Chem. in Biol. and Environ.
Chem. in Biol. and Environ. 2022-23
School Of Natural Sciences
Module - Semester 2
Pre-requisites GCSE Chemistry or FXX0010 preferred or equivalent qualifications.
This course comprises of two main areas:
(1) Chemistry in the Environment - (12 lectures)
This series of lectures will examine examples of the key underlying chemistry relevant to processes in the atmosphere, hydrosphere and geosphere.
(2) Chemistry in Biological Systems - Bio-active Molecules - (12 lectures) An introduction to biologically active compounds: including carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, and secondary metabolites.
Course Team: Dr E. Harper (24 lectures)
-threshold -Threshold (40%). Knowledge and understanding of the content covered in the course is basic; Problems of a routine nature are generally adequately solved.
-good -Good (~60%). Knowledge base covers all essential aspects of subject matter dealt with in the programme and shows good evidence of enquiry beyond this. Conceptual understanding is good. Problems of a familiar and unfamiliar nature are solved in a logical manner; solutions are generally correct and acceptable.
-excellent -Excellent (>70%). Knowledge base is extensive and extends well beyond the work covered in the programme. Conceptual understanding is outstanding. Problems of a familiar and unfamiliar nature are solved with efficiency and accuracy; problem-solving procedures are adjusted to the nature of the problem.
- On succesful completion of the module you will be able to describe key chemical processes studies relating to the atmosphere, hydrosphere and geosphere.
- On successful completion of the module, you will be able to define biologically-active compounds in relation to the concentration at which an effect is observed.
- On successful completion of the module, you will be able to draw chemical structures and representations of some of the major classes of biomolecules and explain their importance in nature.
An end of semester examination on biologically active compounds including primary and secondary metabolites and their importance in nature.
An online test on key chemical processes relating to the atmosphere, hydrosphere and geosphere.