Foundation in Molecules and Cells
Foundation in Molecules and Cells 2022-23
School Of Medical And Health Sciences
Module - Semester 1 & 2
The module will cover the key molecules and pathways involved in metabolism, cell division and protein expression within the human body, showing the relationships between these processes and the differences in distinct tissues. The important role of enzymes in the control of biochemical pathways will be introduced, as will an introduction to cell signalling.
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of the structure of the human genome, and key concepts concerning inheritance.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the mechanisms by which signals are transmitted between and within cells
- Explain the action and inhibition of enzymes, and the importance of cofactors.
- Identify the structure and function of eukaryotic cellular organelles.
- Interpret chemical pathways associated with carbohydrate, lipid and protein metabolism in humans.
- Outline the cell cycle including DNA replication and cell death.
- Outline the structure and function of major biological molecules (including DNA and RNA).
Multiple Choice Question Exam
Written exam comprising short answer questions and 1 essay