousness - Having an awareness of your immediate environment, and confidence in adhering to health and safety regulations
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
- Mentoring - Able to support, help, guide, inspire and/or coach others
- Caring - Showing concern for others; caring for children, people with disabilities and/or the elderly
- Management - Able to utilise, coordinate and control resources (human, physical and/or financial)
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
- Leadership - Able to lead and manage, develop action plans and objectives, offer guidance and direction to others, and cope with the related pressures such authority can result in
Talis Reading listhttp://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/xae-3038.html
Frith (2008). Autism: A very short introduction. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press
Hollander, Kolevzon, & Coyle (2011). Textbook of Autism Spectrum Disorders. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Publishing Inc.
Schwartz (2011). Handbook of child language disorders. Hoboken, NJ: Taylor and Francis
Volkmar & Wiesner (2009). A practical guide to autism: what every parent, family member, and teacher needs to know. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons
Courses including this module
Optional in courses:
- X314: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid year 3 (BA/API)
- X316: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Chymdeithaseg year 3 (BA/APIC)
- X318: BA Astudiaeth Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Pholisi Cymdeithasol year 3 (BA/APIPC)
- X320: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Seicoleg year 3 (BA/APIS)
- X319: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Psychology year 3 (BA/CYP)
- X313: BA Childhood and Youth Studies year 3 (BA/CYS)
- X317: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Social Policy year 3 (BA/CYSP)
- X315: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Sociology year 3 (BA/CYSS)
- X321: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Chymraeg year 3 (BA/PIC)