Intro Hospitality, Events & Op
Introduction to Hospitality: Events and Operations 2023-24
Bangor Business School
Module - Semester 1 & 2
- History of the hospitality industry.
- Diversity of the industry, including: o Commercial and non-commercial organisations. o Hotels and other accommodation provision. o Food and beverage provision.
- How hospitality fits into society & local culture.
- Accommodation operation styles.
- Food and beverage operation styles, skills and techniques.
- Factors that may influence hospitality businesses. o Legislation o Accommodation business styles and trends o Food & beverage business styles and trends o Trends in tourism o Local / national economies
-threshold -D- to D+ (40-49%): No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.
-good -B- to B+ (60-69%): Very good performance Most of the relevant information accurately deployed. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
-excellent -A- to A+ (70%+): Outstanding Performance. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
-another level-C- to C+ (50-59%): Much of the relevant information and skills mostly accurately deployed. Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
- Analyse and categorise the diversity of the hospitality industry within a variety of accommodation and food & beverage contexts
- Appreciate how hospitality fits into society & local culture.
- Explain & appraise the economic contributions of hospitality organisations to local and national economies
- Explain and appraise the contribution that both accommodation and food & beverage operations make to the profitability of an organisation.
- Identify the key concepts and terminology within hospitality, events and operations
- Understand and evaluate external factors that influence the hospitality industry.
An individual assignment identifying and discussing the diversity of both accommodation and food & beverage operations across a variety of hospitality contexts, explaining the financial and social contributions that hospitality organisations make to local and national economies
An individual presentation that will identify and explain how external factors influence and impact all aspects of accommodation, food & beverage and events operations. Twenty minute presentation to include questions